It’s 40 years ago  that hms Sheffield was  attacked and sank in the Falkland war.   Did Sheffield ever erect a monument to those who died onboard it ? If not should there be one ?

20 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

It’s 40 years ago  that hms Sheffield was  attacked and sank in the Falkland war.   Did Sheffield ever erect a monument to those who died onboard it ? If not should there be one ?

There is a monument, but not in Sheffield, it's at the National Arboretum in Staffordshire.

I knew someone on the Sheffield that night, his Dad was in the Batemoor pub when the news came through on the news, he just got up and said "I think I better go home". and left.

4 hours ago, rudds1 said:

There is a plaque in the cathedral but I think we need a better and bigger memorial, to honour those who died onboard and also as the HMS Sheffield was made from steel supplied from the steelworks in Sheffield, 

Edited by pattricia

6 hours ago, Padders said:

There is a monument, but not in Sheffield, it's at the National Arboretum in Staffordshire.

I heard that when David Blunkett became council leader in the eighties he had a picture of HMS Sheffield removed.

19 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

I heard that when David Blunkett became council leader in the eighties he had a picture of HMS Sheffield removed.

I wonder why ?

1 hour ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Who told him it was there?.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

I wonder why ?

Might have been around the same time that the local ruling Lab Party told the various Forces recruiting offices that they were no longer welcome in Sheffield. 

Funny a few decades later, the likes of Blunkett, Caborn & Betts are voting in favour of sending service men & women off to various wars in the Middle East. 

Wife & I were on holiday in a little B&B in Torquay when it happened.

Word had obviously gotten around that we were from Sheffield as at breakfast complete strangers came up and offered solemn condolences. Quite touching really.

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Might have been around the same time that the local ruling Lab Party told the various Forces recruiting offices that they were no longer welcome in Sheffield. 

Funny a few decades later, the likes of Blunkett, Caborn & Betts are voting in favour of sending service men & women off to various wars in the Middle East. 

Bold.

Really?

2 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Bold.

Really?

Yes