Rip The Leadmill?

It would be a real shame if the Leadmill were to close.

Definitely one of those iconic venues that performers and lovers of the live music scene would miss

Remember when we were told Rare and Racy needed to close so that apartments could be built? It closed, but last time I looked there were no apartments.

Just now, Delbow said:

Remember when we were told Rare and Racy needed to close so that apartments could be built? It closed, but last time I looked there were no apartments.

Surely if Rare and Racy were a viable, successful business, missed by thousands, they would have quickly opened up elsewhere, have you got the address of their new premises?

10 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Exactly, the word of one poster on Sheffield Forum who probably hates students, so doesnt want student flats being built. Unless she has done some market research and can show us her findings?

The market for student accommodation in Sheffield has been buoyed by students from China. As Chinese universities become more prestigious, we can expect the numbers to reduce, so it might be unwise to assume the current numbers will remain as they are.

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Surely if Rare and Racy were a viable, successful business, missed by thousands, they would have quickly opened up elsewhere, have you got the address of their new premises?

That wasn't really my point. It was viable in that premises. My point was that businesses do sometimes aquire premises and leave them empty, despite what they tell the planning department.

HeHas... you asked for evidence...

In recent years Sheffield has seen a huge growth in the supply of student housing especially in the City Centre and larger purpose built student accommodation blocks (PBSAs). In addition, there are many traditional shared houses in student areas close to the University, see the map of student areas below. In fact there is a surplus of student accommodation in Sheffield.

This should mean that rents reduce as there is an oversupply but in fact rents seem to rise year and year and the market does not work for students.

https://su.sheffield.ac.uk/advice-and-support/housing/looking-for-housing

Data like this, combined with reports of over-built university towns and tower blocks being ‘flipped’ to residential after being left unfilled, is stoking fears that the student bubble is about to burst. 

While fears of collapse might be overstated, there are clearly ‘saturation’ cities and towns struggling with oversupply.

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/student-housing-time-for-a-reckoning

An explosion in student numbers triggered a property boom in some post-industrial cities but the market is suffering from oversupply

https://www.ft.com/content/770992fc-d3d6-11e9-a0bd-ab8ec6435630

NOT closing!

In a statement issued today, Electric Group, which owns and runs other music venues in London and Bristol and a soon-to-open venue in Newcastle, said: “The Leadmill is not closing.

"Independent music venues operator the Electric Group bought the Leadmill freehold in 2017, which made it the ‘landlord’ for Phil Mills, Leadmill’s leaseholder.

The Leadmill Sheffield: Looking back to beginnings of city's under-threat legendary music venue
“Phil Mills’ tenancy runs until March 2023 after which Electric Group will oversee a substantial investment in the Leadmill – the sort of acclaimed facilities and sonic overhaul the company has already delivered at its venues in South London and Bristol.”

Mike Weller, head of music at Electric Group, said: “There was never any question of us closing the Leadmill, despite all the social media chat.

“The refurb will make the room better equipped to accommodate the modern wants of live music and club nights, for audiences and performers.

Edited by cgksheff

So all this talk of student flats a total nonsense then. Also the initial outcry now looks a bit foolish.

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Anyone able to provide the new address?

On 01/04/2022 at 10:11, HeHasRisen said:

From memory Allen Capes (co-owner) said at the time he didn't want to set up somewhere new.  Rare and Racy was more than just a shop.  The building was part of it's charm and by the time it closed there had been such a fight for so long to keep it open that I wouldn't blame him if he'd just had enough.  I loved that place and still miss it.  (Although my back doesn't miss me accidentally buying and then carrying around stacks of books when I was meant to be going to work).

Lots of us loved R&R and there was such a fight to keep it open but not only were we beaten, it's sat there for several years now.  The only thing that seems to happen is another layer of posters get pasted on top of the last lot.  Along with Syd and Mallorys it was a real loss for Sheffield.

Edited by Maddy

On 01/04/2022 at 12:34, cgksheff said:

NOT closing!

In a statement issued today, Electric Group, which owns and runs other music venues in London and Bristol and a soon-to-open venue in Newcastle, said: “The Leadmill is not closing.

"Independent music venues operator the Electric Group bought the Leadmill freehold in 2017, which made it the ‘landlord’ for Phil Mills, Leadmill’s leaseholder.

The Leadmill Sheffield: Looking back to beginnings of city's under-threat legendary music venue
“Phil Mills’ tenancy runs until March 2023 after which Electric Group will oversee a substantial investment in the Leadmill – the sort of acclaimed facilities and sonic overhaul the company has already delivered at its venues in South London and Bristol.”

Mike Weller, head of music at Electric Group, said: “There was never any question of us closing the Leadmill, despite all the social media chat.

“The refurb will make the room better equipped to accommodate the modern wants of live music and club nights, for audiences and performers.

So if I'm reading that right, EG intend to force out the current tenants, Phil Mills, close the venue for refit/refurb then reopen. Surely if that is the case, as that's how it reads then surely it can't reopen as The Leadmill given that Mr Mills will own the rights to the name through copyright/trademark. It's also a very underhand way of taking over a good business. 

On 31/03/2022 at 20:15, HeHasRisen said:

I assume they are on Companies House, be fairly easy to check that one out.

Two companies;

The Leadmill Ltd - total equity £1.17m

The Leadmill Holdings Ltd - total equity £1.8m

Director of both Phillip Howard Mills

On 01/04/2022 at 09:00, glitterballs said:

Why didn't the leadmill buy the freehold if it was up for sale??

Depends on when it was offered for sale.

I'd imagine their bank balance has taken a beating over the last couple of years, so might not have had the money.