Crookes Road Closures

1 hour ago, poolgod78 said:

I’m disabled and live in crookes.

fwiw, i think we've met once or twice...

just saying.

Edited by ads36

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Why do you keep saying filtered - they’re closed.

Closed the vehicular traffic, but they leave gaps for pedestrians and cyclists, ie filtering out motor vehicles, so not a bad description really.

54 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

What about the hinderance to disabled people and people in pushchairs caused by vehicles parking on the pavement? This scheme would ease that issue surely. There are many benefits. I do think they need to install more compulsory stopping crossings that turn the lights red on Crookes though, as the concentrated traffic flow could make crossing the road there even more difficult. We have to be careful that Crookes businesses don't suffer the dual carriage way effect of people being off put by such a busy road. Perhaps Crookes could become a bus & taxi gate at peak times, like Langsett Road has.

I very much doubt that this scheme will address pavement parking issues.

I think you are perhaps over estimating the amount of difference to traffic levels on the main roads that this scheme will bring. I’d suspect you won’t actually notice much, if any difference. It certainly won’t result in severance. 

3 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

In answer to your description of Crookes:

"Crookes is probably the hilliest suburb in Sheffield, it also has virtually no transport links up and down the hills - you have to go via Malin Bridge or town.  Additionally, it supports a large elderly (and largely silent/non internet savvy) population.  Where then is the logic in choosing this area to implement this scheme, allegedly to encourage cycling and walking ???  Could it be that they realised that when conducting the fake survey, they would achieve their desired aim because the large part-time student population, coupled with the small, but vociferous minority of "incomers" (who think they live in a village) would be a natural fit for the support of it ?  

What of the residents of what will affectively become the ring roads - School Road, Crookesmoor Road, ect.  They will have to cope with much additional traffic and increased pollution levels. What steps are being taken to prevent  this ?

What measures have been put in place to clear pavements and roads in winter to allow for the increase in walkers and cyclists ?

Are extra defibrillators to be positioned on strategic hilltops ?"

Crookes is a hill.

52, 52a, 95, 10?

Your Crookes is unrecognizable and insulting to the residents.

It is the "large part-time (sic) student population" that has kept Crookes alive and thriving.

It is the "vociferous minority of "incomers" (who think they live in a village)" who bring in the extra  wealth that has enabled  Crookes to evolve successfully is evidenced by the number and types of commercial premises. 

A large elderly population does not mean a " largely silent/non internet savvy" people - how rude.

Crookes is both a road and a suburb.

52, goes via Malin Bridge or to town.  95, is a Walkley route 10, is so infrequent as to be out of consideration - as I said no buses go up or down any of the hills except to town or Malin Bridge - if I'm wrong show me where.

Do you actually live in Crookes ??  In the many years that I have lived here it has always been alive and thriving, it's the students that have created the problems. If there were not so many houses in multiple occupation, then there would be many more families and Crookes would thrive even more - most students live here for little more than six months of the year.  What you are saying is nonsense.

So, the "incomers" have provided the wealth that has enabled Crookes to evolve, never realised that, the evidence is where ?  Certainly some businesses have opened to cater for a student population, if the population were rebalanced other ones would by created to cater for this. - that's the way it works.

Statistically,  internet usage among the elderly is much less than among the younger generation, it's a well proven fact, why are you denying this ?  As for being silent, they date back to a time when Councils could be trusted and probably have a touching faith in them.

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The problems that people perceive relate to through traffic using residential streets.

People think that through traffic shouldn’t use these streets. They think that the traffic brings safety problems, causes noise and pollution, goes too fast etc, which all affects their enjoyment and use of their streets. Many people claim they don’t walk or cycle because it’s too difficult or dangerous due to the traffic. Many don’t let their children walk or cycle or play in the street for the same reasons.

Through traffic is seen as a blight on residential areas and many folk want to see it reduced or eliminated as far as possible.

Some people who live in the same streets will perceive that this is all part of modern life and isn’t any problem at all.

The decision makers nationally and locally across the country are steering us towards getting more and more people out of their cars, to walk and cycle. It’s the thrust of a lot of government funding. It fits several agendas including carbon reduction, health, obesity etc. It’s been done successfully elsewhere, so there’s no real reason it shouldn’t happen here.

"People perceive,  people think, many people claim, decision makers nationally and locally" I wish I was gifted with your God-like powers to divine all this.  People like your self with this mindset are the problem, too obsessed with their own self importance to know the difference between democracy and autocracy. Councils are elected to observe the will of the majority electorate, not to steer us, fit us into agendas or get us out of our cars.

How about you give us a demonstration of wonderous benefits of these "agendas" by say, cycling up the length of Springvale Road in the teeth of a howling winter gale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LovePotion said:

What about the hinderance to disabled people and people in pushchairs caused by vehicles parking on the pavement? This scheme would ease that issue surely. There are many benefits. I do think they need to install more compulsory stopping crossings that turn the lights red on Crookes though, as the concentrated traffic flow could make crossing the road there even more difficult. We have to be careful that Crookes businesses don't suffer the dual carriage way effect of people being off put by such a busy road. Perhaps Crookes could become a bus & taxi gate at peak times, like Langsett Road has.

