' Atlas' Is There Such An Place In The Attercliffe Area?

I know on Attercliffe Road their is an office block called ' Atlas House' been stood empty for years. I think the Atlas area is more towards Savile Street East. Is this even an area as such or is the name Atlas come from an long demolished steel works on one of road junctions in that area is an drop hammer memorial set back from the road?

Yes. Off Carlisle Street East.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Atlas works was pretty huge at it's peak, it probably accounted for a decent city area in itself.

4 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Yes. Off Carlisle Street East.

Thanks for answering. How big is Atlas area boundaries wise ?

As someone who worked for Firth Browns (the original 'Atlas Works'), I can tell you when I first worked there in 1972 , it stretched from The Wicker to beyond the bridge on Savile Street, and almost the same area on Carlisle Street and side roads off there, so yes it was a massive area, and is why that whole area is now known as 'Atlas', although very little of the original Atlas works remains.

Off Carlisle Street East there is a new industrial area called Atlas or Atlas North . S4 7QQ 

The new industrial area is between Saville Street East/Brightside Lane and Carlisle Street to the south and north and Sutherland Street and Newhall Road to the west and east. The connecting internal road is Atlas Way.

Apart from taking its name from the Atlas Works of yore I don't think that the name has any significance or recognition.

@Annie BynnolEven back in 1972, and probably before, the area was known by many of those working  there as 'Atlas'.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@Annie BynnolEven back in 1972, and probably before, the area was known by many of those working  there as 'Atlas'.

I will certainly bow to your local knowledge.

When I was working down Brightside and Tinsley and passing through the area in the 70's, 80's and 90's we referred to the area as Newhall- which seems to have disappeared.

• Like 1

ATLAS HOUSE on Attercliffe Road was not an office block as such but the laboratories of Firth Brown Ltd, who also owned Atlas Works. I started in the laboratory in 1965. 

Lots of areas have names deriving from local history.

Example: there's nowadays no such road as 'Sheffield Lane' (and hence that road has no Top), yet there's Sheffield Lane Top.

Looks like the photos I have taken of the area will have there caption changed from Attercliffe to Atlas. 

11 hours ago, RollingJ said:

As someone who worked for Firth Browns (the original 'Atlas Works'), I can tell you when I first worked there in 1972 , it stretched from The Wicker to beyond the bridge on Savile Street, and almost the same area on Carlisle Street and side roads off there, so yes it was a massive area, and is why that whole area is now known as 'Atlas', although very little of the original Atlas works remains.

I have seen photos of an underground medical center that some seem to think was part of Firth Brown's works given its location it falls in the Atlas area. The photos show that it was part demolished but still has many medical related items inside. Do you recall such an medical center when you worked there it also claimed more is buried behind it?