Mystery Vinyl Record Shop In Sheffield

Hello folks,

About 3 years ago, possibly 4 I was planning a trip to Sheffield to do some record shopping and specifically planned to visit a shop slightly outside of the town centre.

I never did manage to visit the place but from what I remember it was only open on Saturdays and Sundays and it may have been part of a book shop.

It looked like a brilliant place to buy collectable records and I can recall it having excellent reviews on google.

I've tried googling for it again but I can't find anything. It keeps coming up with the same record shops in Sheffield that it definitely isn't, namely all of the ones mentioned in here:

https://longlivevinyl.net/2019/04/23/the-trip-sheffields-best-record-shops/

Have I imagined that this place exists? Maybe it closed down? Perhaps it changed name or moved address like Tonearm did?

I cannot for the life of me remember the name or which part of Sheffield it was in. Driving me a bit mad.

It was 2 shortish bus journeys out of the town centre if I remember correctly. Not massively far out.

For somewhere to just vanish from internet searches just feels a bit strange. Usually it would still be marked but with a 'permanently closed' underneath if that were the case.

Any ideas anyone??

Cheers

It wasnt Rare and Racy on Division Street was it? That wouldnt need 2 bus journeys though.

Was it Kelham Island Books & Music? That was formally called Books on the Park on Eccesall Road & I'm pretty sure was only open on weekends? 

There is Spinning Discs in Heeley, but that's only one bus away from the centre, and not a bookshop. 

I have vague memories of another 2nd hand record store I used to use (can't remember the name - if it had one) run by a guy called Mark who hada great knowledge of music but very poor eyesight.  That was even closer though, operating out of a large room up a flight of stairs next door to the Howard Hotel - around 100 yards from the Interchange.  It sold some music-related books as well as plenty of vinyl.

Thanks for the suggestions, but it's neither of those two.

I remember going to Rare n Racy a while back heard it had closed not too long ago which is a real shame.

It's not Kelham Island books & music, and I would probably rule out Kelham Island as an area in general.

I can remember it being its own shop in a row on a high street rather than as part of an arcade or within a mill development.

....wait maybe I'm wrong and it was only open on weekdays and not weekends. Or just Sundays and Mondays?? Something strange like that. 

I wish I could remember more about the area and which bus I was going to get but I really can't.

15 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

There is Spinning Discs in Heeley, but that's only one bus away from the centre, and not a bookshop. 

I have vague memories of another 2nd hand record store I used to use (can't remember the name - if it had one) run by a guy called Mark who hada great knowledge of music but very poor eyesight.  That was even closer though, operating out of a large room up a flight of stairs next door to the Howard Hotel - around 100 yards from the Interchange.  It sold some music-related books as well as plenty of vinyl.

It's not Spinning Discs although this looks a decent place which I will definitely have to check out.

34 minutes ago, Yass16 said:

It's not Kelham Island books & music, and I would probably rule out Kelham Island as an area in general.

I can remember it being its own shop in a row on a high street rather than as part of an arcade or within a mill development.

This was previously called Books on the Park on Eccy Road - would it be that general area?

Image of what it looked like on this article: https://www.rmcmedia.co.uk/vibe/movers-and-makers/article/Books-on-the-Park-to-open-in-Kelham-Island 

It's not Books on the park. I really cannot remember the area, it's so frustrating. 

Tonearm vinyl look to have gone online now but also with something happening in the antiques emporium. They had a space in Kelham Island that I once visited but does anyone know where they were based before Kelham?  

Still not 100% sure but it looks like I might have been thinking of Tonearm Vinyl when they were based on South Road, Walkley.

A bit of googling tells me that they kept moving around up there, 401, 293 and 381 South Road were all once home to Tonearm.

Opening hours were once:

Thursdays & Fridays 5.30pm - 7pm

Saturdays 12pm - 5pm

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x487978962ade0863%3A0x7c5fb7d0bde6ed16!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMqKInmjNFlBlb1uhQ6aaV583IhBv9uxXlUSqIQ%3Dw320-h320-k-no!5stonearm vinyl sheffield old address - Google Search!15sCgIgARICEAE&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipPag2Y-BzQZyT6wg_nxmQfxQOexnE5CkseVbVgF&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiNy_i-97H3AhXQYMAKHYibBaoQoip6BAhWEAM

... so I think that might be the one.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Yass16 said:

Still not 100% sure but it looks like I might have been thinking of Tonearm Vinyl when they were based on South Road, Walkley.

A bit of googling tells me that they kept moving around up there, 401, 293 and 381 South Road were all once home to Tonearm.

Looks like you've found it!  Good news story of the day!  Well done!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Looks like you've found it!  Good news story of the day!  Well done!

Yeah I even mentioned it in the original post - 🙄

So it turns out I'm trying to remember somewhere that I ended up actually going to anyway once they were at their Kelham address.

Moral of the story - I need to stick with the times and visit Sheffield more often!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Yass16 said:

Opening hours were once:

Thursdays & Fridays 5.30pm - 7pm

Saturdays 12pm - 5pm

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x487978962ade0863%3A0x7c5fb7d0bde6ed16!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMqKInmjNFlBlb1uhQ6aaV583IhBv9uxXlUSqIQ%3Dw320-h320-k-no!5stonearm vinyl sheffield old address - Google Search!15sCgIgARICEAE&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipPag2Y-BzQZyT6wg_nxmQfxQOexnE5CkseVbVgF&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiNy_i-97H3AhXQYMAKHYibBaoQoip6BAhWEAM

Certainly wouldnt require a bus journey of two buses from the City Centre, though, so that bit of your memory is wrong.