Time To Revert To Nuclear Power?

We all need power. It's a prerequisite of a modern world. But we also need to protect the planet.

Wouldn't it be great if we had a way of generating cheap, clean energy for all?

Well we already have it with Nuclear Power. Clean, cheap energy.

What amazes me is we live in a country sitting on numerous ageing nuclear bombs in secret silos, but avoid building safe nuclear power stations because they come with a slight risk, which can be reduced with location, safety measures and careful monitoring.

Do we prefer people superglueing themselves to the highway?

Edited by Anna B

Nuclear power is great.

The waste, sadly, isn't.

There's nothing remotely cheap about it.

And nuclear bombs are nothing like nuclear power stations.

New reactors will inevitably mean more radioactive waste. Nuclear waste decommissioning, as of 2019, was already estimated to cost UK taxpayers £3 billion per year. 

'Most radioactive' particle found on beach near Dounreay
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-17098948

Radioactive waste was dumped in Irish Sea

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/radioactive-waste-was-dumped-in-irish-sea-1.86450#:~:text=THE British government will admit,for the last 13 years.

21 minutes ago, Anna B said:

We all need power. It's a prerequisite of a modern world. But we also need to protect the planet.

What amazes me is we live in a country sitting on numerous ageing nuclear bombs in secret silos, but avoid building safe nuclear power stations because they come with a slight risk, which can be reduced with location, safety measures and careful monitoring.

Lets get started on fracking..

Guest sibon
21 minutes ago, Anna B said:

You might want to ask the French about that.

They are heading for big trouble because of their reliance on nuclear power.

4 minutes ago, sibon said:

You might want to ask the French about that.

They are heading for big trouble because of their reliance on nuclear power.

Mixed methods og generation are undoubtedly best. Relying on one source is probably not a good idea, I just think Nuclear should be part of the mix. 

Guest sibon
15 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Mixed methods og generation are undoubtedly best. Relying on one source is probably not a good idea, I just think Nuclear should be part of the mix. 

I couldn't agree more.

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I just think Nuclear should be part of the mix. 

Are you stuck in the 1950s Time Tunnel.

Edited by fools

5 minutes ago, fools said:

Are you stuck in the 1950s Time Tunnel.

Hmmm... :huh:

I don't think it's that Cold War that we're discussing here, Mr Fools... :roll:

56 minutes ago, Anna B said:

It's not cheap or clean and that is just two problems with using it.

What amazes me is we live in a country sitting on numerous ageing nuclear bombs in secret silos,

There are no ageing nuclear bombs and half of what we do have are operationally available and deployable in our nuclear subs. The rest, granted, are in secret silos for a reason. 

but avoid building safe nuclear power stations because they come with a slight risk, which can be reduced with location, safety measures and careful monitoring.

You seem to be very mixed up on the difference between nuclear bombs and nuclear power generation as both work on a very different nuclear principle.

I prefer them to do that as at least we know where these nutters are.

So many of these people who bang on about the climate emergency and talk down to the rest of us, are the same people who don't want tidal power (bad for wading birds, apparently), don't want nuclear power ("radioactive waste"), don't want expensive power (the poor can't afford it) etc etc.

They think we can get out of this by insulating people's houses, which is cobblers, because we have a very well insulated house with a 3kW solar system and even at 2019 prices (we fixed it) it costs nearly £1500 a year in power bills.

Basically they are living in a fools paradise.

They want to start accepting there are some very tough choices they are going to have to make because we are not going to get to where they think we need to be by taking away people's cars and foreign holidays plus expecting them to live in a houses  heated to only 15 degrees C. Because they will not accept it.

Edited by Chekhov

Plans have already started to investigate the building of Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) & Sheffield is at the forefront of the technology. 

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nuclear-amrc-support-next-phase-rolls-royce-smr-development

We need to get the power from somewhere.  

Only a fool would put all their eggs into one basket when it comes to energy supplies.  The more options to produce electricity the better. 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1