Stealing From The Common People .

52 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Well Anna to some of our compatriots getting a newish people carrier or Chelsea tractor plus a holiday in Benmadena makes them part of the upper classes , The sad part is they forget where they come from and look down on others who get left behind . Maggie Thatcher had it to a T when she brought in the right to buy our social housing ,it created millions of wanabe ten bob millionaires who then voted Tory .

Re: Thatcher selling off social housing: why did no one question the logic of not being allowed to use the money generated to build modern and up to date new social housing to replace the old. Then we wouldn't have half the problems we have today.

And where did all the money go that flooded in when she sold off our Utilities?

Why did no one question the wisdom of allowing our sustaining Utilities into foreign hands?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

Re: Thatcher selling off social housing: why did no one question the logic of not being allowed to use the money generated to build modern and up to date new social housing to replace the old. Then we wouldn't have half the problems we have today.

And where did all the money go that flooded in when she sold off our Utilities?

Why did no one question the wisdom of allowing our sustaining Utilities into foreign hands?

Probably because those who could have stopped it had a backhander or two. It has been known.

• Like 1

On 03/05/2022 at 08:19, Kidorry said:

Probably because those who could have stopped it had a backhander or two. It has been known.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised. I'm sure some Tories would have found ways to get rich out of it.

Selling off our assetts was a big mistake, capitalist short termism at its worst. And responsible for many of the problems we have now. 

14 hours ago, Anna B said:

Wouldn't be a bit surprised. I'm sure some Tories would have found ways to get rich out of it.

Selling off our assetts was a big mistake, capitalist short termism at its worst. And responsible for many of the problems we have now. 

How do you feel about stealing money from generations yet unborn?

To whit, spiraling, unsustainable National Debt, to get what you demand now,  which you have no intention, or possibility of paying?

On 05/05/2022 at 13:11, trastrick said:

How do you feel about stealing money from generations yet unborn?

To whit, spiraling, unsustainable National Debt, to get what you demand now,  which you have no intention, or possibility of paying?

I was born after the second world war, but we didn't finish paying back the loans to America until the late 1990's so a fair amount of my tax went towards that. I'm not complaining, a government usually exists by borrowing and loans - always has. But the Conservatives have made a point of making people feel guilty if money is spent on the people. 

It's just an excuse  they use to not spend money on the people who pay the taxes. They spend it instead on propping up millionaires and wars.

Austerity wasn't necessary and didn't work. They would have done better to invest in the people and the infrastructure to get the economy going, but the Tories can always find a reason not to invest in the future, and we're the poor saps who believe them. But then they are our elders and betters, born to rule over us. They would never lie to us would they...?  

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I was born after the second world war, but we didn't finish paying back the loans to America until the late 1990's so a fair amount of my tax went towards that. I'm not complaining, a government usually exists by borrowing and loans - always has. But the Conservatives have made a point of making people feel guilty if money is spent on the people. 

It's just an excuse  they use to not spend money on the people who pay the taxes. They spend it instead on propping up millionaires and wars.

Austerity wasn't necessary and didn't work. They would have done better to invest in the people and the infrastructure to get the economy going, but the Tories can always find a reason not to invest in the future, and we're the poor saps who believe them. But then they are our elders and betters, born to rule over us. They would never lie to us would they...?  

They might be your elders and betters , they are definitely not mine 

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

They might be your elders and betters , they are definitely not mine 

No not mine either. But that's how they see themselves.

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

No not mine either. But that's how they see themselves.

I was just going on what you said . By the way , are you just on about Tories here or anyone in power ?

Edited by hackey lad

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

I was just going on what you said . By the way , are you just on about Tories here or anyone in power ?

Mainly Tories like Boris and the old Etonians. Born to rule...

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Mainly Tories like Boris and the old Etonians. Born to rule...

Thought so 

16 hours ago, Anna B said:

What angers me about that it the way Douglas Hurd let Germany off paying the vast amount of money they were due to pay us for WW2. Pity America didn't let us off the same way.

16 hours ago, Anna B said:

I was born after the second world war, but we didn't finish paying back the loans to America until the late 1990's so a fair amount of my tax went towards that. I'm not complaining, a government usually exists by borrowing and loans - always has.

I just did a quick Google, WW2 cost the UK 33% of GDP, we are now in debt to the tune of 90%.

Debt is a normal thing for modern Governments, the corrupt ones spend, spend and spend, they let the next government pay it back.