The Shepherds Wheel

Going back a few years I came across a derelict stone structure  not very big at the side was a rusted wheel fairly intact at that time. The building was in the Hillsborough / Neepsend area. I seem to recall going down a non paved road also seeing some brick buildings that were in ruins and an old abandoned caravan opposite were some industrial buildings not sure if they are in use or not.

I had all but forgotten about it until recently when I brought a book on Sheffield's history one of the photos shows a water wheel the caption under the photo called the site ' The Shepherds Wheel ' unfortunately the book was vague about the history it might be a different water wheel to the one I saw years ago.  The structure was down a steep hill and was only just visible from the road. Another thing that interest me is the areas name - Neepsend  is it named after a river or something that was their in the past? 

I am sure the Shepherds Wheel is in Whitely Woods 

3 hours ago, GabrielC said:

Going back a few years I came across a derelict stone structure  not very big at the side was a rusted wheel fairly intact at that time. The building was in the Hillsborough / Neepsend area. I seem to recall going down a non paved road also seeing some brick buildings that were in ruins and an old abandoned caravan opposite were some industrial buildings not sure if they are in use or not.

I had all but forgotten about it until recently when I brought a book on Sheffield's history one of the photos shows a water wheel the caption under the photo called the site ' The Shepherds Wheel ' unfortunately the book was vague about the history it might be a different water wheel to the one I saw years ago.  The structure was down a steep hill and was only just visible from the road. Another thing that interest me is the areas name - Neepsend  is it named after a river or something that was their in the past? 

Hi  GabrielC. hackey lad is correct, 'The Shepherds Wheel' is in Whiteley Woods, and a great tourist attraction!

Not knowing exactly where you saw the rusty wheel, makes just for guess suggestions.

One, was the old rusty undershot  wheel, Malin Bridge Corn Mill, Loxley Rd, Hillsborough. - Thats been done up.

Another, the old works on Club Mill Road, River Don, Neepsend. - it was derelict down there for ages.

At a guess I came across this mill around summer of 2011 it had no roof at that time. I did take a photo but unfortunately seems to have gone missing.

At a guess I came across this mill around summer of 2011 it had no roof at that time. I did take a photo but unfortunately seems to have gone missing.

Is this it?

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/1124-clubmill-road-amp-old-park-silver-rolling-mill/#comment-5733

Yes that's the one only difference from the 2007 photos is the site was much more over grown by the time visited it. Interesting site.

Glad we got it found for you. Heartshome