Return Of The City Clipper?

2 minutes ago, Andy C said:

Assuming there won't be any stops on Trippet Lane, the only bit of route not served by existing buses or trams is Surrey Street and Leopold Street! Buses such as 56 and 95/95a provide regular services down Brown Street/Paternoster Row past the station.  In my opinion it would have been more sensible to better promote existing services and invest in improving the bus stop environments.

I suspect your assumption is correct - can't see ant need for them, to be honest. Agreed 56/95/95a  go that way, but they are useless unless you are already on those routes. I thought Leopold St/Surrey St. were effectively closed to through traffic?

On 17/04/2022 at 14:42, RollingJ said:

I thought Leopold St/Surrey St. were effectively closed to through traffic?

Yes, at present, but the C/Clipper will turn right from Surrey Street into Leopold Street; the concrete blocks will be removed.

17 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Yes, at present, but the C/Clipper will turn right from Surrey Street into Leopold Street; the concrete blocks will be removed.

So Surrey St. junction will need altering again, as will Leopold St. Thought SCC was cash-strapped, as was the PTE?

11 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

So Surrey St. junction will need altering again, as will Leopold St. Thought SCC was cash-strapped, as was the PTE?

Yes on both!

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1

Wait till the tenders are submitted first. I get the feeling the whole project may end there. This is being proposed by people with little or no transport knowledge  so I bet they are in for a shock.

Will that stop them? 

Councils and the PTE in unison - 🙂 answers on a postcard

14 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Wait till the tenders are submitted first. I get the feeling the whole project may end there. This is being proposed by people with little or no transport knowledge  so I bet they are in for a shock.

Will that stop them? 

Councils and the PTE in unison - 🙂 answers on a postcard

So they haven't even got the tenders in? And I bet the infrastructure work won't be completed on time, either.

Had some Green Party literature posted through the letterbox today.  Apparently the 'City Clipper' is now called the 'Sheffield Connect' & has been running a while now. 

While I've seen a bus stop on Norfolk St, heading up in the direction of the Town Hall, I've never seen an actual bus while walking around town.  The fare though is £1 or free if you've bus pass or proof if taken another bus that day.  Obviously a very limited service. 

8 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Had some Green Party literature posted through the letterbox today.  Apparently the 'City Clipper' is now called the 'Sheffield Connect' & has been running a while now. 

While I've seen a bus stop on Norfolk St, heading up in the direction of the Town Hall, I've never seen an actual bus while walking around town.  The fare though is £1 or free if you've bus pass or proof if taken another bus that day.  Obviously a very limited service. 

There are two white (16 seater, I think) mini buses currently providing the service. I have seen them a couple of times when I've been to the city centre - they have VERY few passengers on them.

There is a timetable and route map available on the TSY site.

Edited by RollingJ

Its also been discussed at length, for months, in other threads.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Its also been discussed at length, for months, in other threads.

It has, that is true.

As an elderly person who can't walk far I need some form of transport in Sheffield city centre. 

I would suggest either a fleet of bicycle rickshaws, or an electric bus similar to those that ferry people around airports and to and from the planes when not near the terminal.  

Sheffield city council is trying to attract people into the city centre, so providing handy transport would seem essential.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

As an elderly person who can't walk far I need some form of transport in Sheffield city centre. 

I would suggest either a fleet of bicycle rickshaws, or an electric bus similar to those that ferry people around airports and to and from the planes when not near the terminal.  

Sheffield city council is trying to attract people into the city centre, so providing handy transport would seem essential.

Yep, bicycle rickshaws would be great - possibly - in summer and there is already a bus network in the city centre, although due to council policy, the routes they can take are severely restricted.