Crookes Road Closures

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Sounds like a brilliant idea - NOT. I don't know the area that well, but I know it well enough to foresee a hell of a load of problems, which of course SCC didn't - in their 'modelling'.

So, you don’t know the area and don’t understand it’s problems, but you’ll condemn the Council anyway?

Would you not think that the Council have done plenty of similar schemes over the years, and they do actually listen to what local people tell them about problems in the area, so actually, they understand the potential impacts pretty well. But, they are proposing to do the closures on 6 month experimental orders, which gives time for any unforeseen issues to materialise and solutions to be brought forward.

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

So, you don’t know the area and don’t understand it’s problems, but you’ll condemn the Council anyway?

Would you not think that the Council have done plenty of similar schemes over the years, and they do actually listen to what local people tell them about problems in the area, so actually, they understand the potential impacts pretty well. But, they are proposing to do the closures on 6 month experimental orders, which gives time for any unforeseen issues to materialise and solutions to be brought forward.

I don't know the area as well as I used to - been a few years since I visited on a regular basis, and I accept that things will have changed, BUT I do know that cramming more traffic onto the unaffected roads/streets will cause more problems, or just move them to other roads/streets. Maybe we should just ban all motorised traffic from all roads, everywhere?

I know SCC and other councils have done plenty of 'similar' schemes, some of which work, some of which don't. The 'covid closures' of certain city-centre roads - supposedly temporary, now seemingly permanent - are a reasonably good example of the latter, but not relevant to this discussion.

2 hours ago, Steel City Sam said:

I don't know if people know but the council in their wisdom have decided to close half of Crookes off to traffic. Initially for a six month "consultation", but we all know that is just a tick box exercise before they are forced through.

This is supposedly on the back of a survey done last year where 900 people out of an area population  of 17,000 responded, and of those 900 only 300 were enthusiastic.  Of those 900 80%declared their main method of travel was walking - hardly an unbiased sample group!

Well, they are not going to “close half of Crookes” as you put it. They are putting in point closures on certain roads which will cut out through traffic. The roads will still be accessible to motor vehicles.

They actually delivered consultation materials to 7362 properties and got 929 responses. A 12.6% response rate is pretty good for engagement of that type. I’ve seen much lower response rates on others.

From what others are saying, locals have been asking the council for a scheme like this for years. The Council is required by law to consult on proposals like this and from the info in the consultation report on the link I posted, they’ve done everything I’d expect, to reach as many people as possible.

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

sounds great!

there are already a few filtered roads in Crookes, literally no-one is campaigning to re-open them.

Like where please?

7 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Well, they are not going to “close half of Crookes” as you put it. They are putting in point closures on certain roads which will cut out through traffic. The roads will still be accessible to motor vehicles.

They actually delivered consultation materials to 7362 properties and got 929 responses. A 12.6% response rate is pretty good for engagement of that type. I’ve seen much lower response rates on others.

From what others are saying, locals have been asking the council for a scheme like this for years. The Council is required by law to consult on proposals like this and from the info in the consultation report on the link I posted, they’ve done everything I’d expect, to reach as many people as possible.

I'm a local and I haven't been asking, nor have my neighbours.  Most didn't realise it was happening.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I don't know the area as well as I used to - been a few years since I visited on a regular basis, and I accept that things will have changed, BUT I do know that cramming more traffic onto the unaffected roads/streets will cause more problems, or just move them to other roads/streets. Maybe we should just ban all motorised traffic from all roads, everywhere?

I know SCC and other councils have done plenty of 'similar' schemes, some of which work, some of which don't. The 'covid closures' of certain city-centre roads - supposedly temporary, now seemingly permanent - are a reasonably good example of the latter, but not relevant to this discussion.

Yes of course removing through traffic from some roads means more traffic on other roads, but the numbers of vehicles aren’t that big and there’s usually a variety of alternatives, so not everyone will use the same routes.

There’s increasing recognition of the detrimental effects of road traffic, particularly in residential areas, so you can expect more and more schemes like this.

Yes, that reduces route choice and directs traffic onto the identified through routes. That might mean your your trip is a bit longer and takes a little more time. Is that really such a big deal?

8 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Not closing half of Crookes? How does some one reliant on motor transport travel from say townend street to st Vincents? By going a longer journey on more congested roads.

• Like 1

Like where please?

Pickmere Rd.

Newent Lane

Mulehouse

Duncan road

Nairn St.

and that's just a few of them.

Edited by ads36

6 minutes ago, Steel City Sam said:

I'm a local and I haven't been asking, nor have my neighbours.  Most didn't realise it was happening.

Sounds like every property in the area received a postcard with details, so I find the contention that you didn’t realise it was happening a little difficult to understand.

3 minutes ago, Steel City Sam said:

By going a longer journey on more congested roads.

*slightly* longer, on roads that are already congested, and will only become more so - If we do nothing.

How do you suggest we reduce vehicle use?

Edited by ads36

1 minute ago, Steel City Sam said:

Not closing half of Crookes? How does some one reliant on motor transport travel from say townend street to st Vincents? By going a longer journey on more congested roads.

How many actually make such a journey on a daily basis?

Yes, they will need to go a bit further and more traffic will be on the main routes. As they say, you don’t get owt for nowt these days.

2 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Pickmere Rd.

Newent Lane

Mulehouse

Duncan road

Nairn St.

and that's just a few of them.

In what way have they been filtered or closed?  Genuine question. The only I see is when the end of pick mere was shut in the nineties.

1 minute ago, ads36 said:

*slightly* longer, on roads that are already congested, and will only become more so. If we do nothing.

How do you suggest we reduce vehicle use?

One way is making neighbourhoods more people and active travel friendly, so more people will feel able to walk and cycle, particularly for shorter journeys. That is exactly why this scheme is happening.