Who Are The Winners In The Current Economic Situation?

The winners will be the usual suspects. 

Big business,  share holders, the already rich etc.

The losers will also be the usual. 

The average Joe, the poor etc.

I'd suggest everyone who is able should stock up on everything they can as quickly as possible as I believe the prices of everything is going to dramatically rise in the next few months.

Things are going to get crazy.

The supermarkets did okay during the Covid lockdown and during the  slow reopening of pubs and restaurants.  The shelves  that sold alcohol, especially beer always looked empty.  
Also companies who manufactured toilet rolls, bleach, hand sanitiser and various other cleaning products must have done okay.  You couldn’t find those things for love or money on the shelves during the first covid lockdown.  Prices when up on those products due to the shortage created by the greedy public.

6 hours ago, geared said:

Don't they currently have control of the money supply?  Also isn't the point of a cryptocurrency that no-one has direct control?

Yep it uses a decentralised system and is one of the reasons some governments have already banned its use.

34 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

The supermarkets did okay during the Covid lockdown and during the  slow reopening of pubs and restaurants.  The shelves  that sold alcohol, especially beer always looked empty.  
Also companies who manufactured toilet rolls, bleach, hand sanitiser and various other cleaning products must have done okay.  You couldn’t find those things for love or money on the shelves during the first covid lockdown.  Prices when up on those products due to the shortage created by the greedy public.

Very true. However the current and upcoming price hikes and shortages will not be because of "the greedy public".

Tesco, Aldi, Saintsbury and Lidl. 

There has been lots of reference to inflation not being this high for 30 years. I cannot remember a government being so slow to address the problem with higher interest rates. 

40 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Very true. However the current and upcoming price hikes and shortages will not be because of "the greedy public".

Yes I agree with you on that one but I’m not sure the prices came back down when the shelves were full once more. 

Edited by hauxwell

On 16/04/2022 at 12:21, Janus said:

With just about everything increasing in price, there must be organisations making vast profits from the current situation.

I was reading that the 'national grid' are doing very well. I think we can also include the energy companies that are still trading, together with the producers of oil & gas. Maybe there are many others that are not quite as obvious. Who are they?

It's the change that makes things difficult. Morrison's can still make 10% profit on what they sell, the food retailers will still sell the same amount of food.

??Was that meant for a different thread? Cid?

The winners are those that haven’t felt any pain during the current pandemic, the losers won’t know anything of their losses until they see what their pension funds and savings can still buy, the folk with nothing can’t lose anything. My bet is that holiday resorts that are a pain to access will soon realise that they are in trouble when folk start holidaying a lot closer to home, making their hosts the winners.

My advice, for what it’s worth, is not to believe everything reported by the media, when did they ever thrive on good news?

2 hours ago, Janus said:

??Was that meant for a different thread? Cid?

My point is that businesses always make money, if they are allowed to trade. Energy prices are still capped. The winners are those that make bombs/arms.

Edited by El Cid

On 17/04/2022 at 14:37, Janus said:

There has been lots of reference to inflation not being this high for 30 years. I cannot remember a government being so slow to address the problem with higher interest rates. 

Brown kicked that responsibility into the domain of the Bank of England 25 years ago, since when the currency has been devalued, house prices are exorbitant, saving and borrowing rates are silly, and we had the 2008 crash, where seemingly no-one noticed that high street banks were dishing out mortgages worth more than the house, to people who could ill-afford it. Cheap money has a cost. Only a few months ago, the BofE was suggesting upcoming inflation would be a small transitory blip.

Edited by fools