52a Bus Service Very Poor

11 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

It is much easier for the trains and should have been for the tram if the PTE were not so incompetent (the last few times I have been to Parkgate the display has not even bothered with tram times and says for information you should contact a member of staff  not so easy at an unmanned station with no mention of how if you have not noticed the help speaker).

For the buses it is a bit harder but that is not an excuse it is about the PTE understanding the whole subject and designing a system that is fit for purpose not just when things are all working as they should but the inevitable times when things go wrong. It is inexcusable able that non existent buses are shown

When it was introduced it was the cheapest one on offer (surprise surprise) and not fit for the purpose. 

The system works on the tracking systems of the buses but when it cannot track a bus it will default to the predetermined timetable. For it not to display a bus that simply isn't coming, someone in the office has to physically login and remove the entry. This never happens. Operators used to email them to have journeys adjusted/cancelled off the screen and it never got done. 

Terrible service from 52a and 52 to woodhouse tonight on west st - got to stop at before 1030pm and no sign of either 52 - fortunately a reliable 30a turned up at 1105. The 52 bus service has definitely gone from one of the best to one of the worst- shambolic is putting it politely 

On 21/05/2022 at 00:10, creweblade said:

Terrible service from 52a and 52 to woodhouse tonight on west st - got to stop at before 1030pm and no sign of either 52 - fortunately a reliable 30a turned up at 1105. The 52 bus service has definitely gone from one of the best to one of the worst- shambolic is putting it politely 

Is that towards Woodhouse - the 52/52a doesn't use West Street in that direction on Saturday nights due to the council often closing Carver Street and Division Street at night https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-updates/serviceupdatesarticle?SituationId=ID-19/08/2021-12:07:07:261

This website is always useful to have bookmarked - choose the area then click on map to see buses tracking live https://bustimes.org/districts/263

Edited by Andy C

On 12/05/2022 at 20:31, LovePotion said:

I wonder how many people travel on the 52a from Wisewood/Loxley right through to the city centre? The bus seems fairly empty beyond Hillsborough towards Wisewood from what I have seen. If running trans-city is key to providing a service, then perhaps they should re-route the 95a to Wisewood instead of Walkley (does Walkley really need three bus services?) and simply run the 52a to/from Hillsborough.

I used to, it's my only bus into town.  It takes an age because of the route that it takes and, as the thread says, is extremely unreliable.  Our old bus, the 14, went direct to town via Middlewood Road and Langsett Road.

Since the 52a started running when it wants, rather than to a timetable, I have been walking the mile into Hillsborough to catch the quicker and more reliable tram service; not everyone is able to do this.

• Thanks 1