Facebook 'Hacking'

I hear about this quite a lot, people getting hacked on Facebook.  I've never had a problem myself but today a friend called and was extremely upset. She says her Facebook was hacked (I believe her) and lots of inappropriate pictures, some involving children were uploaded to her account. Also many of her messenger contacts had pictures sent to them from her account.

She swears blind she didn't hand her password out and actually uses secure passwords generated by her browser, Firefox.

So how does it happen?

Has anyone any idea how these people do this as I'd like to make my daughter's and my account as safe as possible and try to avoid this kind of dilemma in the future?

Can you even prevent this type of thing? 

Edited by The_DADDY

18 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I hear about this quite a lot, people getting hacked on Facebook.  I've never had a problem myself but today a friend called and was extremely upset. She says her Facebook was hacked (I believe her) and lots of inappropriate pictures, some involving children were uploaded to her account. Also many of her messenger contacts had pictures sent to them from her account.

She swears blind she didn't hand her password out and actually uses secure passwords generated by her browser (firefox)Firefox.

So how does it happen?

Has anyone any idea how these people do this as I'd like to make my daughter's and my account as safe as possible and try to avoid this kind of dilemma in the future?

Can you even prevent this type of thing? 

Keep off Facebook, simple 

9 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Keep off Facebook, simple 

Sound advice.  I can't really argue with that.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to just stop using it immediately. Plus my daughter uses it and likes using it hence why I'm trying to see if there are ways to prevent it being abused by a 3rd party. 

Often happens when you click an infected link.

Does she use 2-factor authentication?  Do You?

Edited by geared

2 minutes ago, geared said:

Often happens when you click an infected link.

Does she use 2-factor authentication?  Do You?

I'm not entirely sure what that is if I'm honest 

Usually it's all of these dodgy video and game links that get bandied about, and new friend requests from friends.

I don't click anything off 'friends'that I'm not expecting, and if I get a friend request off a friend I ask them on the account I'm already a friend of first

• Thanks 1

The biggest cause is people using the same password for everything.  Made worse if they use kids names and birthdays - all of which can be easily obtained from people's Facebook pages.

Is her FB account locked down so strangers can't see any details about her?

Someone tried to access mine the other week and FB spotted this and locked my account.

They also threw me out and my messenger and had to use new links provided by FB to get back in and change my password.

I was emailed to confirm the intended intrusion and they were refused entry.

Is she one of those that plays those silly "just for fun games"?

44332187-9695509-image-a-1_1623912396895

Because that's how they get in, well one of the many ways.