Cards Only!

26 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

Greene King pubs, a mid range bottle of wine, £6-7 in a supermarket, £21 there! 

Above is the response from Ms Blake. Now that I read it back, it sounds more promising than I remembered it to be!

Mark-ups for drinks. 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/214929/why-do-wine-and-spirits-costs-so-much-in-pubs-and-restaurants-compared-to-beer

Food is marked up around the 30% mark. 

https://www.lightspeedhq.co.uk/blog/how-to-calculate-restaurant-food-costs-uk/#:~:text=In order to run a,of a dish's menu price.

It can be as high as 70% in London but then again, nobody is forcing people to eat at such establishments. 

The MP's letter is very much as I would have expected.  'Monitoring' the situation. 

Edited by Baron99

13 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

Completely off topic but a significant number of pubs are taking advantage of the inflation and energy hikes meaning the actual costs of providing the drink is amibguous to the customer. The Head Of Steam on The Crucible Quarter charges £7 for a pint of beer, but another pub I went to charges £2.28. Some pubs are hiking things to as much as people are willing to pay and some are following a structured mark up protocol. It's easy to see which pub is doing which.

My bold. 

I'm all for dragging the toplc back on course & the fact is, there is no conspiracy theory to businesses wanting to use cards only if they wish, neither is it a Govt dictat. 

I'm guessing I'm a few decades older than you & what is actually driving the use of cards to purchase goods & services is actually the young in society.   I welcome the use of cards for convenience. 

I also see that in another thread, your hoping a Sheffield business, 'The Itchy Pig' goes out of business because its gone card only.  Maybe you'd like to explain to the staff there, if it does go out of business, (it won't), that you'd wish them & any similar card only business a 'Happy Unemployment!'. 

Edited by Baron99

4 hours ago, LovePotion said:

Type in to YouTube "Uber Rider Cancels During Trip", you will find a vast array of videos where the passenger cancels the trip on their mobile phone a significant distance from the destination to avoid paying. 

Yes and you will also find equally voluminous amounts of information explaining how the drivers are aware of this potential trick and what they do when it happens including stopping immediately and asking the passenger to leave at that point of the journey. If necessary, they can can aldo raise support requests with all the customers account details, identity, bank card details and address logged on the system at the click of a button which could easily be passed over to the police despite the customer trying to pull a fast one.

Nice try but it still doesn't detract from my primary points about convenience, security, safety and auditability electronic transactions have over physical cash.

10 hours ago, LovePotion said:

Completely off topic but a significant number of pubs are taking advantage of the inflation and energy hikes meaning the actual costs of providing the drink is amibguous to the customer. The Head Of Steam on The Crucible Quarter charges £7 for a pint of beer, but another pub I went to charges £2.28.

The exact same beverage? Or are you comparing a craft beer with a pint of crappy Carlsberg or Sam Smiths?

I suspect you will be quieter today anyway as the schools go back.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Guest makapaka
12 hours ago, LovePotion said:

The Head Of Steam on The Crucible Quarter charges £7 for a pint of beer, but another pub I went to charges £2.28.

Are you comparing like for like beers there tho?

i had a pint in the head of steam last week and didn’t pay anywhere near £7. 

£3 something from memory