Tram Disruptions

On 02/04/2022 at 23:52, LovePotion said:

It wants scrapping if you ask me. Only serves half the city, expensive to operate and slows down buses at traffic lights.

Looks like you won’t get your wish. Government have allocated funding for the necessary renewals of infrastructure and vehicles, see this 

Mass transit systems like the tram are part of the overall public transport offer, they are not intended to serve every part of a city, just the routes that need high capacity.

Of course the tram gets priority at traffic lights. It carries far more people than a bus can.

20 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Looks like you won’t get your wish. Government have allocated funding for the necessary renewals of infrastructure and vehicles, see this 

Mass transit systems like the tram are part of the overall public transport offer, they are not intended to serve every part of a city, just the routes that need high capacity.

Of course the tram gets priority at traffic lights. It carries far more people than a bus can.

Maybe they could use some of that money for proper maintenance 

14 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Erm, the money is basically for renewing all the infrastructure. Which bit of that is it you don’t understand?

You can’t spend money that is given as a grant for capital infrastructure work, on maintenance. That isn’t an activity that  can be funded from capital grants.

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Not maybe it does:

South Yorkshire Settlement

Waverley Station has gone up the list of probable new stations.

11 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Not maybe it does:

South Yorkshire Settlement

Waverley Station has gone up the list of probable new stations.

Don’t think so. The CRSTS settlement has rolled up together a lot of other ongoing funding sources. 

The revenue maintenance funding they mention is the normal annual government funding for highway maintenance in Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster ( Sheffield have already got theirs in the 25 year PFI deal with Amey).

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Erm, the money is basically for renewing all the infrastructure. Which bit of that is it you don’t understand?

You can’t spend money that is given as a grant for capital infrastructure work, on maintenance. That isn’t an activity that  can be funded from capital grants.

Erm , I was being sarcastic. If the had a plan of maintenance we wouldn’t be having trams missing for days 

Oh dear another accident and once again the traveling public get treated with total contempt 

I knew nothing about the accident turned up at middlewood this afternoon - dot matrix said trams not running between Shalesmore and Cathedral but display was saying trams were running every 12 minutes from middlewood. Ha ha 

got home looked on stagecoach web and “service updates “not a mention of any problems although did eventually stumble across a page  under news and blog - silly me for looking at service updates.

don’t have a problem with the fact that there is only the one tram running the shuttle between shalesmore  and middlewood but why can they not provide us with the emergency timetable both on the web and on the dot matrix 

don’t use Twitter so that’s no help

The acid test of any service is how well they respond to problems what a pity stagecoach and the PTE don’t understand the role of communications 

28 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

Oh dear another accident and once again the traveling public get treated with total contempt 

I knew nothing about the accident turned up at middlewood this afternoon - dot matrix said trams not running between Shalesmore and Cathedral but display was saying trams were running every 12 minutes from middlewood. Ha ha 

got home looked on stagecoach web and “service updates “not a mention of any problems although did eventually stumble across a page  under news and blog - silly me for looking at service updates.

don’t have a problem with the fact that there is only the one tram running the shuttle between shalesmore  and middlewood but why can they not provide us with the emergency timetable both on the web and on the dot matrix 

don’t use Twitter so that’s no help

The acid test of any service is how well they respond to problems what a pity stagecoach and the PTE don’t understand the role of communications 

The Dot Matrix is an absolute waste of time and money 

You dont have to "use Twitter" to read the stuff they put out on Twitter, just open a browser up and go to www.twitter.com/scsupertram and read the content, no sign in or app download required. Just think of it as a website to check.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

The Dot Matrix is an absolute waste of time and money 

Indeed I have said so since it’s introduction the PTE are happy because it is sometimes right but they simply fail to understand that the time it is really needed is when things have gone wrong - like now.

can’t even understand why they did not think it a good idea to tell people when the tram between Shalesmoor and middlewood was running it was obviously working to a timetable as there was a 5 minute layover at Middlewood. No announcements and just to add insult it left 3 or 4 minutes ahead of what would have been the expected departure so anyone heading to catch the tram thinking they knew the departure time would see it leave and been faced with a long wait for it to get back again. 

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

You dont have to "use Twitter" to read the stuff they put out on Twitter, just open a browser up and go to www.twitter.com/scsupertram and read the content, no sign in or app download required. Just think of it as a website to check.

Tried that but the box with sign in or register comes up and won’t shift. Just about time to read the message 

Doesnt do that on any browser I use tbh, unless you click on one of the Tweets. Scrolling down you should be able to see them all.

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Doesnt do that on any browser I use tbh, unless you click on one of the Tweets. Scrolling down you should be able to see them all.

My iPad.