Rip The Leadmill?

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I assume they are on Companies House, be fairly easy to check that one out.

Up to you mate. Makes no difference to me.

Im just saying it'll be a real loss to the city if its to close.

Im far too old and uncool to ever step foot in there again.

7 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

I've never been there or that Corporation place. Not once in all my years of being an adult. I prefer a nice country pub. No loss to me.

Where will the people of Ringinglow and Wyming Brook go clubbing now though? Don't you care?

• Haha 2

Apparently 2 years' rent arrears. I'd be a bit miffed if I was the landlord.

44 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

I've never been there or that Corporation place. Not once in all my years of being an adult. I prefer a nice country pub. No loss to me.

Oh well in that case they should have been closed year's ago!

Edited by Colin Foster

5 minutes ago, Colin Foster said:

Apparently 2 years' rent arrears. I'd be a bit miffed if I was the landlord.

Oh well in that case they should have been closed year's ago!

They are 2 years behind on rent?

They kept that quiet. Link?

Let their fans put their money where their mouths are.

Buy the property/lease.

Someone will have their eyes on the  site for student housing.

Edited by cgksheff

Not more student flats - Sheffield has enough!

Sheffield planners shouldn't let the proposals go through.

10 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Not more student flats - Sheffield has enough!

Sheffield planners shouldn't let the proposals go through.

On what basis? You cant reject a planning proposal "just because". 

Yes, you can.

The argument can be based on of what it is displacing.

Oversupply of one thing (student flats - god knows we have enough) against the loss of a cultural space.

49 minutes ago, cgksheff said:

Let their fans put their money where their mouths are.

Buy the property/lease.

Someone will have their eyes on the  site for student housing.

Was thinking something similar myself. Seems to be quite a regular pattern occurring whenever these sorts of closures are announced......

Lots of nostalgia, wailing, mourning and upset from supposed 'devoted fans' but how many of them were actually going through the door or and putting money in the tills on a regular basis.

How many of the so-called legendary acts and big names have barely mentioned the place as soon as they got big enough to ditch and go follow the bright lights elsewhere.

It's a business at the end of the day. So is a landlord. The Leadmill don't own the premises. If their business is viable they will go and find somewhere else. If they've not been paying their bills then hardly a great surprise they are being asked to leave..

Personally, I don't see it as some great loss. It has a little bit of history but to be honest it was never really the top of my top venues back in the heyday. I felt there was far better in the city.

Let's be frank here, Leisure and entertainment is a fickle industry and always evolving. The tastes and trends and popular joints have moved on. Take a look at Kelham Island, take a look at some of the more 'hipster' venues which are thriving.  Look at the rise of non drinking establishments. The rise in gaming lounges, the rise in late bars, The rise in mixed venues and food courts, The rise in on-site brewerys,  all offering alternative to 'traditional clubs'. Compare those to places popular 10, 20 , 40 years ago. How does the Leadmill footfalls compare, how's it cope with competition, where is its viability? Where is its trade?

Anyone can do some retweeting or posting on  Facebook. But if they're not translating to real-world, consistent and sufficiently paying customers..... it's meaningless.

1 minute ago, Litotes said:

Yes, you can.

The argument can be based on of what it is displacing.

Oversupply of one thing (student flats - god knows we have enough) against the loss of a cultural space.

Who says? 

49 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Who says? 

Exactly, the word of one poster on Sheffield Forum who probably hates students, so doesnt want student flats being built. Unless she has done some market research and can show us her findings?

Landlord is this outfit: https://electric-group.co.uk/

"An independent music company, born and bred in Brixton - Electric Group is an independent, fast growing & privately owned music venues company.  We own and operate some of the UK's most iconic live music and club venues. Formed in 2013, the company has evolved out of the success of our refurbishment and reimagination of the Brixton Fridge as Electric Brixton, now recognised as one of the UK’s leading music venues, hosting world class artists across an eclectic range of genres. In 2017, the company acquired SWX, in Bristol and re-launched the iconic nightclub as a touring standard live music venue and which is now firmly established as the Number 1 music venue serving the South West. In 2015, the Company acquired the Freehold of the O2 Academy Newcastle (operated by Academy Music Group) and in 2017, the Leadmill in Sheffield. We are now preparing a £1.5m refurbishment of the former O2 Academy Newcastle, which will reopen in October 2022 as an independent music and club venue, NX."

25 minutes ago, e3sa934 said:

Landlord is this outfit: https://electric-group.co.uk/

"An independent music company, born and bred in Brixton - Electric Group is an independent, fast growing & privately owned music venues company.  We own and operate some of the UK's most iconic live music and club venues. Formed in 2013, the company has evolved out of the success of our refurbishment and reimagination of the Brixton Fridge as Electric Brixton, now recognised as one of the UK’s leading music venues, hosting world class artists across an eclectic range of genres. In 2017, the company acquired SWX, in Bristol and re-launched the iconic nightclub as a touring standard live music venue and which is now firmly established as the Number 1 music venue serving the South West. In 2015, the Company acquired the Freehold of the O2 Academy Newcastle (operated by Academy Music Group) and in 2017, the Leadmill in Sheffield. We are now preparing a £1.5m refurbishment of the former O2 Academy Newcastle, which will reopen in October 2022 as an independent music and club venue, NX."

Well. There you have it.