Crookes Road Closures

26 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

Different location, different terrain, different circumstances I know, but undergraduates at Cambridge Uni need a licence to keep a car within 10 miles of the city centre.

https://www.proctors.cam.ac.uk/motor-control#toc-4

That sounds ridiculous.  How is that even enforced? 

21 hours ago, nightrider said:

Introduce permit parking and exclude students from getting permits.

Firstly, introducing a permit parking scheme isn't a simple or straightforward thing.

They do extensive consultation and the  Council have in the past, not been in the business of imposing permit schemes where the residents don't want one (although some on here might tell you different). 

Parking in Crookes isn't  actually that bad compared to other places and I'd expect a lot of people would not want a permit scheme.

The Council's priority for parking schemes has been to close the ring of permit schemes around the city centre, which is only partly in place, but even that is proving quite difficult.

When a scheme is put in, they install waiting restrictions at junctions etc, so undoubtedly some places where people now park, would no longer be available. The overall number of parking spaces would reduce, which some people don't like.

As for students not being eligible for a permit. That has not been seen as being a reasonable position to adopt. As others have said, how would you ever enforce it?

What has happened is that the Council can and do limit the number of permits that households can have within any permit zone. This is done based on the number of spaces available and number of properties within the zone. In most cases every household which applies can usually have a couple of permits, but each application for multiple permits is assessed on its own merits, parking surveys ae done to establish whether there's sufficient space available and the applicant has to explain and justify why the extra permits are needed.

New developments in permit zones can be designated as not being eligible for permits in the planning process, so many of the newer blocks of flats you see in some zones don't get any.  

The way they manage it at the moment seems to work ok for most folk.

18 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

That sounds ridiculous.  How is that even enforced? 

For 'normal' students, the individual Oxford Colleges have very strict rules about bringing your car into the City and enforceable by College fines which if not paid lead to the withdrawal of privileges and ultimately no degree. A student is obliged to register their car with the college again enforceable by College fines.

The Council(using some unique by-laws) and residents can approach the University for help with unauthorised parking by students and the Council are proactive in identifying students who are falsely claiming to be an additional user on their parents insurance when they are clearly the main user. The Police are not normally involved and anyway the 'protected' people like Boris just ignored paying parking tickets. 

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

For 'normal' students, the individual Oxford Colleges have very strict rules about bringing your car into the City and enforceable by College fines which if not paid lead to the withdrawal of privileges and ultimately no degree. A student is obliged to register their car with the college again enforceable by College fines.

The Council(using some unique by-laws) and residents can approach the University for help with unauthorised parking by students and the Council are proactive in identifying students who are falsely claiming to be an additional user on their parents insurance when they are clearly the main user. The Police are not normally involved and anyway the 'protected' people like Boris just ignored paying parking tickets. 

I'm not on about Oxford. I am on about Cambridge, where it says you cant even park a car 10 miles away from Cambridge city centre. 

The village of Comberton is only 6 miles away by road from Cambridge, a couple of miles outside the A11/A14/M11 triangle that surrounds Cambridge,  are they honestly saying a student cant park their car there? Absolutely ludicrous.

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

I'm not on about Oxford. I am on about Cambridge, where it says you cant even park a car 10 miles away from Cambridge city centre. 

The village of Comberton is only 6 miles away by road from Cambridge, a couple of miles outside the A11/A14/M11 triangle that surrounds Cambridge,  are they honestly saying a student cant park their car there? Absolutely ludicrous.

Like Oxford, undergraduates do not bring their cars to Cambridge - it is a requirement of being at College that you agree not to bring your car. Like Oxford, there are 'fines' enforced by the College.

The principle is the same i.e. that the City is is already clogged and the residents have trouble enough. The Colleges do not have parking spaces for undergraduates and public parking is very limited and expensive. 

Exceptions can be given by applying to the College.

On 28/04/2022 at 17:31, AndrewC said:

Expensive compared to what? Cars?

You can buy a very good, brand new, e-Bike for say, £3,000. For less, in fact.

You let me know how far £3,000 goes in the world of cars, and what you get for it. Don't forget the insurance, MOT, petrol at 162p per litre for a year, etc. etc.

It'll be 10 years old, 80k miles on the clock, it'll need expensive work done on it each year, etc. etc.

Far from being the financially prudent option, there's a very good argument that cars are one of the worst financial burdens going. We've designed so much of our cities around the car that it basically forces people to own them, despite the eye-watering costs.

i bought my e-bike 5 years ago, for £1800.

i use it for commuting to work (about 2 days per week), and a few errands, etc.

in 5 years, it's been totally reliable, requiring nothing more than new brake pads - once.

a similarly reliable car would have cost what? £6k? (or more, easily)

the monthly payment for a £6k loan, for 5 years, would be £120/month = £1440 per year.

+ insurance (our small hatchback is £600 /year) = £2000/year

+  MOT = £2050 (assuming no work required)

+ annual service = £2200

+ fuel (5000miles/year : £700?) = £2900/year.

running a cheap, simple, boring car for the 5years i've had my ebike would have cost 5 x 2900 = £14500.

vs £1800 for the ebike

We've normalised spending a huge amount of money on a few years of personal transport within a small city. It's baffling how keenly people cling on to the status quo that is bleeding us dry.

Edited by ads36
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ads36 said:

i bought my e-bike 5 years ago, for £1800.

i use it for commuting to work (about 2 days per week), and a few errands, etc.

in 5 years, it's been totally reliable, requiring nothing more than new brake pads - once.

a similarly reliable car would have cost what? £6k? (or more, easily)

the monthly payment for a £6k loan, for 5 years, would be £120/month = £1440 per year.

+ insurance (our small hatchback is £600 /year) = £2000/year

+  MOT = £2050 (assuming no work required)

+ annual service = £2200

annual service costs of £2200? Either you have a very expensive car and are taking to a main dealer, or you have been ripped off there IMO...

Even my minis big service where they did everything was £600, a normal service would be well below that.

Similar how can an MOT be £2050??

I spend more like £700-800 a year on servicing, insurance etc. And I don't pay a monthly lease which is a very expensive way to own a car.

An ebike is fine for short journeys, but many have family living all over the country. So an e-bike would be an extra cost, not a substitute cost.

5 minutes ago, nightrider said:

I spend more like £700-800 a year on servicing, insurance etc. And I don't pay a monthly lease which is a very expensive way to own a car.

with no significant savings (we've recently moved house!), a loan is the only way i/we could afford to buy a car.

if you buy a car with cash, then you've got to replenish those savings, almost certainly with a monthly transfer - the sums are more or less the same.

An ebike is fine for short journeys, but many have family living all over the country. So an e-bike would be an extra cost, not a substitute cost.

we have 1 car, my ebike replaced our 2nd car. I think this would work for lots of families.

Similar how can an MOT be £2050??

i was hoping to show the running total....

Edited by ads36

On 20/04/2022 at 16:35, Planner1 said:

Do you think that telling people they need to “wake up” etc makes your argument sound more convincing?

If its not convincing enough, then you telling people to buy e-bikes really does sum up how out of touch with reality you are.

On 03/05/2022 at 11:58, ads36 said:

we have 1 car, my ebike replaced our 2nd car. I think this would work for lots of families.

LOL. Yeh, I'll go to work in my car which is 20 miles away, and the wife takes the kids to school on the ebike. That is the way it is for lots of families. I cant believe the absurd posts on this forum.