Is Uk Or England A Country?

Is UK classed as a country, or are England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland all classed as countries?

I’ve  seen all referrals countries in different places, so if the who lot (UK, England, Scotland, etc) are countries, how can a country consist of other smaller countries?

Seems a bit fishy.

9 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Is UK classed as a country, or are England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland all classed as countries?

I’ve  seen all referrals countries in different places, so if the who lot (UK, England, Scotland, etc) are countries, how can a country consist of other smaller countries?

Seems a bit fishy.

Good question.

Actually that's a very good question and I don't have the answer but I'm going to watch this thread very closely 👍

24 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Good question.

Actually that's a very good question and I don't have the answer but I'm going to watch this thread very closely 👍

I do have an answer, not a very good one, cus I've bin dwinking...

Is the UK a nation comprised of Scotland, Wales, And NI.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Waldo said:

Seems a bit fishy.

Country is where t'farms is.

Fishy bits is wetness after t'seaside.

Sorted.

• Like 1

They're all countries? The UK is a united kingdom (of countries), we're just lazy generally and call the whole lot a country

So UK isn’t a country, it’s a kingdom of countries?

If the UK is a country, then a country can contain other countries; does the definition of ‘country’ allow this?

Also, could you then have countries within countries within countries?

It isn't lazy.

It is just a flexible term.

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

So UK isn’t a country, it’s a kingdom of countries?

If the UK is a country, then a country can contain other countries; does the definition of ‘country’ allow this?

Also, could you then have countries within countries within countries?

Stop it. My brain hurts 

• Like 1

The UK is a sovereign state consisting of 4 countries - England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Rollypolly said:

The UK is a sovereign state consisting of 4 countries - England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland

How is a sovereign state different to a country? I would have thought a country, by it's very nature, is a sovereign state. Just trying to understand the difference...

I'm also thinking of all those drop-down menu's you get on web-forms online. Where you have to select your country, and often 'United Country' is listed as a country. But, if it's not a country...

It's my OCD / slightly autistic brain kicking in, trying to make sense of it all.

Also, according to wikipedia, UK is a sovereign country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain,[note 1][19] is a sovereign country in north-western Europe, off the north-­western coast of the European mainland.[20][21] The UK consists of three countries: England, Scotland, Wales and the province of Northern Ireland.[22][23]

Edited by Waldo

Oh heck. Now I'm really confused. I think you ought to just put your feet up and open a bottle of wine. If anyone asks where you're from just say 'earth'.

49 minutes ago, Waldo said:

How is a sovereign state different to a country? I would have thought a country, by it's very nature, is a sovereign state. Just trying to understand the difference...

I'm also thinking of all those drop-down menu's you get on web-forms online. Where you have to select your country, and often 'United Country' is listed as a country. But, if it's not a country...

It's my OCD / slightly autistic brain kicking in, trying to make sense of it all.

Also, according to wikipedia, UK is a sovereign country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain,[note 1][19] is a sovereign country in north-western Europe, off the north-­western coast of the European mainland.[20][21] The UK consists of three countries: England, Scotland, Wales and the province of Northern Ireland.[22][23]

Never seen united country on any drop down boxes, just united kingdom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1