Crookes Road Closures

10 hours ago, Resident said:

I have done this on a few occasions, only to get a response a few days later:

"We visited the area and did not witness any contravention"

I'm guessing that the sent Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles given that the contraventions they speak of are persistent all day, everyday. ...

What exactly did you report. Sometimes people think something is a contravention, which actually isn’t something the council can enforce

6 hours ago, LovePotion said:

Surely driving up on the pavement cannot be legal.

It has to be witnessed by the Police officer, so it is seldom enforced.

I occasionally go up to Crookes to have a look round the shops, and I usually park on Springvale if I can. Looks like I won't be going in the future then, same as I rarely go to Broomhill any longer since the imposition of the council's permit parking zone.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, metalman said:

I occasionally go up to Crookes to have a look round the shops, and I usually park on Springvale if I can. Looks like I won't be going in the future then, same as I rarely go to Broomhill any longer since the imposition of the council's permit parking zone.

The scheme  is not the catastrophic end of personal freedoms that some people want us to believe. No 'permit parking zones' are being introduced in Crookes. There is some tweaking  of the Crookesmoor section of the Broomhill ' permit parking zone' which have been there for 10+ years and there is still free parking close to the shops at Broomhill. The Broomhill/Crookesmoor problem is focused on the demand for University and Hospitals parking

There are extensions to some "double yellows" at a few junctions because of idiot car drivers preventing access and blocking crossing points. Springvale Road will become one way on a small section.

12 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The scheme  is not the catastrophic end of personal freedoms that some people want us to believe. No 'permit parking zones' are being introduced in Crookes. There is some tweaking  of the Crookesmoor section of the Broomhill ' permit parking zone' which have been there for 10+ years and there is still free parking close to the shops at Broomhill. The Broomhill/Crookesmoor problem is focused on the demand for University and Hospitals parking

There are extensions to some "double yellows" at a few junctions because of idiot car drivers preventing access and blocking crossing points. Springvale Road will become one way on a small section.

I didn't claim that a parking permit scheme was being introduced. But I'm sure I read on an earlier page that the top of Springvale was being closed off, and with a load of other roads being restricted too, that means that parking will get more difficult than it already is. And if the point of the thing is to reduce traffic, then I'm happy to stay away in future and keep my pound in my pocket. When is it all meant to start anyway - I seem to have missed that bit?

1 hour ago, metalman said:

I didn't claim that a parking permit scheme was being introduced. But I'm sure I read on an earlier page that the top of Springvale was being closed off, and with a load of other roads being restricted too, that means that parking will get more difficult than it already is. And if the point of the thing is to reduce traffic, then I'm happy to stay away in future and keep my pound in my pocket. When is it all meant to start anyway - I seem to have missed that bit?

Top of Springvale is being closed, at Western Road. 25th April.

On 15/04/2022 at 02:15, Annie Bynnol said:

As an "incomer" to Crookes I have seen over the decades the changes that have taken place.

A walk along Crookes then and now would illustrate how much Crookes has improved in the quantity and range of businesses.

These businesses have located here to tap into the disposable income of the permanent residents rather than the decreasing number of seasonal students. Is there a suburb in Sheffield which has improved more than Crookes? 

The character and dynamic of a  suburb so close to its City Centre has to change and adapt otherwise decline and loss of amenities result.

One thing that still lingers is 'blaming students'. At a time when the student population in Crookes is declining(their choice) from its peak in the nineties we are lucky that it is being replaced by households with a greater disposable income. Young families in particular are keen to move in as evidenced by the speed house are snapped up.

As for buses, nowhere is further than 400m from a high frequency bus stop and I regularly used walked down hill for a bus to work and down hill from the bus stop home from work. That's Crookes. 

Malin Bridge has not seen a bus from Crookes since the tea time 59 up Lydgate Lane thirty years ago.

As for the age of the population, the number of children and over 65 is the same with four times as many 18-65 year olds. The internet and smartphones are the norm an not the exception amongst the elderly.

It is the popularity of Crookes that is generating an unacceptable traffic problem.

You might be able to walk 400m but some can't,  which you are wilfully ignoring. 

On 14/04/2022 at 15:48, LovePotion said:

Your child will be safer with less cars around the school. With respect, your habits are part of the problem. People driving short distances such as to the local school instead of walking there. Your driving habits are the reason the council has needed to install these measures. 

Woah! Are you genuinely saying being disabled is "a habit"?

1 hour ago, Steel City Sam said:

Woah! Are you genuinely saying being disabled is "a habit"?

She never said that 

20 hours ago, Planner1 said:

What exactly did you report. Sometimes people think something is a contravention, which actually isn’t something the council can enforce

It has to be witnessed by the Police officer, so it is seldom enforced.

Usually cars parked on double yellows, no blue badge etc. Perfectly within their remit to enforce. 

1 hour ago, Steel City Sam said:

Top of Springvale is being closed, at Western Road. 25th April.

You might be able to walk 400m but some can't,  which you are wilfully ignoring. 

If the "top of Springvale is being closed, at Western Road. 25th April" then it has nothing to do with this scheme.

Springvale Road is being made into a one-way street between Melbourn Road and Mona Road.

If I am "willfully ignoring" the needs of disabled it is because I cannot see how this scheme would cause problems as opposed to the benefit of quieter roads.

22 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

If the "top of Springvale is being closed, at Western Road. 25th April" then it has nothing to do with this scheme.

Springvale Road is being made into a one-way street between Melbourn Road and Mona Road.

If I am "willfully ignoring" the needs of disabled it is because I cannot see how this scheme would cause problems as opposed to the benefit of quieter roads.

If Springvale is being made one way, then traffic will use Bradley Street ? School Road ? Mainly School Road which is set to become very busy.  Some roads become quieter, others must become busier, where is the traffic to go ? - the fifth dimension.  Roads are for the swift and efficient movement of goods and people, shifting the problem to other areas is not a solution.

Remember, election time in May, this is your opportunity to express your views.

1 hour ago, Elmambo said:

If Springvale is being made one way, then traffic will use Bradley Street ? School Road ? Mainly School Road which is set to become very busy.  Some roads become quieter, others must become busier, where is the traffic to go ? - the fifth dimension.  Roads are for the swift and efficient movement of goods and people, shifting the problem to other areas is not a solution.

Remember, election time in May, this is your opportunity to express your views.

If people are coming or  going to places on or near School Road they will continue to do so.

They will benefit from not having to deal with traffic using their residential streets as rat runs and obliging the rat runners  to stick to the designated roads for through traffic.

Remember you have the opportunity to help reduce the problem caused by traffic in Crookes by commenting on the temporary restriction once they have been implemented. At least somebody is trying.

20 hours ago, Elmambo said:

Roads are for the swift and efficient movement of goods and people, shifting the problem to other areas is not a solution.

And people don't always have to use motorised transport. That's the idea of the scheme, to make the area more suitable for walking and cycling. If people do switch to those modes for some of their trips, there will be less traffic overall, so less problems.

Edited by Planner1