Crookes Road Closures

21 hours ago, fools said:

How's your cycling going, got up Granville yet?

i work at (more or less) The lowest point in Sheffield, my route home takes me over Manor Top.

it's really no problem. And i'm an old giffer with a dicky hip.

23 hours ago, Planner1 said:

My cycling is going fine thanks. Granville Rd is no problem, just another incline.

Try the 'incline' with young children in tow.  At Walkley. You need to wake up.

7 minutes ago, itboy said:

Try the 'incline' with young children in tow.  At Walkley. You need to wake up.

I’m no spring chicken, but I’m fit and strong enough to cycle up hills with a child on a bike seat or trailer, or tag-along. So are many other people, you see them in use all the time. As I’ve also said many times on this thread, e-bikes make hills easy. There’s no reason why parents can’t take their children on a bike, even in hillier areas. 

Do you think that telling people they need to “wake up” etc makes your argument sound more convincing?

Guest sibon

Are these road closures going ahead? The planned ones in Brincliffe/Nether Edge have been delayed for further consultation. Does anyone know what is happening in Crookes?

I'm still surprised that people in Crookes want to shut off part of Springvale. Surely if you live in Crookes and want to go to Aldi or Tesco at Infirmary Road, going down Springvale is the shortest, most direct route? 

11 minutes ago, metalman said:

I'm still surprised that people in Crookes want to shut off part of Springvale. Surely if you live in Crookes and want to go to Aldi or Tesco at Infirmary Road, going down Springvale is the shortest, most direct route? 

Springvale Road (currently closed at Commonside) down to Infirmary Road was shut off forty years ago.

For those returning to Crookes via Springvale Road from Infirmary Road there will not be any changes.

For most who live in Crookes, a majority would not use Springvale Road to go to Infirmary Road as there are several other shops locally and nearby.

For most residents there are and easier and faster routes down to Infirmary Road.

Those who live near Springvale Road will benefit from less congestion caused by through traffic.

The old, small and very dated Tesco on Infirmary Road has lost a lot of its Crookes custom to online shopping, Lidl at Malin Bridge, Morrisons at Hillsborough and Sainsbury's at Wadsley Bridge. 

On 27/04/2022 at 12:50, sibon said:

Are these road closures going ahead? The planned ones in Brincliffe/Nether Edge have been delayed for further consultation. Does anyone know what is happening in Crookes?

The green cllrs said its not delayed they're just waiting for contractors to close the roads.pst local people are unhappy as they knew nothing about it or the consultation. 

5 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Springvale Road (currently closed at Commonside) down to Infirmary Road was shut off forty years ago.

For those returning to Crookes via Springvale Road from Infirmary Road there will not be any changes.

For most who live in Crookes, a majority would not use Springvale Road to go to Infirmary Road as there are several other shops locally and nearby.

For most residents there are and easier and faster routes down to Infirmary Road.

The bottom hundred yards or so of Springvale was shut off 40 years ago - but Springvale / Ashberry / Addy St was still the quickest route from Crookes to Infirmary Road when I lived in Sheffield (left 2018).

Edited by Longcol

On 20/04/2022 at 16:35, Planner1 said:

I’m no spring chicken, but I’m fit and strong enough to cycle up hills with a child on a bike seat or trailer, or tag-along. So are many other people, you see them in use all the time. As I’ve also said many times on this thread, e-bikes make hills easy. There’s no reason why parents can’t take their children on a bike, even in hillier areas. 

Do you think that telling people they need to “wake up” etc makes your argument sound more convincing?

Realistically a lot of people can't afford an expensive e-bike though.

On 14/04/2022 at 11:00, Planner1 said:

Well, they are not going to “close half of Crookes” as you put it. They are putting in point closures on certain roads which will cut out through traffic. The roads will still be accessible to motor vehicles.

They actually delivered consultation materials to 7362 properties and got 929 responses. A 12.6% response rate is pretty good for engagement of that type. I’ve seen much lower response rates on others.

From what others are saying, locals have been asking the council for a scheme like this for years. The Council is required by law to consult on proposals like this and from the info in the consultation report on the link I posted, they’ve done everything I’d expect, to reach as many people as possible.

At least from the comments on the Crookes facebook group, support is at the 1% or so level amongst locals.

On 14/04/2022 at 15:12, Planner1 said:

Nothing fake about it. 

This is the way modern consultation and engagement is carried out here and everywhere else in the country.

12% is a good return for any consultation of this nature. I’ve done traditional letter drop questionnaires with a post paid envelope etc and got much lower response levels.

Door knocking and asking people to do a survey is a massive undertaking and costs a lot, face to face is generally avoided nowadays for obvious reasons. Much of the engagement is online. No matter which way you do it, there are always going to be some people who claim they are excluded in some way. You can’t please everyone so really there is no point trying.

Engagements like this are about finding out what and where the problems are and giving decision makers a flavour of local opinion. They aren’t normally ballots.

Like I said earlier, you don’t get something for nothing. To get quieter streets ( which many will contend is a benefit to you) people have to drive a bit further. It’s a trade off. Is it really that big a deal?

How exactly do you think anyone can “tell” students not to bring their cars or to pick one form of transport? Do you not think that they are individuals like you and they have the same rights and choices. Be realistic.

Introduce permit parking and exclude students from getting permits.

1 hour ago, nightrider said:

Realistically a lot of people can't afford an expensive e-bike though.

Expensive compared to what? Cars?

You can buy a very good, brand new, e-Bike for say, £3,000. For less, in fact.

You let me know how far £3,000 goes in the world of cars, and what you get for it. Don't forget the insurance, MOT, petrol at 162p per litre for a year, etc. etc.

It'll be 10 years old, 80k miles on the clock, it'll need expensive work done on it each year, etc. etc.

Far from being the financially prudent option, there's a very good argument that cars are one of the worst financial burdens going. We've designed so much of our cities around the car that it basically forces people to own them, despite the eye-watering costs.

Edited by AndrewC

2 hours ago, nightrider said:

Introduce permit parking and exclude students from getting permits.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 they pay rent for their houses in the same way anyone else pays rent, behave yourself, they have as much right as anyone to get a permit.

What about a HMO with five nurses, are you excluding them too?