Stocksbridge Public Toilets - Manchester Road

I was out walking recently and I found a set of abandoned public toilets on Manchester Road in Stocksbridge, across from the new build complex. The roof seems to have gone but there is mesh at the top, it seems to be supporting a low hanging tree. The inside is filled with leaves and debris. This is next to a bus stop. Does anyone know when these toilets closed? What a shame, it's a very quirky looking building and I imagine it was a valued amenity to anyone passing by!

Go on then, call me 'Mr Gullible' but I'll fall for it :huh:.

But first - Change the avatar Love Potion.

For a 28 year old your sure looking good - All-be-it in a rather 'too spooky' almost 'stalker-ish' way :suspect: 🤣.

Right here we go.

Why the strange interest in disused public toilets? (this is not LP's first post on the same subject).

Architecture I understand, Quirky, I understand

But, Please tell, what redeeming qualities or 'quirkiness' does the brick built (Modernistic?) 'Cottage' on Manchester Rd actually have :?:.

It's well known, the reasoning for the vast majority of 'public toilets' being closed was, purely a financial one (for which ever council had to maintain them). But lets be honest, most of them 'stunk' to 'Hell' and in most cases a place to be avoided unless,  reading rude 'Rhymes' enjoying 'obscene drawings' or 'collecting'  /  'Leaving 'phone numbers was your thing :huh: :suspect:.

I've always said "It's nice to have an interest", something I have many of - especially 'Local History', Architecture &  revisiting places from my youth :huh: :suspect: :huh: . 

Keep safe out there 8) .

39 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Please tell, what redeeming qualities or 'quirkiness' does the brick built (Modernistic?) 'Cottage' on Manchester Rd actually have :?:.

It's 1980s/1990s architecture and I think it looks quite interesting. 

41 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

For a 28 year old your sure looking good

Thank you, but I'm not 28.

29 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

It's 1980s/1990s architecture and I think it looks quite interesting. 

Thank you, but I'm not 28.

Must have been a different 'Love Potion' that told us they were 28 and born in Jessops, mind you that was nearly a year ago - so 29 if you've had a birthday 🤡🤡 🍰 🎈 🎈 🤡 🤡 :banana:

2 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Must have been a different 'Love Potion' that told us they were 28 and born in Jessops, mind you that was nearly a year ago - so 29 if you've had a birthday 🤡🤡 🍰 🎈 🎈 🤡 🤡 :banana:

I'm the only Love Potion as far as I know...

Just now, LovePotion said:

I'm the only Love Potion as far as I know...

Keep 🎣 🤡

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LovePotion said:

I was out walking recently and I found a set of abandoned public toilets on Manchester Road in Stocksbridge, across from the new build complex. The roof seems to have gone but there is mesh at the top, it seems to be supporting a low hanging tree. The inside is filled with leaves and debris. This is next to a bus stop. Does anyone know when these toilets closed? What a shame, it's a very quirky looking building and I imagine it was a valued amenity to anyone passing by!

Probably used by people waiting for a bus at one time.

As someone mentioned they were funded by the Council but don't get me started about them.

3 minutes ago, Cody's Granddad said:

Probably used by people waiting for a bus at one time.

As someone mentioned they were funded by the Council but don't get me started about them.

I'm not sure how the council can justify closing them when people will always need to wee and poo. There are no other toilets in the area that are open to the public. It's not good for people visiting the area. It can't cost that much in council funding, as most public toilets are standard tiles that don't need much maintenance, are pretty much vandal proof and the urinals take care of themselves. All it would take is someome once a week to come and put some loo roll in. They could get the people who empty the litter bins to do it and save on labour costs. Such a shame as public toilets were once guaranteed ameneties.

29 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

I'm not sure how the council can justify closing them when people will always need to wee and poo. There are no other toilets in the area that are open to the public. It's not good for people visiting the area. It can't cost that much in council funding, as most public toilets are standard tiles that don't need much maintenance, are pretty much vandal proof and the urinals take care of themselves. All it would take is someome once a week to come and put some loo roll in. They could get the people who empty the litter bins to do it and save on labour costs. Such a shame as public toilets were once guaranteed ameneties.

Ugh, Public Toilets,

In my humble opinion using public toilets is the creepiest and most uncomfortable way to spend a "penny"

You never know who you're going to bump into, and the chances of something truly strange happening goes WAY up when the sun goes down..

It appears all public toilets are a breeding ground for odd behaviour, so you have to roll the dice and take your chance when nature calls.

5 minutes ago, Padders said:

are a breeding ground for odd behaviour

What do you define as odd behaviour?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

Here we go - & Exactly what you were 🎣 for. 

By the way there are 3 set's of toilets in the 'Fox Valley shopping centre.

So that's not the only thing that don't hold water about your lack of public amenities  :rolleyes:.

Edited by Rockers rule
-

3 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

Naivety at it's very best :hihi: