Vegans V Vegetarians

I’ve been vegetarian for practically my whole adult life (and I’m no spring onion) and often go for vegan options when food shopping or eating out. I do this out of choice and I see it as increasing my choices, not limiting them. Vegan food offers some different flavours for a start.

If vegetarians generally felt vegan food to be limiting, I don’t think the Vegetarian Society would have 343 vegan recipes on their website.

https://vegsoc.org/recipes/?_dietary=vegan

3 hours ago, sibon said:

If we apply logic to those three statements, we are left with a nagging question.

Do you know what logic is?

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

The "non problem" (which, apparently, I just made up) :

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/may/20/who-moved-my-cheese-the-silent-battle-between-vegetarians-and-vegans

The silent battle between vegetarians and vegans

The recent explosion in vegan food has not been without pushback. Mainly from bolshily indignant meat-eaters who take it as a personal affront. But could a far more peaceable group, vegetarians, also be finding all that vegan energy a bit, well, irritating?

Vegetarians are asking: who moved my cheese? They are seeing their halloumi burgers, sour cream-dressed burritos or blue cheese and mushroom wellingtons removed in favour of vegan meat-free dishes. There is low-level grumbling at this new dairy-free landscape, talk of being “screwed” by vegans and, as one Guardian colleague describes it, “a little silent war” developing between the rival groups.

“I don’t think vegans have ruined everything for vegetarians. It’s down to lazy restaurateurs, I guess – doing one option to cover both,” says Ruth, a 35-year-old professional from Manchester.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 hours ago, horribleblob said:

I’ve been vegetarian for practically my whole adult life (and I’m no spring onion) and often go for vegan options when food shopping or eating out. I do this out of choice and I see it as increasing my choices, not limiting them. Vegan food offers some different flavours for a start.

If vegetarians generally felt vegan food to be limiting, I don’t think the Vegetarian Society would have 343 vegan recipes on their website.

https://vegsoc.org/recipes/?_dietary=vegan

If they are offered additionally yes, but not instead of.

Edited by Chekhov

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they are offered additionally yes, but not instead of.

Struggling to understand why you care about the subject. Neither you nor your wife are vegetarians. 

1 minute ago, Bargepole23 said:

Struggling to understand why you care about the subject. Neither you nor your wife are vegetarians. 

A quick response .His wife is vegetarian/pescatarian.

As is one of our family group and we have never had any great issues in finding something suitable when dining out.

Its more of an issue when cooking at home because one meal rarely suits all.

38 minutes ago, RJRB said:

As is one of our family group and we have never had any great issues in finding something suitable when dining out.

His wife isn't a vegetarian. She eats fish, which, last time I checked, were not vegetables. 

14 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

His wife isn't a vegetarian. She eats fish, which, last time I checked, were not vegetables. 

And that's more than enough of a sacrifice (for most people anyway).

As an aside, some people argue we should stop rearing animals to eat, but if the whole world stopped eating fish that would be a hell of a waste of a massive amount of food, which would just get eaten by other fish higher up the food chain rather than us.

Edited by Chekhov

48 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Post 2 in this thread:

On 10/05/2022 at 11:05, altus said:

Far worse for vegetarians than only having vegan choices to eat are people who call themselves vegetarian when they aren't. It leads to problems where people who should know better[1] say "but some vegetarians eat fish" and then assume it's OK to provide all people who say they are vegetarian with non veggie food.

Please don't call people who eat fish vegetarian (and don't let them refer to themselves as vegetarian either). It can cause problems for people who really are vegetarian.

58 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

I have already answered this question, but, in fact, why I care about it is irrelevant.

It is a problem, as evidenced by the article I linked to (and basic logic), and I am struggling to understand why so many people on here want to deny it is.

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

I'm an almost chickentarian myself. I eat very little red meat. Although I do like a bit of bacon every now and then. So, I guess that makes me a chickenandoccasionalbacontarian. 

I like a lot of vegan food too.

I can't understand why anyone would get upset about a restaurant menu. Just go next door if you don't like it. 

6 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I have already answered this question, but, in fact, why I care about it is irrelevant.

It is a problem, as evidenced by the article I linked to (and basic logic), and I am struggling to understand why so many people on here want to deny it is.

Because it is at worst a minor annoyance, not the major issue you are trying to portray it to be. Even the article you linked to and are making such a big deal out of ends with:

She isn’t irritated by veganism: “It means we’ve got way more options. In the 90s, you were lucky if the chef could do you an omelette,” she says. But the issue is that “the meat diet is still catered for 90%. That’s the annoying thing. Maybe that should be looked at.”

Food wise, vegetarians have far more to worry about than whether they can get some cheese.

2 minutes ago, sibon said:

I'm an almost chickentarian myself. I eat very little red meat. Although I do like a bit of bacon every now and then. So, I guess that makes me a chickenandoccasionalbacontarian. 

I like a lot of vegan food too.

I can't understand why anyone would get upset about a restaurant menu. Just go next door if you don't like it. 

That's not always so easy in a small town, or of you have to book, or, worst of all, if you are on a  plane and the vegetarian option is vegan.

Basically it is caterers being lazy at the expense of vegetarians, even if some of the latter may not have  a problem with it.

It is illogical because you could follow the same logic and only provide Vegan food on the basis everyone could eat that. Apart from Fruitarians, but do they actually exist ?

Guest sibon
Just now, Chekhov said:

That's not always so easy in a small town, or of you have to book, or, worst of all, if you are on a  plane and the vegetarian option is vegan.

Bigger towns are available.

Looking at some of your posts, they might also be advisable.