Holiday Camp On The Outskirts Of Sheffield.

For people who arn't bothered about going abroad or trekking out to the coast wouldn't it be an idea to have holiday camps on the outskirts of the city ie,  Foxhouse or Rothervalley area for example,  I saw a TV show  about  Belgium and the Netherlands and saw, just a short ride out of their main towns they have camps with statics, chalets, and tourer areas,  shower blocks toilets,  clubhouse and a permant fair ground, dodgems and all the usual fair stuff plus a big lake for water sports,  I know we have center parks but these camps over there or more like our pontins ect but without the two hour journey to Skeggy, Blackpool ect,  or  one hour  journey to cleethorpes,  just asking Forumers thoughts, good idea or bad idea.

I believe Gullivers Theme park has camping/accommodation. According to Google maps there is also a campsite near Gullivers and it's saying 22 mins drive from Sheffield.

15 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

I believe Gullivers Theme park has camping/accommodation. According to Google maps there is also a campsite near Gullivers and it's saying 22 mins drive from Sheffield.

Cheers for the info, I thought they were just theme parks, I know certain fishing venues have sites too,  it would be nice to see Millhouses revived, Lido, bit of a theme park or permanent fun fair, could create some employment aswell. :thumbsup:

26 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

It's called Wales wood camping and caravan park. An excellent place overlooking Rother Valley park. 

2 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

For people who arn't bothered about going abroad or trekking out to the coast wouldn't it be an idea to have holiday camps on the outskirts of the city ie,  Foxhouse or Rothervalley area for example,  I saw a TV show  about  Belgium and the Netherlands and saw, just a short ride out of their main towns they have camps with statics, chalets, and tourer areas,  shower blocks toilets,  clubhouse and a permant fair ground, dodgems and all the usual fair stuff plus a big lake for water sports,  I know we have center parks but these camps over there or more like our pontins ect but without the two hour journey to Skeggy, Blackpool ect,  or  one hour  journey to cleethorpes,  just asking Forumers thoughts, good idea or bad idea.

No doubt planning permission and NIMBY's would be the only problem.

I always thought we should have had a Sundowners (formally Pet's Corner') on the door step instead of bussing Sheffield kids out to Lincolnshire. There have been other smaller places, Hacienda at Stainforth, Doncaster, etc and bigger places. American adventure, a sad failure.

One of the Father in laws story's was of the wartime holidays they had at Upper Bradfield.

Have us Sheffield'ers not been spoilt by such easy access to the moors etc where spending all day in't country side and returning back to your own bed was a bonus.

See the source image

Backwards, upside down looking at the sky, what better way to travel 🥴 🤣 .

See the source image

12 minutes ago, West 77 said:

A good topic.  I know someone who lives less than 5 miles from Clumber Park and regular takes his camper van for weekends to sleep there.

The Hacienda isn't actually in Stainforth it self but had a bad reputation because when the working mens clubs and pubs shut on Friday and Saturdays nights residents of Stainforth headed there because they had a late drinking licence.  They also use to hold a car boot sale there.

I have just looked at some photo's of the Hacienda and could see why it attracted the locals but surely the management should have installed a  resident members only policy especially as they are paying to holiday there,  Clumber park is ideal as an activities or relaxation venue on the same lines as Centre parks but I would like to see a Butlins/Pontins, family freindly  on the outskirts, I stand corrected when I mentioned Foxhouse/Peak dist in a previous post, my God! We are so lucky to have natural  beauty on our doorstep and God forbid anyone trying change it. 

2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I'm talking about well over 30 years ago.  The night club wasn't opened to attract residents of people staying in caravans.  Hopefully things have calmed down a bit now.

Tbh I've never heard of the place till now, I thought it was some type holiday park with a clubhouse. 

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

I'm talking about well over 30 years ago.  The night club wasn't opened to attract residents of people staying in caravans.  Hopefully things have calmed down a bit now.

most of the inland caravan dwellers in the area, now live in houses :bigsmile: .

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

Tbh I've never heard of the place till now, I thought it was some type holiday park with a clubhouse. 

Hemsworth Water Park & Play World (Kinsley, Pontefract) used to be a popular day out for families (Wakefield Donni, Barnsley).

It is still open, there is a beach, water pedalos etc etc, used to be very popular when the pub was there.

I always thought it would have been perfect for tourers / statics.

See the source image

48 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

most of the inland caravan dwellers in the area, now live in houses :bigsmile: .

Hemsworth Water Park & Play World (Kinsley, Pontefract) used to be a popular day out for families (Wakefield Donni, Barnsley).

It is still open, there is a beach, water pedalos etc etc, used to be very popular when the pub was there.

I always thought it would have been perfect for tourers / statics.

See the source image

Spot on Rockers,  that is  what I would like to see here. :thumbsup:

Seriously? A holiday camp in Rother Valley Park, ha, ha!!

1 hour ago, sedith said:

Seriously? A holiday camp in Rother Valley Park, ha, ha!!

Whats so funny about that! They already have caravans/tourers next to water ski clubhouse, a cafe, cycles of all types for hire, pedlos,canoes, a  kiddies train ride, and they use to have a massive fun fair every summer Im not sure if that still happens but could be rebooked, plus there is Gullivers theme park,  a few chalets and a shower block would make a decent short stay holiday venue, in other words it has  already got the  basics, can't see what you find funny.

• Like 1

In all my 62 years of being on this Earth living in Sheffield I've never been to Rother Valley Park 😄