Cards Only!

I went out for a few sherbets with my old boss and friend last night. I thought we’d try the Bath Hotel in Gell St first as I hadn’t been in there since the 1980’s. The furnishings (and carpets) had remained, but the old fashioned charm hadn’t had any influence on the chap behind the bar.  The poor untidy chap, who seemed to have a serious aversion to soap and water was talking to the only other customer on the premises as we approached the bar. “Card only” we were told, and “They don’t trust me with cash”, jokingly it seemed?  I duly paid with my card. So, if I’d just brought cash, I wouldn’t have been able to buy drinks? How ridiculous!

We had the drinks and decided not to stay.

Have events in the world the last 2 years passed you by? Its the way things are going.

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Have events in the world the last 2 years passed you by? Its the way things are going.

No, nothing’s passed me by.

35 minutes ago, Tipstaff said:

I went out for a few sherbets with my old boss and friend last night. I thought we’d try the Bath Hotel in Gell St first as I hadn’t been in there since the 1980’s. The furnishings (and carpets) had remained, but the old fashioned charm hadn’t had any influence on the chap behind the bar.  The poor untidy chap, who seemed to have a serious aversion to soap and water was talking to the only other customer on the premises as we approached the bar. “Card only” we were told, and “They don’t trust me with cash”, jokingly it seemed?  I duly paid with my card. So, if I’d just brought cash, I wouldn’t have been able to buy drinks? How ridiculous!

We had the drinks and decided not to stay.

Crazy int it Tipstaff,

As HHR says "thats the way things are going"

There's a thread on the Forum about a cashless society, and I'm afraid it's on it's way..

My 2 daughters never use cash, they just use that swipe thing..

I'm an old Dinosaur who still believes Cash is King.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Padders said:

I'm an old Dinosaur who still believes Cash is King.

You're not the only Dinosaur left Padders.   I can see a time approaching where we are left searching for the last few places that take our cash and exchange it for food, then meeting up in the last remaining pubs that accept currency to remenisce about the time before contactless took over the world.....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

You're not the only Dinosaur left Padders.   I can see a time approaching where we are left searching for the last few places that take our cash and exchange it for food, then meeting up in the last remaining pubs that accept currency to remenisce about the time before contactless took over the world.....

"Padders Bar" when it reopens will be cash only...anyone flashing their contactless credentials will be barred....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Padders said:

"Padders Bar" when it reopens will be cash only...anyone flashing their contactless credentials will be barred....

Mine’s a pint 🍺👍😁

1 minute ago, Tipstaff said:

Mine’s a pint 🍺👍😁

🍺

New customers always welcome.

Hmmm... :huh:

Sorry to interrupt but...

... did I hear someone mention dinosaurs? :suspect:

• Haha 1

Contrary to popular opinion, dinosaurs didn't die out - they evolved into very humorous creatures, and starred on TV:

It's even better when they say " cash only"

Never have any in my wallet!

• Haha 1

Cards can be o.k,but not everyone likes to take them out while drinking,as they can easily be spiked or lost,so those pubs with card only offer are totally wrong  doing this to consumers

• Like 1