Crookes Road Closures

3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Sounds like every property in the area received a postcard with details, so I find the contention that you didn’t realise it was happening a little difficult to 

Did you receive one?

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

One way is making neighbourhoods more people and active travel friendly, so more people will feel able to walk and cycle, particularly for shorter journeys. That is exactly why this scheme is happening.

thumbs up from me!

(until recently i lived in Crookes - had done for ... crumbs ... at least 20 years! - we left just before the consultation)

Edited by ads36

1 minute ago, Steel City Sam said:

Did you receive one?

No, but I don’t live there.

4 minutes ago, ads36 said:

*slightly* longer, on roads that are already congested, and will only become more so - If we do nothing.

How do you suggest we reduce vehicle use?

Better, cheaper, more frequent public transport covering a greater network. 

2 minutes ago, Steel City Sam said:

The government just said "No" to any of that.

people are worried about making traffic worse. which is understandable.

But the kind of nightmare traffic chaos (!!) that is being predicted is *definitely* going to happen if we carry on prioritising car-use. that's not an opinion, it's just counting.

we have to do _something_ to nudge people into re-thinking car-use for short journeys. Filters are cheap, they work, and you can still drive if you need to. No-one will be left stranded. Emergency vehicles will still have access - better access if anything, they won't be competing with traffic on narrow streets.

Edited by ads36

6 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

No, but I don’t live there.

So you can have a go at rolling J for not living there and "understanding the problems" but that doesn't apply to you?

• Like 1

Just now, Steel City Sam said:

Sheffield already has the cheapest public transport outside London.

Public transport is massively expensive to provide and many people won’t even use it if it is free. There are examples around the world which prove this.

When fares were very cheap here back in the 80’s ridership was already declining. 

Transport for London are losing massive amounts of money supporting their public transport network and need constant handouts from government to keep going. 

Offering similar levels of service and fares here is simply not financially viable.

4 minutes ago, ads36 said:

The government just said "No" to any of that.

I thought SYT set the travel agenda. Is that not the case?

I would also suggest residents parking scheme as a large proportion of the parking /traffic issues is down to University/hospitals.

12 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

One way is making neighbourhoods more people and active travel friendly, so more people will feel able to walk and cycle, particularly for shorter journeys. That is exactly why this scheme is happening.

What about those who can't walk and cycle? Are they cast aside?

2 minutes ago, Steel City Sam said:

So you can have a go at rolling J for not living there and "understanding the problems" but that doesn't apply to you?

I’m not condemning the council from a position of not understanding the area and issues, am I?

I do live fairly close by, use the area regularly and know and understand the problems better than most from long experience with the council.

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Sheffield already has the cheapest public transport outside London.

Public transport is massively expensive to provide and many people won’t even use it if it is free. There are examples around the world which prove this.

When fares were very cheap here back in the 80’s ridership was already declining. 

Transport for London are losing massive amounts of money supporting their public transport network and need constant handouts from government to keep going. 

Offering similar levels of service and fares here is simply not financially viable.

Thanks for a good explanation. 

4 minutes ago, Steel City Sam said:

I thought SYT set the travel agenda. Is that not the case?

i don't want to leap straight into blaming Thatcher, but she did stop local councils from running buses. The Government just refused to reverse that.

4 minutes ago, Steel City Sam said:

I would also suggest residents parking scheme as a large proportion of the parking /traffic issues is down to University/hospitals.

i'm inclined to agree... but parking schemes are another thorny issue...

Edited by ads36
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steel City Sam said:

What about those who can't walk and cycle? Are they cast aside?

There’s already a permit scheme in Crookesmoor, from memory, the Council thought about spreading that one wider, but locals didn’t want it. That may have changed over the intervening years, but the council will have higher priority areas closer to city centre.

No one is “cast aside”. Vehicular access is maintained to all the streets, so no-one is excluded.