Crookes Road Closures

I don't know if people know but the council in their wisdom have decided to close half of Crookes off to traffic. Initially for a six month "consultation", but we all know that is just a tick box exercise before they are forced through.

This is supposedly on the back of a survey done last year where 900 people out of an area population  of 17,000 responded, and of those 900 only 300 were enthusiastic.  Of those 900 80%declared their main method of travel was walking - hardly an unbiased sample group!

For those who don't know the closures are: Slinn street both ends, Springvale Road at the top end,  Cobden View Road and Western Road at Springvale Road, bottom of Highton Road, no exit from either end of Greenhow Street, and Fir Street, Matlock Street and Joshua Street closed at the top. Mona Avenue to become  one way and closed at school drop off points.

The aim of this is the first stage is apparently to get everyone cycling and walking in an area which is like the alps! It completely ignores the difficulties faced y the elderly and disabled,  and does not consider the knock on effects for carers,  bin lorries, delivery drivers, emergency services and businesses in the area. The Princess Royal and Cobden View pubs are both extremely concerned they will go under. Heavy gate Road will niw become a high speed rat run, and Crookes, Northfield Road, South Road through to Commonside,  School Road and Crookesmoor Road will be bedlam.

Please help to reverse this ill thought out scheme and register your views on connecting Sheffield website.

Guest makapaka
7 minutes ago, Steel City Sam said:

I don't know if people know but the council in their wisdom have decided to close half of Crookes off to traffic. Initially for a six month "consultation", but we all know that is just a tick box exercise before they are forced through.

This is supposedly on the back of a survey done last year where 900 people out of an area population  of 17,000 responded, and of those 900 only 300 were enthusiastic.  Of those 900 80%declared their main method of travel was walking - hardly an unbiased sample group!

For those who don't know the closures are: Slinn street both ends, Springvale Road at the top end,  Cobden View Road and Western Road at Springvale Road, bottom of Highton Road, no exit from either end of Greenhow Street, and Fir Street, Matlock Street and Joshua Street closed at the top. Mona Avenue to become  one way and closed at school drop off points.

The aim of this is the first stage is apparently to get everyone cycling and walking in an area which is like the alps! It completely ignores the difficulties faced y the elderly and disabled,  and does not consider the knock on effects for carers,  bin lorries, delivery drivers, emergency services and businesses in the area. The Princess Royal and Cobden View pubs are both extremely concerned they will go under. Heavy gate Road will niw become a high speed rat run, and Crookes, Northfield Road, South Road through to Commonside,  School Road and Crookesmoor Road will be bedlam.

Please help to reverse this ill thought out scheme and register your views on connecting Sheffield website.

Totally agree - absolutely stupid idea. 

All places I have been I have seen a form of social programming by government and media to brainwash people to believe all sorts of nonsense.

UK is only place I have lived where bogus phoney referendums and surveys are used to kick through sickening changes.

They should just close that road without hiding behind lies and fake research. Looking at a deeper level of what is happening here in politics even when just closing a road uses excuses like this survey and this is accepted as the standard and way of making decisions I see little difference in politics here vs places like russia where government rules.

• Like 1

sounds great!

there are already a few filtered roads in Crookes, literally no-one is campaigning to re-open them.

Edited by ads36

Sounds like a brilliant idea - NOT. I don't know the area that well, but I know it well enough to foresee a hell of a load of problems, which of course SCC didn't - in their 'modelling'.

Nairn Street.

Elgin St.

Pickmere Rd.

Eyam Rd.

Newent Lane.

Mulehouse Rd.

etc. I could go on...

all of them already filtered. no-one even notices.

give it 5 years, this will be the same.

At last, residents have campaigned for years to reduce the impact of cars on safety, amenity, access and health.

Remember that you can now legally (with a council licence)  place planters on verges to prevent vehicles parking/driving on them. 

1 hour ago, Steel City Sam said:

For those who don't know the closures are:

When you say 'close the road', do you actually mean filters that will stop through traffic, one-way streets, etc.? Or actual pedestrianisation?

You say Slinn Street and Greenhow Street are 'closed both ends'. What do you mean?

Can you post a link to the consultation?

This is the Traffic Order  -a 29 page .pdf file.

Most of the maps illustrate the purpose of the plan which is to:

reduce through traffic using side roads as rat runs.

remove cars from parking on road junctions by extending restrictions.

prevent traffic from blocking the area around Westways Primary 

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Details of the Crookes Active Neighbourhood scheme are here