Am I Being Ripped Off.

It is a 2017 rapid and I think I will let Rainworth do it, that is where I got it from. . It`s only money.

24 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

It is a 2017 rapid and I think I will let Rainworth do it, that is where I got it from. . It`s only money.

Take the advice above too. The water pump change is a very wise move while you're having the cam belt done.

I know it's not a cheap fix but worth it in the long run. I was a bit surprised when the mechanic at the dealers told me that mines 10 years (2018 Pug 308SW 2.0 HDI). 

• Like 1

If a cambelt goes at 70 mph on a busy motorway it will destroy more than the engine.

12 hours ago, WarPig said:

What model of Skoda do you have?

Just had the cam belt replaced on my 2017 Skoda Yeti. With the Yeti they do need replacing after 5 yrs, even if low mileage.

If your Skoda also has the water pump driven by the belt then it makes sense to have that changed too, it's only a £100 part, but if it fails it's big job stripping the engine to get to it, so makes sense to replace it when the cam belt is being done. I paid £650 at Skoda Rainsworth Sheffield for belt & water pump. I rang some independent garages and they were a similar price, so I let Skoda do it.

I had a service at a local garage that had promised that they could do cambelt & water pump.
After giving me the run-around for 2 days, they finally admitted that they did not have the necessary (£2k) tool and did not have enough Skoda work to justify buying one.
I ended up at the dealers.

Check with Rainsworth to see if the water pump on your Rapid is connected to the cam belt, some Skoda models aren't and don't need the pump changing at the same time. Though I think the Rapid has a timing chain rather than a belt??? If so get the chain sprockets changed at the same time as I think they come as part of a kit?

The high cost of the belt change is mostly labour as it's a big job to get to the cam belt, so makes sense to change the pump if needed. If the pump was to fail then it would still be the same price to replace it as the same labour intensive work has to be done to get to the pump.

Edited by WarPig

I had a look and it is a rubber belt but I will look to see if it connected to the water pump.

Would imagine it is.

At 5 years old, 20k odd miles a waterpump probably isn't on the maintenance schedule, 10 years is the more common time for that job.

Cheers for that and I will ask them if it needs changing. Being a dealership they will probably say it needs to be changed.

What engine is your 2017 Rapid?

The water pump wont 'need' changing, it's just sensible to have it done at the same time, but only if it's connected to the cam belt, or if its a big job to get to it. Otherwise it's a gamble, it could last years and years, or fail and them you have to pay the £500+ again.

Whilst I've been using Skoda Rainsworth for servicing, that's only because my Yeti came with their warranty and their service plan already paid for, otherwise I would use Auto Tecnic on Amos Rd behind Meadowhall. When I needed the Haldex pump filter cleaning (part of the 4x4 system) , they were the only VW garage in Sheffield that knew about the need for it to be done, and did a good job, even Skoda denied that it needed doing, but it definitely does at 30k miles. But this wont apply to your car.

Edited by WarPig

23 hours ago, Kidorry said:

I had a look and it is a rubber belt but I will look to see if it connected to the water pump.

The Belt you saw would be the Alternator belt / Power Steering / Air Con Belt. The Timing Belt is under a cover.

Edited by kevvy
text
  • Like 1

Called the dealer this morning and the water pump does not need changing at the same time as the cam belt because it is on the other side of the engine to the cam belt. They will let me know if it ever needs changing.

On 07/05/2022 at 15:26, Kidorry said:

Had a text from the garage where I bought my car from saying I need to change my cam belt because the car is 5 years old. It has only done 21k. When I phoned them they said it should be changed every 5 years. To do the job they want £489-00. I rang a local garage and they said they could do it but they have not got the special tool that is needed for a skoda. He said to buy this tool it would cost about 2k. Is this a rip off or not?

https://www.mandttransmissions.co.uk/

Located in Bradway, Sheffield.

They did my son's dmf and new clutch for around £800. Can't praise them enough. These guys are top of their game.