Relocating To Chapeltown / High Green

Hello everyone,

I know these sorts of questions are very subjective but I am hoping to relocate from the South East to Sheffield and I'm looking for advice on areas.

My wish list is for green spaces for dog walking/hiking but also amenities such as local shops,  lesiure centres, reasonable broadband as I will be working from home and good transport links.

On paper Chapeltown ticks all my boxes but as a single woman of colour, feeling safe, both in my home and when out and about is a high priority. 

I've seen some older posts suggesting I may be better off avoiding High Green but Chapeltown seems to be generally recommended. 

Is this still the case and are there any areas I should definitely avoid?

Thanks so much.

Really all comes down to what kind of property you'd like and budget.

Chapeltown isn't a bad area by any means, High Green is just that bit further out.

• Like 1

I’d personally would live in either but chapletown would be my first choice .  Don’t see op colour being an issue 

Thank you. I'll be looking for a 2 or 3 bed with a max budget of £250K.

27 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

I’d personally would live in either but chapletown would be my first choice .  Don’t see op colour being an issue 

Thank you. That's reassuring. I hoped that would be the case but I have lived in a couple of places previously where I've been subjected to abuse in the street so a little wary of new areas. 

A family member has just sold a lovely 2bedroom semi detached house on a cul de sac in Chapeltown  last week for £203k. We are Of Pakistani descent and have not encountered any open racism in Chapeltown but being honest there are a small minority of closet racists as is the case with a lot of places and I don’t think you will get shouted at in the street type racism. High Green is a bit rougher nowadays so I would give it a swerve.

27 minutes ago, mafya said:

A family member has just sold a lovely 2bedroom semi detached house on a cul de sac in Chapeltown  last week for £203k. We are Of Pakistani descent and have not encountered any open racism in Chapeltown but being honest there are a small minority of closet racists as is the case with a lot of places and I don’t think you will get shouted at in the street type racism. High Green is a bit rougher nowadays so I would give it a swerve.

Thank you, that's really helpful. :) 

It may interest you to know there are at least couple of walking  groups based in Chapeltown (Two  I know personally and can recommend both) .

The area is surrounded by good walking countryside.

Good luck with your search.

29 minutes ago, Thorpist said:

It may interest you to know there are at least couple of walking  groups based in Chapeltown (Two  I know personally and can recommend both) .

The area is surrounded by good walking countryside.

Good luck with your search.

Thank you. I am hoping to meet new friends too so walking groups sound perfect.  :) 

I never saw any bother in Chapeltown, it's a good little place and has decent ammenities.

Very good access to the M1, train station in the centre with regular services to Sheffield and Leeds.

I would certainly recommend Chapeltown too.   A few of my family members live there.

On 05/05/2022 at 11:38, geared said:

I never saw any bother in Chapeltown, it's a good little place and has decent ammenities.

Very good access to the M1, train station in the centre with regular services to Sheffield and Leeds.

Thank you. Sounds great.

19 hours ago, francypants said:

I would certainly recommend Chapeltown too.   A few of my family members live there.

Thank you for your reply.

I've been living in Chapeltown since 2002 in the same house.  It's got an Asda and a mix of smaller Sainsbury, co-op etc and a Lidl opening sometime this year (in construction now).  My daughter went to primary in a High Green school and had a few friends of various races but neither are the most racially diverse areas of Sheffield.  The people I worked with who said they thought Chapeltown was a bit rough said thing like "I drove through it and there were some young guys in hoodies".  That's not rough, you'll see the same in  any  of the Uni areas.  

There's a gym here https://www.placesleisure.org/centres/thorncliffe-health-and-leisure-centre/

The train is fast into Sheffield but used to be packed coming out at peak time.  I used to park and ride the tram from Meadowhall when I worked in the centre. 

I lived on a small Scottish island, Glasgow, Portsmouth, Fareham for years at a time and Chap is pretty quiet compared to them. 

• Like 1