Joseph Pickering Cardboard Box Company

hi just wondering if anybody on here worked at joseph pickerings between 1968 and 1973 i worked on the 3rd floor initially on the guillotine then setting the presses before leaving in 73 brian cocker was the boss and met my future wife there june mennell in 1972

You must know Monica ,she was there at least 40 yrs.

I knew Chris Pickering well, he was a top guy, I say “knew” and “was” because it was a long time ago, I truly hope that he’s still with us. 👍

yeah remember monica and chris pickering main management when i was there were mr adams and mr bott worked on same floor as mary walker mary peart steve else and ronnie dransfield

revill stimpson was the other part of the management team chris pickering had a brother that worked there as well cant remember his name but he had a pancho moustache 

Ken,

Do you remember their Mr Foers - he was their company salesman who came regularly to Monogram - nice guy and in the mid 60's would have been in his mid 50's I think - always a gentleman, dressed well and wore a trilby hat

Regards - Victor

I worked there I started late 1971

I too worked on top floor Chris Pickering was foreman/gaffer

I too worked on the  guillotine I think they had just moved it to near the paper store

when I started. I remember a guy called Steve who operated  the guillotine

on the middle floor he cut the cardboard. I think the middle floor manager was called Mr Love, I also remember the guy in the basement who operated the waste baler cant remember his name.

on the guillotine I operated I cut the paper you turned a big wheel under the deck which moved the back to determine the size then you put your foot on the peddle  that brought the clamp down then pulled a lever up to bring the blade down.

I also remember Mr Adams assisting to change the blade they were heavy 

I also remember Cliff Godley the fitter/repair man.

Some more from the previous topic regarding Pickering's on SF.

Pickerings Cardboard Boxes - Sheffield History & Expats - Sheffield Forum

And an excellent history of the firm here.

The Joseph Pickering & Sons story | Blanco and Bull 

Two of my sisters worked there but it would be late 70's 80's ?

Keep safe 8) .

Did someone calld Eric Boot drive the van around 1965/66?

6 hours ago, MICK BADGER said:

I worked there I started late 1971

I too worked on top floor Chris Pickering was foreman/gaffer

I too worked on the  guillotine I think they had just moved it to near the paper store

when I started. I remember a guy called Steve who operated  the guillotine

on the middle floor he cut the cardboard. I think the middle floor manager was called Mr Love, I also remember the guy in the basement who operated the waste baler cant remember his name.

on the guillotine I operated I cut the paper you turned a big wheel under the deck which moved the back to determine the size then you put your foot on the peddle  that brought the clamp down then pulled a lever up to bring the blade down.

I also remember Mr Adams assisting to change the blade they were heavy 

I also remember Cliff Godley the fitter/repair man.

you must have taken over guilotine duties after me mick think i remember you by that time i had taken over from brian cocker setting up the presses mary peart and janet worked on the 2 big machines and liz smith worked on the small one remember cliff with his little oil can lol and the guy in the basement was called tom he did a brilliant alf ippititimus impression you must have known june my future wife we started going out late 72 before i left in 73 for british steel job

Pickerings went in to administration in 2008/9. I was works manager at Arkotes then and we bought the stitched box section as we bought many cartons for our own use.

Some of the staff came with us.Monica/Dianne. Alan Dunwell and a guy from Thailand but cant remember his name.

I knew Chris and Michael Pickering very well. I know Mike died a few years ago and up to about 2010 Chris was still around