Vegans V Vegetarians

That quote is illogical :

She isn’t irritated by veganism: “It means we’ve got way more options. In the 90s, you were lucky if the chef could do you an omelette,” she says. But the issue is that “the meat diet is still catered for 90%. That’s the annoying thing. Maybe that should be looked at.”

Because about 85% of the population eat meat, so 90% would seem about right. It's certainly more proportionate than making all vegetarians eat vegan options, as they constitute only about 3% of the population and vegetarians about twice as many.

What's wrong with a nice cheese omlette and chips anyway, I'd eat it, and do so regularly.

3 minutes ago, sibon said:

Bigger towns are available.

Looking at some of your posts, they might also be advisable.

I do not understand your post, either line, the first is irrelevant, and the second just insulting, as far as I can tell.

2 hours ago, altus said:

Post 2 in this thread:

Please don't call people who eat fish vegetarian (and don't let them refer to themselves as vegetarian either). It can cause problems for people who really are vegetarian.

I don’t think that I am sufficiently bothered to challenge someone who calls themselves whatever.

As a world population we are all omnivorous but some choose to stick to a particular diet and lifestyle for health,availability or according to their principles.

Can vegetarians wear leather shoes?

11 hours ago, Chekhov said:

That quote is illogical :

She isn’t irritated by veganism: “It means we’ve got way more options. In the 90s, you were lucky if the chef could do you an omelette,” she says. But the issue is that “the meat diet is still catered for 90%. That’s the annoying thing. Maybe that should be looked at.”

Because about 85% of the population eat meat, so 90% would seem about right. It's certainly more proportionate than making all vegetarians eat vegan options, as they constitute only about 3% of the population and vegetarians about twice as many.

What's wrong with a nice cheese omlette and chips anyway, I'd eat it, and do so regularly.

I do not understand your post, either line, the first is irrelevant, and the second just insulting, as far as I can tell.

Now we're getting there. Vegans are another group of people who cause you a minor inconvenience and who can therefore be condemned. Much like menopausal women (sack them) and old people more susceptible to Covid (let them die) from your other threads.

Edited by Bargepole23

5 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

Thanks for posting the link, but that headline is pure clickbait.  The only evidence offered up in the article itself is a quick vox pop from Ruth (aged 35) of Manchester, who may or may not be a vegetarian - we're not told either way - plus a cafe owner in Brighton who says that some of his customers have grumbled about his soya yogurt not being very tasty.

It isn't, as we were discussing this before the article came to light. In addition, as I have already mentioned, it was on R4, on Monday aft I seem to remember.

They had two people on, one from a Vegetarian organisation and one from a Vegan one, then got them to debate it. That was where I heard the Vegan woman saying she was quite happy for eateries to just serve Vegan options and thought it reasonable. Which is what really annoyed me as she was basically just being selfish.

The fact the representative of the Vegetarian society had actually turned Vegan "last year" made it a bit of a pointless exercise because, by definition, he was now happy to just eat Vegan food. Not much chance of a debate then, and there was none, just a "love in".

5 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Now we're getting there. Vegans are another group of people who cause you a minor inconvenience and who can therefore be condemned. Much like menopausal women (sack them) and old people more susceptible to Covid (let them die) from your other threads.

What an absolute load of cobblers you are talking, I have never said any of those things and if you had any honour you would apologise, but I won't hold my breath.

Just out of interest, why do Vegans cause me any inconvenience (I am not a vegetarian or even a pescatarian) ?

Edited by Chekhov

Imagine  an Italian restaurant not serving chow mein, a cobbler refusing to sell me a suit, the local take-away refusing to give me table service!!!! 

How selfish of them.

I'm going to thkweem, thkweem, thkweem until I am thick.

23 hours ago, Chekhov said:

if the whole world stopped eating fish that would be a hell of a waste of a massive amount of food, which would just get eaten by other fish higher up the food chain rather than us.

God forbid ecosystems and individual animals might just exist for their own sake eh? What a fascinating insight into how you see the world.

Chekhov said:
if the whole world stopped eating fish that would be a hell of a waste of a massive amount of food, which would just get eaten by other fish higher up the food chain rather than us.

30 minutes ago, Norbert said:

God forbid ecosystems and individual animals might just exist for their own sake eh? What a fascinating insight into how you see the world.

What you say makes no sense.

We do not breed fish (the vast majority of them anyway), they are living naturally in the wild and many, or even most, will get eaten by something. 

So, you appear to be saying that we, the human race, should not eat that fish so other species can eat it instead, regardless of the fact that many poor people probably rely on catching and eating fish to keep themselves from starving.

Edited by Chekhov

Been away for awhile nice to see the o/p showing himself up as his usual seLFISH self.

as a vegetarian he and a his wife should try putting thier faux Vegetarian/ Vegan problems where the Sunshine deli doesn't shine!  Other vegan  eateries are available outside of Hillsborough.

7 hours ago, steve68 said:

Been away for awhile nice to see the o/p showing himself up as his usual seLFISH self.

Do you think it is he who shall not be named?

15 hours ago, cgksheff said:

Do you think it is he who shall not be named?

Sensing he could be going for  a new banner opportunity, Rage against the Carrot :x

On 13/05/2022 at 20:56, CaptainSwing said:

OK let's review the discussion so far.  The claim is that "Many vegetarians are not happy at only being given vegan options" (post #37).  So far, the evidence for the prosecution is:

-- The opinion of your wife, who is not a vegetarian.

-- A clickbait article in the Guardian that didn't contain any evidence that would hold up in court.

-- An item on Radio 4 which I didn't hear but presumably didn't contain any evidence either, since you describe it as a "love in" and a "pointless exercise".

Against this, all of the vegetarians on the forum who have contributed to this thread have said that they don't mind only being given vegan options.  Which seems plausible a priori - it's hard to imagine anybody craving dairy products to the extent that they need to have them at every meal.

I put it to you that your opinion may be being coloured by your experience of having been served a rubbish vegetarian (vegan) option on an Air France flight - France not exactly being a country that is renowned for its vegetarian (let alone vegan) cuisine.  Your premise that vegan food is necessarily lacking in flavour is a false one.

It wasn't me being served a vegan meal.

My premise that restricting what ingredients one can use to make meals will inevitably affect choice variety and flavour is patently unarguable.

Ask a fruitarian......

Do they even exist ?

And the R4 debate between a vegan and  a vegetarian was a love in not a debate because the vegetarian was now  a vegan.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

My premise that restricting what ingredients one can use to make meals will inevitably affect choice variety and flavour is patently unarguable.

Personally I find there is an abundant variety of vegan ingredients  that are available these days, therefore going Vegan it isn't limiting in anyway,  either when home cooking or eating out.

the only limitation that is constantly on show here is yourself.