Yes, parking on the pavement is a nuisance and sometimes dangerous, but it is already an offence with which the police (not the council) can deal with, the problems is they don't bother. We don't need a traffic scheme or anything else, just enforcement.  The other hindrance and danger to the disable/ pushchairs/etc is the plethora of tables chairs and other junk, mainly from cafes, that litter the pavement, an accident waiting to happen. why is it allowed.

47 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

I've reported pavement parking to the police before, they just can't be bothered, they are too busy messing around on social media. It needs dedicated council Enforcment Officers like the city centre has, as bad parking is also an issue in the suburbs, believe it or not Sheffield City council!

What is it you don’t understand about the council not being able to enforce obstruction. Only the police can do it, the council do not have those powers. 

The council do enforce outside the city centre where here are restrictions they can issue penalties on. If you are seeing contraventions of restrictions, tell parking services where and when it happens and they will pay a visit.

1 hour ago, Elmambo said:

"People perceive,  people think, many people claim, decision makers nationally and locally" I wish I was gifted with your God-like powers to divine all this.  People like your self with this mindset are the problem, too obsessed with their own self importance to know the difference between democracy and autocracy. Councils are elected to observe the will of the majority electorate, not to steer us, fit us into agendas or get us out of our cars.

How about you give us a demonstration of wonderous benefits of these "agendas" by say, cycling up the length of Springvale Road in the teeth of a howling winter gale.

Nothing God like about it. I get my insight and understanding from over 40 years spent dealing with issues like this on a daily basis, the majority of that time was in Sheffield, where I listened to and responded to enquiries, requests and complaints about the very issues we are discussing here. I’ve dealt with people from every area of Sheffield including many from Crookes, I’ve led and taken part in many public engagements. 

So, nothing Devine about it, just honest and open dialogue with people about the daily problems they face and what can or can’t be done about it.

Life doesn’t  work on the wishes of the majority all the time. You can’t have a ballot about everything. You elect representatives at national and local level and you do that based on the manifestos they set out. These elected representatives have very difficult decisions to make because most of them won’t please everyone.

7 hours ago, Elmambo said:

Crookes is both a road and a suburb.

52, goes via Malin Bridge or to town.  95, is a Walkley route 10, is so infrequent as to be out of consideration - as I said no buses go up or down any of the hills except to town or Malin Bridge - if I'm wrong show me where.

Do you actually live in Crookes ??  In the many years that I have lived here it has always been alive and thriving, it's the students that have created the problems. If there were not so many houses in multiple occupation, then there would be many more families and Crookes would thrive even more - most students live here for little more than six months of the year.  What you are saying is nonsense.

So, the "incomers" have provided the wealth that has enabled Crookes to evolve, never realised that, the evidence is where ?  Certainly some businesses have opened to cater for a student population, if the population were rebalanced other ones would by created to cater for this. - that's the way it works.

Statistically,  internet usage among the elderly is much less than among the younger generation, it's a well proven fact, why are you denying this ?  As for being silent, they date back to a time when Councils could be trusted and probably have a touching faith in them.

As an "incomer" to Crookes I have seen over the decades the changes that have taken place.

A walk along Crookes then and now would illustrate how much Crookes has improved in the quantity and range of businesses.

These businesses have located here to tap into the disposable income of the permanent residents rather than the decreasing number of seasonal students. Is there a suburb in Sheffield which has improved more than Crookes? 

The character and dynamic of a  suburb so close to its City Centre has to change and adapt otherwise decline and loss of amenities result.

One thing that still lingers is 'blaming students'. At a time when the student population in Crookes is declining(their choice) from its peak in the nineties we are lucky that it is being replaced by households with a greater disposable income. Young families in particular are keen to move in as evidenced by the speed house are snapped up.

As for buses, nowhere is further than 400m from a high frequency bus stop and I regularly used walked down hill for a bus to work and down hill from the bus stop home from work. That's Crookes. 

Malin Bridge has not seen a bus from Crookes since the tea time 59 up Lydgate Lane thirty years ago.

As for the age of the population, the number of children and over 65 is the same with four times as many 18-65 year olds. The internet and smartphones are the norm an not the exception amongst the elderly.

It is the popularity of Crookes that is generating an unacceptable traffic problem.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Planner1 said:

What is it you don’t understand about the council not being able to enforce obstruction. Only the police can do it, the council do not have those powers. 

The council do enforce outside the city centre where here are restrictions they can issue penalties on. If you are seeing contraventions of restrictions, tell parking services where and when it happens and they will pay a visit.

I have done this on a few occasions, only to get a response a few days later:

"We visited the area and did not witness any contravention"

I'm guessing that the sent Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles given that the contraventions they speak of are persistent all day, everyday. ...

• Like 1

Parking on the pavement is not actually an offence in most cases as far as I know. 

1 hour ago, LovePotion said:

Surely driving up on the pavement cannot be legal.

It's currently only illegal in London.  If you don't merely park, but completely block the pavement, then it could be argued that that's obstructing the highway, which is a criminal offence.