Did the former PWD (Public Works Department) have a central HQ like the City  Engineers (SCCE) had on Olive Grove Road as well depots  around the city ?

Edited by St Petre
add

I worked at PWD 1970-74. As I remember the HQ was at Olive Grove Road. I worked in a team spraying Aerocem (or something like that) on the houses. I used to along with another chap (Barnie Grubb and a couple more men ) scaffolding and cleaning around the windows after the walls had been sprayed. If you worked within a distance from Olive Grove you didn't get travelling expenses. But over that limit you did. For a few months I was with a gang working round the manor. I lived in Hillsboro. at the time. So I didn't get any expenses.

Didn’t Barnie Grubb end up as a fireman in Trumpton ?

The central depot was on Worthing Road until about 1978/9, when it transferred to Manor Lane.

I worked in the Heating section.

Edited by Magneteer

Hi Everybody,

Didn't the PWD have a department in the Prince of Wales Road/Pipworth School area during the 1960's?

I've a memory of seeing lorries in that area when I used to visit my Grandmother in Darnell.

Wazzie Worrall

Yes it was down the lane between the school and the cottages.

3 hours ago, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Everybody,

Didn't the PWD have a department in the Prince of Wales Road/Pipworth School area during the 1960's?

I've a memory of seeing lorries in that area when I used to visit my Grandmother in Darnell.

Wazzie Worrall

I think that may have been a City Engineers depot, if the lorries were maroon coloured, PWD had grey ones.

PWD later to become SWD, had a few local depots dotted around the city ie. Greenhill, Crookes, Bramhall Lane( joiner's shop and transport) and a section based in the Polytechnic, Pond St.

On 24/04/2022 at 12:03, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Everybody,

Wazzie Worrall

I remember the same depot but with horse and carts that were the norm for the street cleaners. This was in the late forties / early fifties.

Edited by lazarus

I think there was a depot on Harborough avenue

Worked from the PWD depot at Moonshine Lane terminus opposite the library early 70s.  The head offices were situated at Fitzwilliam Gate near the bottom of the Moor. There was a pet shop nearby.

On 26/04/2022 at 16:47, briret said:

I think there was a depot on Harborough avenue

That was more a repairs and rent office.