Vegans V Vegetarians

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Chekhov said:

It isn't, as we were discussing this before the article came to light. In addition, as I have already mentioned, it was on R4, on Monday aft I seem to remember.

They had two people on, one from a Vegetarian organisation and one from a Vegan one, then got them to debate it. That was where I heard the Vegan woman saying she was quite happy for eateries to just serve Vegan options and thought it reasonable. Which is what really annoyed me as she was basically just being selfish.

The fact the representative of the Vegetarian society had actually turned Vegan "last year" made it a bit of a pointless exercise because, by definition, he was now happy to just eat Vegan food. Not much chance of a debate then, and there was none, just a "love in".

OK let's review the discussion so far.  The claim is that "Many vegetarians are not happy at only being given vegan options" (post #37).  So far, the evidence for the prosecution is:

-- The opinion of your wife, who is not a vegetarian.

-- A clickbait article in the Guardian that didn't contain any evidence that would hold up in court.

-- An item on Radio 4 which I didn't hear but presumably didn't contain any evidence either, since you describe it as a "love in" and a "pointless exercise".

Against this, all of the vegetarians on the forum who have contributed to this thread have said that they don't mind only being given vegan options.  Which seems plausible a priori - it's hard to imagine anybody craving dairy products to the extent that they need to have them at every meal.

I put it to you that your opinion may be being coloured by your experience of having been served a rubbish vegetarian (vegan) option on an Air France flight - France not exactly being a country that is renowned for its vegetarian (let alone vegan) cuisine.  Your premise that vegan food is necessarily lacking in flavour is a false one.

Edited by CaptainSwing
  • Like 1

Been away for awhile nice to see the o/p showing himself up as his usual seLFISH self.

as a vegetarian he and a his wife should try putting thier faux Vegetarian/ Vegan problems where the Sunshine deli doesn't shine!  Other vegan  eateries are available outside of Hillsborough.

7 hours ago, steve68 said:

Been away for awhile nice to see the o/p showing himself up as his usual seLFISH self.

Do you think it is he who shall not be named?

15 hours ago, cgksheff said:

Do you think it is he who shall not be named?

Sensing he could be going for  a new banner opportunity, Rage against the Carrot :x

On 13/05/2022 at 20:56, CaptainSwing said:

OK let's review the discussion so far.  The claim is that "Many vegetarians are not happy at only being given vegan options" (post #37).  So far, the evidence for the prosecution is:

-- The opinion of your wife, who is not a vegetarian.

-- A clickbait article in the Guardian that didn't contain any evidence that would hold up in court.

-- An item on Radio 4 which I didn't hear but presumably didn't contain any evidence either, since you describe it as a "love in" and a "pointless exercise".

Against this, all of the vegetarians on the forum who have contributed to this thread have said that they don't mind only being given vegan options.  Which seems plausible a priori - it's hard to imagine anybody craving dairy products to the extent that they need to have them at every meal.

I put it to you that your opinion may be being coloured by your experience of having been served a rubbish vegetarian (vegan) option on an Air France flight - France not exactly being a country that is renowned for its vegetarian (let alone vegan) cuisine.  Your premise that vegan food is necessarily lacking in flavour is a false one.

It wasn't me being served a vegan meal.

My premise that restricting what ingredients one can use to make meals will inevitably affect choice variety and flavour is patently unarguable.

Ask a fruitarian......

Do they even exist ?

And the R4 debate between a vegan and  a vegetarian was a love in not a debate because the vegetarian was now  a vegan.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

My premise that restricting what ingredients one can use to make meals will inevitably affect choice variety and flavour is patently unarguable.

Personally I find there is an abundant variety of vegan ingredients  that are available these days, therefore going Vegan it isn't limiting in anyway,  either when home cooking or eating out.

the only limitation that is constantly on show here is yourself.

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

It wasn't me being served a vegan meal.

Ask a fruitarian......

Do they even exist ?

Whether that's true or not, it's irrelevant to your thesis that "many vegetarians are not happy at only being given vegan options" in restaurants etc.  It would only be relevant to the thesis that you think they ought not to be happy, which I think we have established.

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

And the R4 debate between a vegan and  a vegetarian was a love in not a debate because the vegetarian was now  a vegan.

OK, so we can scratch that from the list of supposed evidence.