Am I Being Ripped Off.

3 hours ago, sedith said:

https://www.mandttransmissions.co.uk/

Located in Bradway, Sheffield.

They did my son's dmf and new clutch for around £800. Can't praise them enough. These guys are top of their game.

Yes but was it a Skoda?

On 07/05/2022 at 15:26, Kidorry said:

Had a text from the garage where I bought my car from saying I need to change my cam belt because the car is 5 years old. It has only done 21k. When I phoned them they said it should be changed every 5 years. To do the job they want £489-00. I rang a local garage and they said they could do it but they have not got the special tool that is needed for a skoda. He said to buy this tool it would cost about 2k. Is this a rip off or not?

We have a 2017 Seat Leon (VAG group car, so may be similar to a Skoda). It's due it's MOT & service next month. I have a feeling the cambelt is due to be changed but need to check with Seat (no info in the handbook). Steadfast in Chapeltown have quoted me £320. Don't know if this helps or not..

I have already booked mine in for it to have the M.O.T and the cambelt changed. I am resigned to paying what they are asking.

Forum guided me here. So I just had the car serviced. It's done 12,500 and they have changed the spark plugs.  Now years ago I have driven vehicles 70,000 miles and more and the spark plugs have been good, so just like people's opinions on it?                    Didn't mention the timing belt though but years ago when we had timing chains I don't recall any bother.

Have just adjusted mine on Peugeot 107, just need closing up a few thou (10k from when last replaced) and I can tell the difference in low end torque. 10k I think is the usual recommended change.

2 hours ago, spilldig said:

Forum guided me here. So I just had the car serviced. It's done 12,500 and they have changed the spark plugs.  Now years ago I have driven vehicles 70,000 miles and more and the spark plugs have been good, so just like people's opinions on it?                    Didn't mention the timing belt though but years ago when we had timing chains I don't recall any bother.

What does the manual say?  Some vehicles have long life plugs in them, good for 60,000 or so.

Expensive things as well, so you don't wanna be replacing them if you don't need to.

According to the HonestJohn website, the factor that affects cam belt life the most is the number of cold starts. Apparently it is much more important than mileage.

Edited by sovrappeso

17 hours ago, carosio said:

Have just adjusted mine on Peugeot 107, just need closing up a few thou (10k from when last replaced) and I can tell the difference in low end torque. 10k I think is the usual recommended change.

Thanks for that Carosio It would seem from that that the change was necessary. 

15 hours ago, geared said:

What does the manual say?  Some vehicles have long life plugs in them, good for 60,000 or so.

Expensive things as well, so you don't wanna be replacing them if you don't need to.

Manual doesn't say anything,  just service at 12,500 miles.

1 hour ago, sovrappeso said:

According to the HonestJohn website, the factor that affects cam belt life the most is the number of cold starts. Apparently it is much more important than mileage.

Quite a lot, I would imagine in this country. 

Edited by spilldig

On 07/05/2022 at 16:17, Kidorry said:

The dealer told me it is because the rubber deteriorates after 5 years. I have had cars for over 60 years and never had a cam belt go, and some of them have been much older than 5 years.

find out first if it has a chain  drive rather than rubber

It is rubber and I had it done yesterday and it cost £489-00 . £255-00 of that was labour costs, so how much is labour an hour?

17 hours ago, Kidorry said:

so how much is labour an hour?

As with anything it's probably something that's rising fast with inflation, so I wouldn't worry about the hourly rate too much because it could well change soon.

2 hours ago, geared said:

As with anything it's probably something that's rising fast with inflation, so I wouldn't worry about the hourly rate too much because it could well change soon.

£40 per hour where i go