Trying To Work Out Mileage For Local Journey?

What she showed me was a full tank, and then after, so she 'worked out' what she had left, and the cost was the difference

another for the experts, sharrow lane to wentworth woodhouse,  then wentworth garden centre, then back to sharrow lane, M1 going, burngreave rd, back, 1l Toyota Aygo, 2005

The first post suggests you already know how to use google maps yourself

It's already been explained that using a range left estimate is not the way to calculate mileage, you need to read the odometer.

If you don't believe google maps, read the odometer before the journey, read it after, work out the difference. Multiply the answer by 45p/mile.

Edited by fools

12 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

What she showed me was a full tank, and then after, so she 'worked out' what she had left, and the cost was the difference

Yup, she is doing it totally wrong. And even worse is she probably knows this and is using it as an excuse to get a few more pennies out of people.

29 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yup, she is doing it totally wrong. And even worse is she probably knows this and is using it as an excuse to get a few more pennies out of people.

Hmmm... :huh:

Well if you're right Mr Risen, it's a bit more serious than 'an excuse to get a few more pennies out of people'.

It used to be called 'fiddling your expenses'...
... but now I believe it's just called 'fraud'! :suspect:

Here's a quote from an interesting report from last month's Financial Times (but it won't link because it's behind a paywall) :(

EDIT: If anyone wants to read the full article, type "fiddling expenses fraud" into Google and it's the first result :)

https://www.ft.com/content/cfe33be6-78ee-4833-a680-b9954d4500fd

Exaggerating road travel distances was so widespread that people scarcely seemed to deem it fraud. “While around half of the respondents have submitted false mileage reports, only one in 10 admit to committing fraud,” one survey found.

Edited by Mr Bloke

13 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

There can only be a full tank the moment she leaves the filling station, so the only accurate way to work out consumption using this method is to fill up again once the round trip has been completed. This depends upon there being a filling station on the route.

But why use this method at all if she receives a mileage allowance? Much simpler to take odometer readings and subtract one from the other like 99 people out of 100 would.

28 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

But why use this method at all if she receives a mileage allowance? 

Because she has probably realised doing lots of stop-start driving in urban areas means she can use the "range to empty" display and attempt a fiddle.

Or, she is just thick. Maybe the innocent explanation is the correct one.

If she works for an agency you need to be having a word with them.

Edited by HeHasRisen

14 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

another for the experts, sharrow lane to wentworth woodhouse,  then wentworth garden centre, then back to sharrow lane, M1 going, burngreave rd, back, 1l Toyota Aygo, 2005

Is this through a company (could just be your carer as a company) or just an informal arrangement?

Do you get invoiced for the service provided?

Feels like the mileage is a business expense and your carer should be claiming it back from her employer at 45p a mile.

I've no experience of the world of care provision, but in my world, that's how it would work.