British Energy Prices

Considering the actual effort involved in getting uninterrupted power to your premises, it was good value until 9 months ago. How much do people pay for TV/Smartphone/internet.

Perhaps inept regulatory oversight and lefty green levies should be the focus of the public's ire, rather than someone who did their best to sort out the mess of the 70's.

The increase in the last year is far above 54%, by October it's probably going to be a tripling compared to Sept 2021

• Like 1

France has the highest wholesale electricity prices in Europe but they are heavily subsidised by the state . However there is a major Oh S**t looming on the horizon .An on going investigation has found endemic corosion in the French Nuclear Power Plants which has lead to 26 out of the 56 reactors being shut down . The French are now scouring Europe to try and buy anybodies surplus Electricity

Just been announced on  BBC's daily Politics that the boss of one British energy company is on a basic salary of £76 million pounds per year plus large bonuses.

That's almost 1.5 million pounds per week.

God only knows how much the other top officials are paid but, if they can afford to pay salaries like that, they can afford to reduce the prices of their products to help their long suffering customers.

If there were rules regarding this, we wouldn't need to ask the government to help those at the bottom so much anyway.

Why are we always so willing to let all those at the top, take all the cream.

Gas, Electricity, Water, NHS and Railways are too important to the national need and should never have been privatised anyway.

55 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Just been announced on  BBC's daily Politics that the boss of one British energy company is on a basic salary of £76 million pounds per year plus large bonuses.

That's almost 1.5 million pounds per week.

God only knows how much the other top officials are paid but, if they can afford to pay salaries like that, they can afford to reduce the prices of their products to help their long suffering customers.

If there were rules regarding this, we wouldn't need to ask the government to help those at the bottom so much anyway.

Why are we always so willing to let all those at the top, take all the cream.

Gas, Electricity, Water, NHS and Railways are too important to the national need and should never have been privatised anyway.

I agree, but no doubt the usual suspects will be along in a moment, trying to justify it, and accusing us of 'the politics of envy' etc etc.....

They just don't get it do they?

31 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I agree, but no doubt the usual suspects will be along in a moment, trying to justify it, and accusing us of 'the politics of envy' etc etc.....

They just don't get it do they?

Well it’s best that it’s there, at least there’s something to negotiate with, someone is eventually going to put their hand in their pocket, but I suspect not in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

Which boss is that and what company?

When was the NHS privatised as I seem to have missed that one.

38 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Which boss is that and what company?

When was the NHS privatised as I seem to have missed that one.

Jo Coburn, the presenter of Daily politics, just said that one British energy company chief executive was paid such a salary, but,  didn't mention either the company or the boss's  name.

Shouldn't be hard to find out.

Most treatment options including skin cancer removals, Kidney dialysis, investigations of heart and lungs etc, are at clinics rather than hospitals and these are all private rather than NHS.

You will find that, in general, only hospitals remain under NHS control and they usually have wings which are run by private companies.

Our local GP's surgery is privatised like most and so is our Pharmacy, which is a Chinese company.

I have, in years past had small surgery done at our surgery by my own GP, who was also a surgeon. They are now simply a referral service who send you elsewhere to be investigated or treated.

I believe that the Ambulance services are now run by a private company/companies.

37 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Jo Coburn, the presenter of Daily politics, just said that one British energy company chief executive was paid such a salary, but,  didn't mention either the company or the boss's  name.

Shouldn't be hard to find out.

The trouble with that is it is hard to find out so somewhat suspicious.

Have a google yourself and tell me what comes up.

Found this:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/dec/06/bonuses-executive-pay-energy-firms

And this:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fat-cat-energy-firm-bosses-26150379

But nothing on the lines you have stated.

Most treatment options including skin cancer removals, Kidney dialysis, investigations of heart and lungs etc, are at clinics rather than hospitals and these are all private rather than NHS.

I think that should read some and not most.

You will find that, in general, only hospitals remain under NHS control and they usually have wings which are run by private companies.

NHS hospitals are run by trusts but they are also allowed to offer private fee paying healthcare to those who are willing to pay, as well as the normal free NHS healthcare.

Our local GP's surgery is privatised like most and so is our Pharmacy, which is a Chinese company.

GP's have always been privatised and so have pharmacies except the NHS pharmacies in hospitals.

I have, in years past had small surgery done at our surgery by my own GP, who was also a surgeon. They are now simply a referral service who send you elsewhere to be investigated or treated.

Some also have on site small surgery facilities like the one I attend but as they are also private concerns it depends on how the surgery is run as to whether they can offer those.

I believe that the Ambulance services are now run by a private company/companies.

No the NHS trusts usually run them but there also exists some private ambulance services which can be contracted out as well.

Just to add and to get back on topic, I do think that many top executives are very overpaid for what they do.

Edited by Dromedary

The source of the claim is Conservative MP Robert Halfon, chair of the education select committee, speaking on Radio 4’s Today program.

Edited by Magilla

I've mentioned this before,

Gas prices rose above £400 per whatever, record levels..

Today's gas price is £129 per whatever,

Why no reduction in our bills?

Because the gas you are using today was bought at the higher price. 

The gas being bought at today's price will be used by you next year sometime.

Perhaps we should be lucky we have the energy cap?

My employer told me today that businesses have face a five fold increase in gas prices.