Cards Only!

i always thought cash was king,but not of the last few years,but cash has been spent more in recent times the paper said the other day according to the banks

5 hours ago, 1295galaxy said:

Cards can be o.k,but not everyone likes to take them out while drinking,as they can easily be spiked or lost,so those pubs with card only offer are totally wrong  doing this to consumers

I agree with this. When I go out on an evening I'll take both a card and cash (in separate locations about my person). As a purchaser I don't see the advantage of having to be restricted to just one form of payment.

But if I were the sort of person to over-imbibe (perish the thought) and went out only with cash, say £45, in my pocket and I get my pocket picked, the perps just get the £45. With a contactless debit card they could rob me of  more than that in multiple transactions before they were blocked.

Of course, the answer is to always be aware of what is going on around you – and not to get too squiffy.

Edited by horribleblob
Clarification
  • Like 1

I sometimes wonder how I’d give my grandchildren a treat without a few quid available?  It used to be £5 notes when they were small, but now they’re growing up…………🙄💷

3 minutes ago, Tipstaff said:

I sometimes wonder how I’d give my grandchildren a treat without a few quid available?  It used to be £5 notes when they were small, but now they’re growing up…………🙄💷

My two grandkids are 14 and 17.

50 quid a treat now!!!

• Like 1

I hope you’ve all got the special sleeves or wallets to prevent your contactless cards getting skimmed?

Now you are just scaremongering. How many cases of that occur per year?

Apple pay on your phone is the easiest way by a mile . No need to carry cash or a card. 
For many years  i resisted, and used to curse students paying for rounds in crowded bars in town . Nowdays its the people with cash that slow things down at the bar. 

58 minutes ago, modforlife said:

Apple pay on your phone is the easiest way by a mile . No need to carry cash or a card. 
For many years  i resisted, and used to curse students paying for rounds in crowded bars in town . Nowdays its the people with cash that slow things down at the bar. 

... until the app or the providers website goes down and you are left trying to find a cashpoint!  Seen it often, whereas I just pay by cash and get my beer!

14 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

... until the app or the providers website goes down and you are left trying to find a cashpoint!  Seen it often, whereas I just pay by cash and get my beer!

What about if the cashpoints are down? See, nothing is infallable.

Surely in this day & age, if you go out you take both cash & cards, especially if you go to pubs, bars, restaurants you're not familiar with.  For God sake people, you're supposed to be adults, otherwise grow up. 

I've been carrying both for well before the pandemic in my wallet.   I also see the if I need a taxi in Sheffield, a certain taxi firm now has a number of alternative methods to paying cash.   

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, LovePotion said:

As adults, we should have the choice in how we pay, not be pressurised in to paying with card by businesses/Government agenda. Many of us prefer to pay with proper money (cash) instead of immitation money (card bank transfer).

It's like everything else LP.

It's called progress, I love cash, I love the smell of it, the only thing better than cash, is more cash...

Very rare I use a card (plastic money) this generation will be telling their grandkids how they used to use coinage...

Having said that, I wish they would get rid of 1p's and 2p's.

Daughter was in Asda other day , self service tills went down not accepting cards . Normal people went outside and got cash out of bank , other people stood looking at the tills waving their cards . Cash is King