Getting Arrested

7 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Don't do anything to get arrested and you don't need to worry about it

Exactly! but what if you are wrongly accused - would it be time to 'worry' then.

Get a solicitor every time - take their advice. 

Thinking  your  being helpful doesn't always work to your advantage.

2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

People who don't do anything to get arrested get arrested all the time.

Correct DADDY

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

I believe they changed the rules in the 90s, could've even been during the biggie, the criminal justice act.

No longer did your right to silence be a defence

I’m not sure silence would be considered a defence. I would think it’s more akin to not giving the shooting squad any ammunition which may be used against you.

I believe in our justice system, there is an assumption of innocence, and it’s up to the prosecution to demonstrate your guilt. Anything you say, can be used against you (taken out of context, misrepresented, whatever); I don’t think it’s the case that anything you say to the police can be used *for* you.

Found this quite interesting, even the police recommend not saying anything...

16 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I’m not sure silence would be considered a defence. I would think it’s more akin to not giving the shooting squad any ammunition which may be used against you.

I believe in our justice system, there is an assumption of innocence, and it’s up to the prosecution to demonstrate your guilt. Anything you say, can be used against you (taken out of context, misrepresented, whatever); I don’t think it’s the case that anything you say to the police can be used *for* you.

Found this quite interesting, even the police recommend not saying anything...

This is barely relevant, unless you are in the USA.  

I would always take the advice of a solicitor.  USA law graduates not included 😁

2 minutes ago, Tipstaff said:

This is barely relevant, unless you are in the USA.  

46.35 mins.

I don't think I got two minutes in :blush:  Anymore and the gob shi*e would have had me admitting I was the mystery man on the grassy knoll and responsible for killing JFK  8) .

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

46.35 mins.

I don't think I got two minutes in :blush:  Anymore and the gob shi*e would have had me admitting I was the mystery man on the grassy knoll and responsible for killing JFK  8) .

😂🤣 2 minutes? I managed just one! 😁👍

Be interested to hear from actual qualified legal professionals on the matter. Specifically similarities / differences between UK and US justice systems, and how relevant advice given in video, may be in the UK.

6 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

😂🤣 

Better not to get arrested.  And the way to do that is to observe the law. It is not that difficult. 

52 minutes ago, DavidFrance said:

Better not to get arrested.  And the way to do that is to observe the law. It is not that difficult. 

And if you do observe the law and Still get arrested. 

What then?

54 minutes ago, DavidFrance said:

Doing nothing wrong doesn't mean your exempt from arrest or being questioned by the police, it's the law 🤣.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,"  - then bugger off before the Bizzies come 🤣 🤣 🤣.

• Haha 1

The police caution should always, or usually, be followed by the question; 'Do you understand?' Their reply will always be recorded in the officers notebook, or recorded on whatever body device they're using these days. We've all seen those Police Interceptor type programmes where they do not understand that they've nicked a car and driven without due care and attention, no insurance, etc, at 110 mph through the quiet streets of Toytown...sort of shows their mentality. I think after the caution the officer is then not allowed to further question the suspect, as that would be deemed an illegal interview, until, obviously the interview thats recorded at the nick.

Edited by Foot and Mouth