Petrol Warning Light Not Showing

Anyone have any clues as to why my petrol warning light don't come on when low on fuel light works when ignition is on it lights up till u turn car over not a big issue just curious what can cause it

54 minutes ago, Hans-solo said:

Anyone have any clues as to why my petrol warning light don't come on when low on fuel light works when ignition is on it lights up till u turn car over not a big issue just curious what can cause it

Level sensor not working?

11 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Level sensor not working?

Is that in tank I've no idea with cars

10 minutes ago, Hans-solo said:

Is that in tank I've no idea with cars

Hmmm... :huh:

This seems very odd!

The fuel sender unit inside the tank works by means of a float sending a signal to the fuel gauge/light.

The usual problem is if this float is split, when it gets filled with fuel and sinks - but that gives the opposite to what you're describing - as a full tank is indicated as empty.

The only thing I can think is the sender unit float is somehow sticking when the fuel level falls, and therefore still indicates a full tank.

It's quite an easy job(normally) to remove the sender unit from the tank(normally through a hatch under the back seat or in the boot) but if you've no idea about cars GET A GARAGE TO LOOK AT IT!

DON'T go messing with fuel systems if you have no clue what you're doing!!! :shakes:

3 hours ago, Hans-solo said:

Little confusing.

The lights on the dash will come on when you turn the ignition on,  check what ever system its checking if something isn't right i.e.; door open etc it will show you. As there is fuel in the tank albeit low, in theory there is nothing wrong (?)  (see below)

Is it only the warning light when the fuel is low you are concerned about

The low fuel light will not work straight away, in some cars, if the battery has been replaced or disconnected,

but will reset itself once it gets used to reaching low fuel a few times, usually a couple of times or when 60 miles has been travelled depending on the make of car.

Other than that it will be the sender unit.

Hope the above makes  sense  8) .

Does your car have a range to empty display? 

If it does then fuel lights are generally programmed to come on when RTE hits an estimated 50miles or less left. 

My old car could be resting practically on empty before it got to the >50mile point. 

4 hours ago, Resident said:

Does your car have a range to empty display? 

If it does then fuel lights are generally programmed to come on when RTE hits an estimated 50miles or less left. 

My old car could be resting practically on empty before it got to the >50mile point. 

It has a low fuel audible warning which works fine gauge seems to work fine just light don't come on anymore was fine till it had cambelt done might have been a coincidence though

27 minutes ago, Hans-solo said:

It has a low fuel audible warning which works fine gauge seems to work fine just light don't come on anymore was fine till it had cambelt done might have been a coincidence though

As I said, there's a good chance they had the battery disconnected when doing the cambelt.