Postcode Walks - S20

LovePotion be along shortly to tell us about the gangs of crips who hang out at Wharncliffe Side

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Making it sound like Harlem and Queens, give it a rest.

Have you or your family lived in Harlem or Queens ?

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

LovePotion be along shortly to tell us about the gangs of crips who hang out at Wharncliffe Side

I read that as crisps at first 🤣

Just now, LovePotion said:

I would never refer to someone as a "cripple". I think it's disrespectful, you may be comfortable using language like that but most people don't use that terminology any more.

Oh dear, a good try though.

For a parody account I think you are starting to lose your edge now though, maybe try something else.

Edited by HeHasRisen

I think you need to go and educate yourself on what the "crips" are. But I suspect you know this.

Just shove it into Google for crying out loud 🤣

Personally I would be more worried about the Yazuka members who live down Wyming Brook, but thats just me.

On 27/05/2022 at 10:09, LovePotion said:

The only thing to worry about in Wyming Brook is being charged at by the cows or falling off the narrow pavement in to the path of a vehicle.

Map of the area from "lets go peak district"

Wyming Brook has no pavement or cows and only rare waterworks traffic- one route is trickier as follows the stream and waterfalls to the bottom, the others are 5m wide tracks.

"Butterfly Walk" A short walk from the top of Wyming Brook up Soughley Lane accesses the former leat on the left that took water from Rivelin to the reservoirs in Crookes. This level path gets to to the Sportsman or 51 terminus or Spider Park(playground) and Crimicar Lane for Shiny Sheff or 120 terminus. Any age. In the woods (muddy in places and unmarked paths) is the place were the last Nazi leader was once imprisoned after the Great War.*

"Cliff Walk" Also from the top of Wyming Brook is the cliff walk that runs along the Fox Hagg edge all the way down to Crosspool, but can be short for the Three Merry Lads or Sportsman or 51 terminus or several 51 bus stops. Ours went on short sections from age 5 upwards with very close adult supervision.

*The Wikipedia article about Lodge Moor Camp is here, the bibliography contains lots of interesting links to the hospital, smallpox, trenches, murder etc. 

Edited by Annie Bynnol

15 hours ago, LovePotion said:

It is a bank parted by a kurb that is used as a pavement and there is plenty of traffic running through Wyming Brook main road. 

We must be talking about two different things.

The walks:

There are two ways down to Rivelin that follow the Wyming Brook. One is a footpath and the other is a track(Wyming Brook Drive) with no tarmac, no kerb and has locked gates/blocks at all three access points. The only traffic permitted are people, bicycles and horses. There are small car park off Redmires Road and at Rivelin Reservoir. A few spaces at the bus stop(hourly service) on the A57.

The place:

Decades ago a rare 51 bus terminated at 'Wyming Brook' at Redmires Road/Soughley Lane, from there people used to walk across the road to a footpath, then down to a maintained picnicking area/stepping stones below where Redmires Road crosses Wyming Brook. The stepping stones are still there but the picnic area has mainly returned to the wild. The car park is beyond the bridge.