Vegans V Vegetarians

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

But the idea is to sell food at venues to make a profit and if meat eaters eat it as well then is a good thing for the vendors. Not sure if people are cutting down much on meat eating either. 

UK Meat consumption is down by about a fifth in the last decade.

29 minutes ago, sibon said:

UK Meat consumption is down by about a fifth in the last decade.

17% the last time I looked which given that's over a 10 year period is really not that much. Just read it is about the equivalent of not eating around two and a half sausage's a week.

To be honest I'm now not so sure of the 17% claim either as it seems they are equating a reduction of 17 grams consumption per day as 17%?

Edited by Dromedary

1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

But the idea is to sell food at venues to make a profit and if meat eaters eat it as well then is a good thing for the vendors.

Absolutely. I was just pointing out that you'd need more provision than the 9% veggie+vegan proportion of the population would imply.

Not sure if people are cutting down much on meat eating either.

The supermarkets must be wasting a lot of money on all the meat free products they stock if they aren't selling.

7 minutes ago, altus said:

Absolutely. I was just pointing out that you'd need more provision than the 9% veggie+vegan proportion of the population would imply.

The supermarkets must be wasting a lot of money on all the meat free products they stock if they aren't selling.

One thing I have noticed is that those products may be meat free but they are generally much more expensive as well and the choices and stock not many. Given the current inflation we now have I think price is more of a determining factor than anything else. Saw some eating apples for sale yesterday in Sainsburys at 50p each!

Edited by Dromedary

3 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

One thing I have noticed is that those products may be meat free but they are generally much more expensive as well and the choices and stock not many. Given the current inflation we now have I think price is more of a determining factor than anything else. Saw some eating apples for sale yesterday in Sainsburys at 50p each!

There's certainly a lot of companies jumping on the bandwagon and taking advantage of the fact that those switching tent to be more affluent. Ironic really since a bag of dried pulses, some veg and cooking something yourself is even cheaper than doing the equivalent with cheap cuts of meat.

5 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

You didnt realise there was a difference between the two? Vegetarians dont eat meat, vegans dont eat meat or animal products (such as cheese, milk). 

Well as the opening post states, anyone selling vegan food would automatically cover both bases anyway. Maybe look to get an Indian vendor, lots of Indian food is vegan or veggie. Most other vendors would likely have those options anyway (for example, meat or dairy free pizzas, a chip stall would have lots of veggie options)

Of course, you dont HAVE to offer a 100% vegan stall. Any non-militant vegan would go to an event like this and expect their options to be limited as you cant revolve the whole thing around their very specific dietary requirements.

And people taking that attitude is why Vegetarians get a poor deal out of all this. You might as well say meat eaters can eat vegan food, so don't bother with meat and just do vegan food for everyone.

It's lazy for caterers to take the view you are suggesting, they deserve to go bust.

4 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Given the above information on demographics then your stall menu should be around 6% vegetarian, 5% pescetarian and 3% vegan so it should not necessary to have separate stalls to cater for the difference as that difference is very small.

And 86% omniverous......

Edited by Chekhov

4 hours ago, horribleblob said:

At festivals and other events, I've found that the vegetarian caterers usually have vegan options too.

I, or rather my pescatarian  wife, is more bothered about restaurants and, even worse, airlines etc. I'd have thought vegetarian eateries are more likely to offer vegetarian and vegan choices as that is their speciality.

I have seen some of the meals she has been offered on some airlines, vegan ones  (basically vegetables in sauce) and it's a disgrace. Not that we do any flying at the moment, and will not till things get back to 2019 normal

3 hours ago, altus said:

Given the number of people cutting down on, rather than eliminating, meat eating, only providing just enough veggie and vegan food for those who are veggie and vegan would result in it running out as meat eaters would consume a lot of it.

I'm unconvinced by that.

Edited by Chekhov

9 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I, or rather my pescatarian  wife, is more bothered about restaurants and, even worse, airlines etc. I'd have thought vegetarian eateries are more likely to offer vegetarian and vegan choices as that is their speciality.

I have seen some of the meals she has been offered on some airlines, vegan ones  (basically vegetables in sauce) and it's a disgrace. Not that we do any flying at the moment, and will not till things get back to 2019 normal

I'm unconvinced by that.

Oh dear! :(

I can understand your frustration.

Has she never fancied the idea of chomping on a juicy pork sausage? ;)

42 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

And people taking that attitude is why Vegetarians get a poor deal out of all this. You might as well say meat eaters can eat vegan food, so don't bother with meat and just do vegan food for everyone.

It's lazy for caterers to take the view you are suggesting, they deserve to go bust.

And 86% omniverous......

He is putting an event on. In Lowedges ffs. He doesnt need a myriad of options, he didnt even understand the difference a few hours ago.

24 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Oh dear! :(

I can understand your frustration.

Has she never fancied the idea of chomping on a juicy pork sausage? ;)

Would she eat wafer thin ham?

I dont disagree. But hes putting a one day event on in a downtrodden part of Sheffield, he doesnt have to provide huge amountwls of choice here.

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

And that is why I am so annoyed with that woman from the Vegan Society (or whatever they call themselves) for saying "it's fine for eateries to just provide vegan options because vegetarians can also eat that", she's a selfish ******.

I hardly think she's being selfish. Her whole ethos is thinking about the appalling conditions that animals endure to bring us eggs & milk, so I imagine she is promoting what's best for the animals, not herself. 

22 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Interesting discussion on the radio last night, which reflected the grievances my wife (who is a vegetarian, well pescatarian actually) has been having for a few years.

Despite the fact more people are supposed to be going meat free in their diet it is actually becoming harder to get tasty vegetarian meals at restaurants, on planes etc.

How can that be ?

Well it's because many eateries are just offering vegan alternatives (i.e. no milk, cheese, eggs etc) in order to make it easier for them. They think vegetarians can eat vegan food but not necessarily the other way around, so just offer vegan. But that's cobblers because on that basis why not go the whole hog (not literally, for vegetarians anyway) and just offer vegan meals for everyone, after all, meat eaters can eat vegan food (if they absolutely have to ! ) can't they ?

In fact the representative of some vegan society was supporting just offering vegan alternatives in the aforementioned radio discussion. Well she would wouldn't she, if she was being selfish that is, she gets what she wants so sod everyone else.

Vegetarians are about 6% of the UK population, pescatarians (who eat fish) account for a further 5%, but Vegans are only 3%.

The tail is wagging the dog here I feel.

That's your life's motto isn't it?

Spare us the faux outrage.