Banning Cyclists From Using Mobile Phones

On 13/04/2022 at 14:40, Cody's Granddad said:

Kim Briggs was killed by an 18 year old being stupid on a mountain bike.

This is another argument as most cyclists are law abiding.

I do agree that the cycle paths combined with pedestrians are dangerous as in this case and you wouldn't get an argument from me.

Cycle paths should be road side only but maintained and cleaned as most of them are riddled with glass

My bold.

Absolutely not!

The majority do not observe the laws of the road. It's a rarity to see one stop at a red light, indicate their intentions,  stay in their lane, allow faster moving traffic to pass safely etc. 

In my view more needs to be done to keep them in line and make them observe the rules of the road.

What an absolute load of tosh, what evidence do you have  RESIDENT that cyclist complain about being slowed down on pedestrian shared cycle lanes.

Pedestrians are the ones to complain about cyclists going to fast, bit different to what your saying.

I also said cycle lanes should be on roads and car drivers as a rule don't get slowed down by cyclists, if they do then maybe the driver is in the cycle lane.

I get slowed down a lot by cars causing there own traffic jams and when you pass them all they do is moan.

Traffic jams is for traffic not bicycles and impatient drivers ned to learn and understand that cyclists are entitled to road use just as much as they are.

Edited by Cody's Granddad

On 14/04/2022 at 18:14, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

Absolutely not!

The majority do not observe the laws of the road. It's a rarity to see one stop at a red light, indicate their intentions,  stay in their lane, allow faster moving traffic to pass safely etc. 

In my view more needs to be done to keep them in line and make them observe the rules of the road.

You obviously haven't drove at the back of me then.

It's more rare to see a cyclist go through a red light.

I'm not saying all cyclist obey and it is wrong but most do stop.

The problem isn't cyclists getting in the way of motorists it is the motorist not giving the required room when passing.

The law has changed and still this is happening, when are drivers going to realise they are breaking the law when they pass to close to a cyclist.

They probably just don't care, that is until they get prosecuted

Some of our roads are too busy and unsafe for cyclists to share. Anyone with half a brain wouldn’t want to cycle on the route I take on my work commute.  Cyclists are at great risk of serious injury generally on our roads and if they’re using a mobile phone whilst cycling they aren’t in proper control of their conveyance.

49 minutes ago, Cody's Granddad said:

You obviously haven't drove at the back of me then.

It's more rare to see a cyclist go through a red light.

I'm not saying all cyclist obey and it is wrong but most do stop.

The problem isn't cyclists getting in the way of motorists it is the motorist not giving the required room when passing.

The law has changed and still this is happening, when are drivers going to realise they are breaking the law when they pass to close to a cyclist.

They probably just don't care, that is until they get prosecuted

My bold.

I disagree. I think it's both. I've seen drivers who appear to be deliberately making it awkward for cyclists and vice versa. 

The difference is motorists can be easily held accountable where as it's much more difficult to do that with cyclists.

Wouldn’t they  be better with ‘hands free’?…………   (Gets coat) 🙄

On 19/04/2022 at 10:27, Tipstaff said:

Some of our roads are too busy and unsafe for cyclists to share. Anyone with half a brain wouldn’t want to cycle on the route I take on my work commute.  Cyclists are at great risk of serious injury generally on our roads and if they’re using a mobile phone whilst cycling they aren’t in proper control of their conveyance.

What route is that?

On 19/04/2022 at 10:43, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

I disagree. I think it's both. I've seen drivers who appear to be deliberately making it awkward for cyclists and vice versa. 

The difference is motorists can be easily held accountable where as it's much more difficult to do that with cyclists.

Coming up Manchester Road Friday 2 cyclists side by side making it difficult to pass,not the only time it's happened,keeps the traffic behind at 10MPH.

To be honest they make it a pain in the roads.

41 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

Coming up Manchester Road Friday 2 cyclists side by side making it difficult to pass,not the only time it's happened,keeps the traffic behind at 10MPH.

To be honest they make it a pain in the roads.

Probably delayed for how long, 1 minute, 2 minutes. And you'll sit in traffic for hours and hours.

On 19/04/2022 at 10:43, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

The other difference is that cyclists and pedestrians are killed and maimed by motorists.

Bike haters don't need an excuse to hijack a post for their selfish thoughts and attitudes.

Getting back to the grenade of a post, it already said in the article,  "It is not a specific offence to cycle and use a mobile phone or headphones, but cyclists and e-bike riders can be prosecuted by the police for careless and dangerous cycling with maximum fines of £1,000 and £2,500 respectively."

Like stupid drivers you get stupid cyclists, a new law isn't necessary. Its a politician shouting their mouth off as that's what they do.

• Like 3

Delayed a couple of minutes?yes but also the 15 to 20 cars behind me also delayed and probably all the way over towards Rivelin,and that's one instance.