1 hour ago, echo beach said:

There used to be some great characters and banter between the stall holders in the old rag and tag market.  I think the term for the noisy ones was grafters or pitchers. It had a real, almost Dickensian atmosphere.

echo.

Yes it used to be great in there, it had a buzz, was it Edwards who used to have the pottery stall and throw the plates to each other? There was the herbal medicine stall (Wicker herbalists?)  and the big weighing scales you sat on to get weighed in the vaulted ceiling part of the market, then walking out into the open air there was always a Granellis ice cream van parked there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Yes it used to be great in there, it had a buzz, was it Edwards who used to have the pottery stall and throw the plates to each other? There was the herbal medicine stall (Wicker herbalists?)  and the big weighing scales you sat on to get weighed in the vaulted ceiling part of the market, then walking out into the open air there was always a Granellis ice cream van parked there.

Joe (Potty) Edwards, a great entertainer, I knew his son Lance who I believe has been living and working in Benidorm for many years.

Edited by crookesey

21 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

It needs entertainment, A lot of performing Clowns . the Moor the merrier.

we already have the  performing Clowns but they sit in the town hall on rainy days

31 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Joe (Potty) Edwards, a great entertainer, I knew his son Lance who I believe has been living and working in Benidorm for many years.

Any memories of Potty Edwards - Page 3 - Sheffield History & Expats - Sheffield Forum

Edited by Alextopman

1 minute ago, LovePotion said:

Do you purposely argue with everyone who criticises Sheffield City Centre?

This looks like a sensible discussion to me tbh. No arguing here.

I was surprised that my observations were not as bad as I had expected, I can only say what I saw.

14 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

The Moor market is ok in terms of stores, it's just badly sign posted and co-ordinated inside. The Light shopping centre is a massive fail, it is always empty. There is a severe lack of advertisement there. I am not in favour of moving the entire city centre to The Moor. A city should have row upon row of bustling streets. Only small towns have shopping areas compacted like The Moor. Is Sheffield about to lose its city status?

Is that The Light in Sheffield or Leeds you're referring to?

Because if it's the Sheffield one you're referring to, it's not a shopping centre, it's a cinema complex with restaurants around it.

Edited by Mister M
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

Is Sheffield about to lose its city status?

No.

12 hours ago, LovePotion said:

The Moor market is ok in terms of stores, it's just badly sign posted and co-ordinated inside. The Light shopping centre is a massive fail, it is always empty. There is a severe lack of advertisement there. I am not in favour of moving the entire city centre to The Moor. A city should have row upon row of bustling streets. Only small towns have shopping areas compacted like The Moor. Is Sheffield about to lose its city status?

Sheffield CC runs from Lady’s Bridge to the bottom of The Moor. In it’s height it had more cinemas and department stores than you could waive a stick at, I do believe that other city centres have suffered in a similar manner. As long as folk continue to vote for the muppets in the Town Hall It will be The Muppet Show.

15 hours ago, LovePotion said:

Do you purposely argue with everyone who criticises Sheffield City Centre?

No,     he purposely argues with any one who writes about anything or anybody.

Just a troll

52 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

No,     he purposely argues with any one who writes about anything or anybody.

Just a troll

"Anyone who disagrees with me is a troll"

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

Sheffield CC runs from Lady’s Bridge to the bottom of The Moor. In it’s height it had more cinemas and department stores than you could waive a stick at, I do believe that other city centres have suffered in a similar manner. As long as folk continue to vote for the muppets in the Town Hall It will be The Muppet Show.

No matter who you vote for the net result will be the same. Money cant be spirited out of thin air.

3 hours ago, crookesey said:

Hmmm... :huh:

I have to disagree with you there, Mr Crookesey...

... The Muppet Show had many redeeming qualities! ;)