Vegans V Vegetarians

2 minutes ago, sibon said:

It isn't unreasonable though. Restaurants operate in a free market. Don't like it? Eat elsewhere.

You can't go to McDonald's and get pizza, you get what they serve.  Their business, their choice.

There are thousands of Restaurants locally. Choose one with food you like and stop whining about the choices that others make.

When it comes to restaurants you might be right, but not, for example, on airlines. 

But this thread might achieve something if it educates some restaurateurs that vegan is not the same as vegetarian, and not all vegetarians are happy to just be offered vegan options. And there are a lot more vegetarians than vegans......

Guest sibon
7 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

When it comes to restaurants you might be right, but not, for example, on airlines. 

But this thread might achieve something if it educates some restaurateurs that vegan is not the same as vegetarian, and not all vegetarians are happy to just be offered vegan options. And there are a lot more vegetarians than vegans......

Maybe so.

Perhaps we could also learn to distinguish between vegetarians and non vegetarians.

9 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

1 minute ago, sibon said:

Maybe so.

Perhaps we could also learn to distinguish between vegetarians and non vegetarians.

My wife would not fly Air France Premium economy again, she was that ****ed off......

Guest sibon
2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

My wife would not fly Air France Premium economy again, she was that ****ed off......

She could go business class.

Or take a tuna sandwich with her.

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

Good for her , its her choice . Her choice to eat what she wants , if an establishment does not cater for her , its her choice not to use it . Where is this fake problem you are finding ?

35 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

That is an arrogant thing to say. My wife does not eat meat and she is not happy about the veggie options at more and more eateries being vegan*. They do it because it is easier for them, despite the fact that :

1 - Many vegetarians are not happy at only being given vegan options, and

2 - There are a lot more vegetarians (and pescatarians) than vegans

* She is not on her own as an article on BBC R4's PM reported the other night.

Can't argue with that.

Your wife eats fish. She's not even a vegetarian, let alone a typical one. All the self confessed vegetarians on this thread are happy with restaurants supplying a vegan option as they only non omnivore dish. Some vegetarians might be annoyed at it but the vast majority aren't. In my experience of being a veggie for 35 years I've never met one who was bothered by it.

32 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You went on Air France and were fed vegetables in tomato sauce. It sounds like that classic French dish ratatouille. It's entirely unsurprising that the French would choose to serve ratatouille as the vegan option on their national airline.

3 minutes ago, altus said:

You went on Air France and were fed vegetables in tomato sauce. It sounds like that classic French dish ratatouille. It's entirely unsurprising that the French would choose to serve ratatouille as the vegan option on their national airline.

I think hes posting ,just for the sakes of posting 

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I think hes posting ,just for the sakes of posting 

I think you're right. I'll leave him to rant on into the night.

15 hours ago, altus said:

Your wife eats fish. She's not even a vegetarian, let alone a typical one. All the self confessed vegetarians on this thread are happy with restaurants supplying a vegan option as they only non omnivore dish. Some vegetarians might be annoyed at it but the vast majority aren't. In my experience of being a veggie for 35 years I've never met one who was bothered by it.

You are talking rubbish, I take it you did not hear the article on R4 ?

Basic logic proves what you are saying to be ballcox.

Why are most people meat eaters and not vegetarian ? Because they like the food options that being  a meat eater gives them.

Why are some people vegetarian rather than vegan ? Because they like the food options that being  a vegetarian (rather than a vegan) gives them.

So why would vegetarians be happy to have their food choices limited ?

There is no reason why they would whatsoever.

I admit many might just run  with it because they have no choice, but there is no reason why they would be happy with it, if they were they'd be, err, vegans.

15 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I think he's posting , just for the sakes of posting 

I think you're talking about most people on forums, and esp on this thread, arguing that black is white.

Edited by Chekhov

15 hours ago, altus said:

In my experience of being a veggie for 35 years I've never met one who was bothered by it.

The "non problem" (which, apparently, I just made up) :

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/may/20/who-moved-my-cheese-the-silent-battle-between-vegetarians-and-vegans

The silent battle between vegetarians and vegans

The recent explosion in vegan food has not been without pushback. Mainly from bolshily indignant meat-eaters who take it as a personal affront. But could a far more peaceable group, vegetarians, also be finding all that vegan energy a bit, well, irritating?

Vegetarians are asking: who moved my cheese? They are seeing their halloumi burgers, sour cream-dressed burritos or blue cheese and mushroom wellingtons removed in favour of vegan meat-free dishes. There is low-level grumbling at this new dairy-free landscape, talk of being “screwed” by vegans and, as one Guardian colleague describes it, “a little silent war” developing between the rival groups.

“I don’t think vegans have ruined everything for vegetarians. It’s down to lazy restaurateurs, I guess – doing one option to cover both,” says Ruth, a 35-year-old professional from Manchester.

Guest sibon
23 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Why are most people meat eaters and not vegetarian ? Because they like the food options that being  a meat eater gives them.

Why are some people vegetarian rather than vegan ? Because they like the food options that being  a vegetarian (rather than a vegan) gives them.

So why would vegetarians be happy to have their food choices limited ?

If we apply logic to those three statements, we are left with a nagging question.

Do you know what logic is?