Vegans V Vegetarians

Interesting discussion on the radio last night, which reflected the grievances my wife (who is a vegetarian, well pescatarian actually) has been having for a few years.

Despite the fact more people are supposed to be going meat free in their diet it is actually becoming harder to get tasty vegetarian meals at restaurants, on planes etc.

How can that be ?

Well it's because many eateries are just offering vegan alternatives (i.e. no milk, cheese, eggs etc) in order to make it easier for them. They think vegetarians can eat vegan food but not necessarily the other way around, so just offer vegan. But that's cobblers because on that basis why not go the whole hog (not literally, for vegetarians anyway) and just offer vegan meals for everyone, after all, meat eaters can eat vegan food (if they absolutely have to ! ) can't they ?

In fact the representative of some vegan society was supporting just offering vegan alternatives in the aforementioned radio discussion. Well she would wouldn't she, if she was being selfish that is, she gets what she wants so sod everyone else.

Vegetarians are about 6% of the UK population, pescatarians (who eat fish) account for a further 5%, but Vegans are only 3%.

The tail is wagging the dog here I feel.

Far worse for vegetarians than only having vegan choices to eat are people who call themselves vegetarian when they aren't. It leads to problems where people who should know better[1] say "but some vegetarians eat fish" and then assume it's OK to provide all people who say they are vegetarian with non veggie food.

[1] i.e. people working in food industries.

27 minutes ago, altus said:

Far worse for vegetarians than only having vegan choices to eat are people who call themselves vegetarian when they aren't. It leads to problems where people who should know better[1] say "but some vegetarians eat fish" and then assume it's OK to provide all people who say they are vegetarian with non veggie food.

[1] i.e. people working in food industries.

There are even more degrees of meatless diet, people who only eat chicken for instance.

I tend to pick chicken over lamb when I'm in an Indian for instance, even though I actually prefer Lamb, as I prefer not to think about gamboling lambs getting the chop.

That woman from the Vegan society saying it's fine to offer Vegetarians only Vegan dishes did annoy me though, and I'm not even a veggie. She was so selfish.

Edited by Chekhov

not being a veggie or vegan ,CAN you advise pm me if you wish,i did not  until now ,can you advise me ,i run a big event,to satisfy our customers do i have to have a vegan and a vegitarian stall to ensure i cover both,this is genuine as i did not know there was a differance and although i have these stalls requests,i thought one would do ,now it seems i need one of each is that correct thanks

Do you think it is right for a vegan mother to bring her child up as a vegan from it being able to eat solids or should she let the child decide, when older? 

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

not being a veggie or vegan ,CAN you advise pm me if you wish,i did not  until now ,can you advise me ,i run a big event,to satisfy our customers do i have to have a vegan and a vegitarian stall to ensure i cover both,this is genuine as i did not know there was a differance and although i have these stalls requests,i thought one would do ,now it seems i need one of each is that correct thanks

You didnt realise there was a difference between the two? Vegetarians dont eat meat, vegans dont eat meat or animal products (such as cheese, milk). 

Well as the opening post states, anyone selling vegan food would automatically cover both bases anyway. Maybe look to get an Indian vendor, lots of Indian food is vegan or veggie. Most other vendors would likely have those options anyway (for example, meat or dairy free pizzas, a chip stall would have lots of veggie options)

Of course, you dont HAVE to offer a 100% vegan stall. Any non-militant vegan would go to an event like this and expect their options to be limited as you cant revolve the whole thing around their very specific dietary requirements.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

Given the above information on demographics then your stall menu should be around 6% vegetarian, 5% pescetarian and 3% vegan so it should not necessary to have separate stalls to cater for the difference as that difference is very small.

At festivals and other events, I've found that the vegetarian caterers usually have vegan options too.

42 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Given the above information on demographics then your stall menu should be around 6% vegetarian, 5% pescetarian and 3% vegan so it should not necessary to have separate stalls to cater for the difference as that difference is very small.

Given the number of people cutting down on, rather than eliminating, meat eating, only providing just enough veggie and vegan food for those who are veggie and vegan would result in it running out as meat eaters would consume a lot of it.

2 hours ago, bassett one said:

Afternoon Mr. Bassett,

I think it would be a missed steak to have both..

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Padders said:

Afternoon Mr. Bassett,

I think it would be a missed steak to have both..

Oh dear! Oh dear! :roll:

I think it's time for me to return your Groan! :hihi:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, altus said:

Given the number of people cutting down on, rather than eliminating, meat eating, only providing just enough veggie and vegan food for those who are veggie and vegan would result in it running out as meat eaters would consume a lot of it.

But the idea is to sell food at venues to make a profit and if meat eaters eat it as well then is a good thing for the vendors. Not sure if people are cutting down much on meat eating either.