Hairdressers

Just out of interest how much are you ladies paying when you go to the hairdressers. Eg a wash cut and dry or a wet trim. Thanks

Mrs Tipstaff pays about £60 (well, I pay!) but that includes making the grey hair disappear too. 🙄😁👍

I don't want to go off topic, but what I can share is that after the lockdown finished, a gents cut at the salon where I  go went up from £7 to £10. I think there has been an element of trying to recoup losses made during the two lockdowns by buisnesses. I still go there because the lady does a very good job. 

@Caroline

If yours has gone up by a 3rd I can understand you asking the question. It will be quite an increase for lady customers.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

To be fair the price of £7 was too low.  I think it's more likely about trying to keep the business viable.  

I think my haircut at £7 is more than enough, considering it takes no more than a few minutes with the clippers!  
It’s a licence to print money with some salons charging ladies £20 plus more for the same service!

Shampoo, cut (style) and blow dry £25.   Pensioner rate!

10 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You're clearly not very business savvy. I suggest you have a walk around your local town during Monday to Thursday mornings and look to see how many people are waiting for hair cuts in the barbers.  Most likely you will see there are no customers waiting and the barbers / hairdressers are sat down talking with each other.  The high street barbers / hairdressers have huge overheads such as paying staff, paying the rent and paying the council business rates.

I pay £14 at my barbers. Have been going to them since I was little. Always get a good cut/service.  Was £9 but that was several years ago. If you go there on weekday mornings it's very quiet but have to que on a Saturday.  I'm guessing they're not making much on a £7 cut.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Most likely you will see there are no customers waiting and the barbers / hairdressers are sat down talking with each other.  The high street barbers / hairdressers have huge overheads such as paying staff, paying the rent and paying the council business rates.

I used to pay £3, it stated £5 on the window, it now costs me £5 and it says £8 on the window.

Many barber shops seem empty, but still more opening because retail is struggling.

It may now cost me £5 but five minutes and it's done, eye brows included.

Of that £5, they have almost zero costs, except for things like rent.

I pay nowt.

I do it myself with the clippers.

10 hours ago, West 77 said:

You're clearly not very business savvy. I suggest you have a walk around your local town during Monday to Thursday mornings and look to see how many people are waiting for hair cuts in the barbers.  Most likely you will see there are no customers waiting and the barbers / hairdressers are sat down talking with each other.  The high street barbers / hairdressers have huge overheads such as paying staff, paying the rent and paying the council business rates.

I’m business savvy, as you call it. I have managed several, very successfully!  The influx of the numerous Turkish barbers shops, mainly empty most of the time shows how many people are voting with their feet, as they should! The successful barbers shop / hairdressers is priced competitively, run properly and professionally, kept clean and tidy and is open and honest about it’s charges.

Edited by Tipstaff
Misspelled

10 hours ago, El Cid said:

I used to pay £3, it stated £5 on the window, it now costs me £5 and it says £8 on the window.

Many barber shops seem empty, but still more opening because retail is struggling.

It may now cost me £5 but five minutes and it's done, eye brows included.

Of that £5, they have almost zero costs, except for things like rent.

And staff costs and utility bills and business rates and other miscellaneous costs.

5 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

And staff costs and utility bills and business rates and other miscellaneous costs.

Most small businesses are exempt from business rates, an electric shaver doesn't use much electric.

26 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Most small businesses are exempt from business rates, an electric shaver doesn't use much electric.

What about things like heat and light and water and property rental and insurance costs.  What about replacement scissors, blades, combs, sterilising fluid, hair styling products, cleaning products.   

This is not just some bloke with a plastic chair and a cheap Poundland buzz cutter.  

Even the smallest simplest business operation has far more overheads than people think.