11 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Okay, maybe his criticism of Emily Thornberry as Lady Nugee in the HoC was petty; but he joined in the criticism of Diane Abbott which gained a hell of a lot of traction in the media, and on this forum. She was being a hypocrite. To say that her son was merely 'collateral damage' in that misses the point completely. 

Sunak and his wife are a household, just like lots of other couples are regarded households for tax purposes. 

So it would be ok to mention Starmers wife ?

18 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

You may not have a choice of where you pay tax which can reduce your tax burden considerably.

You may not have the £100 000 in savings that you would need to benefit from the Tax Free ISA(you don't pay tax on your first £1000 of interest).

If you have an ISA you are losing money- unlike the Sunaks.

I really was thinking of share/investment ISAs. Many who took up the offer when Nigel Lawson introduced them as PEPs (later ISAs) back in 1986 are now ISA millionaires and are not required to pay any form tax on them whatsoever (except when they die); they've been expanded ever since.

Edited by carosio

9 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

So it would be ok to mention Starmers wife ?

I suppose if she's relevant to Labour Party policy....

Irrespective of reports which suggest the origins of the Sunak's tax arrangements may have come from No 10; doesn't it display a kind of 'otherworldliness' (some say naivette or some say arrogance) on the part of Sunak, that what's come out now would never have come out. 

Why should she or  anyone pay tax on overseas earnings?

21 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Ive asked on the Any Questions thread but got no reply. 

What are the tax rules regarding overseas working

"Can anyone explain the tax rules for uk citizens who live in the uk but work outside the uk and pay tax in the country in which the work is carried out? Are they also liable for UK tax on their earnings from abroad?"

Im just curious.

Edited by Gormenghast

Does she pay tax in the country where she earns her money. If she does then I cannot see why she should pay it again here.

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

When Rishi Sunak was elected a Yorkshire MP  he was a "Green Card" holder which required him to be a permanent resident of the USA and had been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis."

He kept his USA 'Green Card' until last October, that is about 10 years after he registered that his permanent address was in Yorkshire.

Why did he keep his 'Green Card'?

Did he pay tax at a much lower rate in the USA?

Why did he not tell his Yorkshire constituents of his 'permanent' American residence?

My information is that there are very good financial reasons for keeping a US 'Green Card' if you can get hold of one.

Fulbright scholars, visiting students and interns are not permitted a 'Green Card' as they are not entitled to permanent residence. They have Visa which specifically denies them this right. They can work and are required to pay tax on all income and prove it on departure. On arrival in the UK you can use this paperwork to reduce your UK tax.

Maybe this is the bigger story

The rich and powerful like to tell us they've played by the rules. The rules they and their friends made, of course. "I would like to assure the House that I did everything that I told myself I should do, in the interests of fairness and suiting myself".

The history of tax avoidance is ancient.

There has long been a principle that your income should only be taxed once.

Tax payers who can will pay tax in the country where tax is lowest.

Ordinary people who work for the German operators of a UK railway company will pay have to pay UK income tax, NI tax, VAT and pension at about 60%.

Some will 'stretch' what is meant by being contractors and pay far less in taxes.

Top management will receive tax free benefits and locate themselves in a low income tax country eg to a Lichtenstein holding company at 20%.

The directors and major shareholders will have trusts and secrecy in the Cayman Islands and pay no tax just fees of about 20%.

As you can see the Tory view of having a choice is really true!

And the Tory party is in power  because voters really do think that Boris and Rishi want to give them a choice.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

49 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

The tax paid by residents of the UK on their earnings should in total be the same for everybody.

ie if the Tax in India is 15% and the UK rate is 40% then the extra to pay would be the difference ie 25%.

Only one tax threshold should be allowed.

4 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The tax paid by residents of the UK on their earnings should in total be the same for everybody.

ie if the Tax in India is 15% and the UK rate is 40% then the extra to pay would be the difference ie 25%.

Only one tax threshold should be allowed.

Is that laid down in UK tax law or just your opinion?

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Sunaks wife is not a politician 

No...she's exploited her entitled position as the Chancellor's wife.

Entitlement, privilege, arrogance.