Scc Attacks Outdoor Dining Areas In Abbeydale Rd

Surprised that there is not a thread started bout this .... and the way that Sheffield Council are SO anti-business and now want to demolish all the successful outdoor covering areas that helped a lot of hospitality venues thru the Pandemic and brought a continental cafe culture to Abbeydale Road.

How sad that they now want to undo all this progress...  and throw in the extended bus lanes on top of this !!

If the outside areas are part of the public thoroughfare/pavement, they're causing an obstruction and the shop-owners have no right to site them there. But maybe the shop-owners do own the land in question- in which case they probably do have a right to use them for seating etc. (subject to compliance with byelaws etc.)

they need planning permission,otherwise ,some will look good and others like shanty town outlets

• Like 1

Just now, bassett one said:

they need planning permission,otherwise ,some will look good and others like shanty town outlets

Exactly this.

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

Yes , like Spital Hill and Fir Vale 

1 hour ago, GinTreeS7 said:

Surprised that there is not a thread started bout this .... and the way that Sheffield Council are SO anti-business and now want to demolish all the successful outdoor covering areas that helped a lot of hospitality venues thru the Pandemic and brought a continental cafe culture to Abbeydale Road.

How sad that they now want to undo all this progress...  and throw in the extended bus lanes on top of this !!

Where has this been reported? I've been away and not seen anything...

Perhaps they were put there without permission.  The barber shop I go to was fined £100 buy the council for putting chairs outside.  It was after the first lockdown ended. They only have a small shop so people had to queue up and wait outside.They have a lot of elderly customers so they put some chairs outside but the council said they didn't have permission and were blocking part of the pavement.

6 hours ago, Zinger549 said:

Perhaps they were put there without permission.  The barber shop I go to was fined £100 buy the council for putting chairs outside.  It was after the first lockdown ended. They only have a small shop so people had to queue up and wait outside.They have a lot of elderly customers so they put some chairs outside but the council said they didn't have permission and were blocking part of the pavement.

Sadly this seems to reflect the lack of kindness / common sense behind the Council apparatchiks.

'The Rules Must Be Obeyed!' It does them no favours, it will come back to bite them one way or another.

7 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Yes , like Spital Hill and Fir Vale 

I havnt seen anywhere offering outside seating in Page Hall as I visit my parents regularly so maybe you can point out which businesses in page hall are doing this.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GinTreeS7 said:

My understanding is that a venue has been told that their structure, that was constructed and permitted during COVID, does not meet the standards needed to be given permanent permission.

Fair enough.

I also believe that they have been given a 12 month, temporary, extension, during which time they are expected to get planning permission for a more substantial structure.

Not really worth the headline. Is it?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

Sadly this seems to reflect the lack of kindness / common sense behind the Council apparatchiks.

'The Rules Must Be Obeyed!' It does them no favours, it will come back to bite them one way or another.

If the rules aren't enforced the Council/Police/other random authority is accused of turning a blind eye! 

58 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

If the rules aren't enforced the Council/Police/other random authority is accused of turning a blind eye! 

So long as the rules are enforced fairly and universally.

So is that graveyard monstrosity still in place at Shiregreen Cemetery?