Would A Million Pound Gor Far?

Just now, Hotmale 1954 said:

This is exactly why young 'uns of today struggle to find a house. 2nd homes should be banned. A 'Portfolio' should absolutely be banned. My neighbour has over a hundred houses and buys two more every year.

Exorbitant rents, housing shortage and no hope for many.

It's wrong and it stinks.

IMO.

So just who is going to provide the homes for theses 'young un's' to live in  - council house building - how's that going ?

Housing shortage ? where's the shortage if your neighbour houses are all  tenanted ?

Not wrong.

Some people don't want to buy (God knows why).

We  might have had more opportunities to get on the property ladder, does that make it wrong that we did?

I shan't go into bringing 1,000 of people into the country with not enough housing projects being built, or for years minimum wages were dire to the point even a couple both in work couldn't afford to buy. (i'll add zero hour contracts into the equation at this point). 

That's my little rant. We were lucky, no doubt about it, but we'd our heads screwed on right and back then if you were in employment there was a good chance you were in it for the full 40 years.

Ok min wages are up, but will the banks start lending again?

Keep safe 8) .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

This is exactly why young 'uns of today struggle to find a house. 2nd homes should be banned. A 'Portfolio' should absolutely be banned. My neighbour has over a hundred houses and buys two more every year.

Exorbitant rents, housing shortage and no hope for many.

It's wrong and it stinks.

IMO.

I don't blame entrepreneurs who work hard to make a good living

I blame our open borders  and the people who expect free council housing 

Edited by Jack Grey

Guest sibon
2 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

I don't blame entrepreneurs who work hard to make a good living

I blame our open borders  and the people who expect free council housing 

You should use your million pounds to help the poor.

You seem well suited to that.

8 hours ago, sibon said:

We are fortunate to live in a country where anyone regardless of race, sex or sexual preference can succeed

Why should I give away my money I have worked  hard all my life for?

10 hours ago, sibon said:

So you've made your million, hopefully not by deceit, no doubt paying your tax's along the way -  to give it to the poor ?

You've won a million (which ain't going to go far) so your going to help the poor by using some of that money, while the government who should be looking after the poor in the first place, give millions away to France, Rwanda & any of the other hair brain'd scheme the Blonde Buffoon in charge deems fit.

Stuff that! 'I need a house with a pool, a 59 Cadillac, 58 Edsel (both in Pink, well the Cadillac at least), couple of Harleys (not in Pink), you know, the essentials in life.

I'm not greedy :rolleyes: 8) :bigsmile: 👍.

Keep safe out there 8) .

• Haha 1

There's at least 100 houses in Sheffield housing Students. My neighbour owns them. Paid cash 'cos he can. That's 100 locals with less choice. God knows how many private Landlords we have. Some have hundreds if not thousands of houses. That's thousands of local with less choice. Student houses?  6 students at £80 to £100 a room. £600 (or more) a week, per property. No Mortgage. No Council Tax whilst empty. Locals can't compete with that. Landlords couldn't give a lite. Right wingers couldn't give a lite. The houses should be taken back by the Council and rented out, at reasonable, properly affordable prices to responsible locals. The Uni should build properties for students, on Uni land, at realistic prices. That way, only a few people won't be happier and that would be rich, very rich  greedy arrogant Landlords. Ooo, they'd have to get a job and work for a living. There  there, how sad, never mind. Money is now, and will continue to, eat itself.

Edited by Hotmale 1954

Council aren’t bothered ….look at all the council housing stock they demolish years ago and the land stood empty ….now sold to private builders…

It's no coincidence that my opponents both blame 'open borders'. Tory values and policies in a nutshell. Us first, us second and 3rd and 4th.

There's no such thing as Society.

And isn't that clear to see from the current state of our country and other right wing led countries.

Protests day after day after day.

16 minutes ago, alarmingmark said:

Council aren’t bothered ….look at all the council housing stock they demolish years ago and the land stood empty ….now sold to private builders…

That's because privatisation is the only acceptable policy that will get any finance or support from a Conservative Government. They've closed everything. Don't blame Labour either. The last proper Labour Government was back in the 70's when average people could easily rent or buy houses.

I bought my house for £12k.

Thatcher was elected. Within 5 years it was 'worth' £28k. It wasn't, but Thatcher made it that way. Now? £200k? More?

Stupid policies, stupid greed, stupid Capitalism. My rates in Sheffield (when it was probably a better place) with 2p and 5p bus fares, was £164 A YEAR. Thatcher's Poll Tax policy? Within a few years, bus fares at £1 a pop and 'Council Tax' £64 A MONTH. In the words of Bruce Forsyth, Good game, good game.

Take money from society and feed it to evermore greedy, very rich individuals.

That HAS to fail, or we're farged.

Edited by Hotmale 1954

1 hour ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

There's at least 100 houses in Sheffield housing Students. My neighbour owns them. Paid cash 'cos he can. That's 100 locals with less choice. God knows how many private Landlords we have. Some have hundreds if not thousands of houses. That's thousands of local with less choice. Student houses?  6 students at £80 to £100 a room. £600 (or more) a week, per property. No Mortgage. No Council Tax whilst empty. Locals can't compete with that. Landlords couldn't give a lite. Right wingers couldn't give a lite. The houses should be taken back by the Council and rented out, at reasonable, properly affordable prices to responsible locals. The Uni should build properties for students, on Uni land, at realistic prices. That way, only a few people won't be happier and that would be rich, very rich  greedy arrogant Landlords. Ooo, they'd have to get a job and work for a living. There  there, how sad, never mind. Money is now, and will continue to, eat itself.

I'm totally lost on this one.

Quick look on't t'internet, and straightaway 20+ purpose built, ultra modern high-rise student accommodation developments in Sheffield.

All housing 100's of Students at a time, many more smaller ones as well.

The only thing I can compare them to is the Halls of residence one of our daughters was in, in Leeds.

Good luck to your neighbour if he can fill his 'houses' with students.

From what I've seen Student'd don't want run down hovel's anymore. Either his houses are of a good condition or he's very lucky to be attracting Students at all.

So no it isn't 100's of local people with less choice, try shutting all those ultra modern student accommodations down - see how a real fight for renting local properties would look like.

Right wing / Left wing has nothing to do with it.

As for paying cash good luck to the guy.

Cash or HP / mortgage ?  - let me think?

Cash every time  ✔️

Keep safe 8) .

Good question... an appreciation of the reality of what an apparently large lump of cash actually buys you was part of my interview question list when I was looking for new employees in the bank I where I worked a few years ago. Most applicants were mid 20s.

"How much would I have to give you to retire?"

An answer in the GBP1 million  would be on the low side, unless they planned a very short life or to move to a low income part of the world.

Some answered in the tens of millions.... the only answer to this is "Well, the chances of you ever saving that much up are very low, even working here, so looks like you're working until you drop".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lionel Richtea said:

An answer in the GBP1 million  would be on the low side, unless they planned a very short life or to move to a low income part of the world.

Invested in a managed fund would give you at least 5% and more likely 10%.
So interest alone would give you £50k per year and a growing capital pot to keep up with inflation (allowing increased drawdown in future).

Plenty to retire on.

• Like 1