Preparing For And Surviving Nuclear War

I guess it’s something we don’t want to contemplate is a real possibility. Sticking our heads in the sand, wishful thinking, denial of the possibility etc. But what if it does happen? What if the current situation, or a future one, leads to a nuclear war? How prepared are you?

I’m not prepared at all. It’s such an horrific notion, that I think I’m subconsciously choosing not consider the possibility of nuclear war. I’m not sure that’s wise.

Are you prepared for a nuclear war, to survive a nuclear winter? Do you have a bunker, and supplies of food, water, medical, energy, anything else you’d need to survive? Would you even want to survive (given how messed up everything might be)?

Grizzly topic I know, but interested to hear what everyone thinks.

I dont have a cellar, like when I lived in terraced housing, but I do now have a larger stock of tinned food.

Not sure what would protect us, if an ordinary house was insufficient. I am sure the Doomsday clock is at it closest to midnight for decades.

I cannot see the point of surviving because what will there be left? And what is left will be contaminated.

32 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

I cannot see the point of surviving because what will there be left? And what is left will be contaminated.

Would you not even try to survive in such a situation? If not, would suicide or a slow lingering death be preferable to survival?

I know the question may sound harsh, don’t mean to offend, really contemplating the same thing myself.

I'm not prepared and I don't intend to be. If the bomb drops I hope im one of the 1st to go.

Nice and quick like 👍

23 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I'm not prepared and I don't intend to be. If the bomb drops I hope im one of the 1st to go.

Nice and quick like 👍

If you’re the first one to go, it’s all academic anyway. However, I think you’re maybe dodging the question, what would you do if you did survive, relatively unharmed, and you were thrust in to the chaos of a post nuclear war world?

I think it’s something people just don’t want to consider, but if, god forbid, anyone finds themselves in such a position, what then? Does a person try to survive, sustain themselves, or do they allow themselves a slow death through neglect, or suicide?

I think for most, survival instinct and desire to live would take over.

Edited by Waldo

We live in the shadow of a massive nuclear power station. “Again” for me, because I grew up around here before emigrating in the 90s.

So, much everybody around here (30-miles radius or so) is always to some extent ‘prepared’ for a nuclear accident, with stocks of iodine tablets in cupboards (freely distributed by local council), non-perishable foodstuffs, bug-out bags, etc.

That’s not in the same league as a nuclear strike, of course. But then I grew up in the Cold War era of the 70s-80s in this same region bordering Germany, always expected to be the next major battleground after the Fulda Gap in case of NATO-v-USSR conflict, wherein -again- much everybody was to some extent ‘prepared’ for that contingency. You would be, what with living in the middle of large-scale NATO exercises several times a year (getting to sit inside MBTs and APCs parked outside school was always a favourite 😁).

So, well, we are prepared-ish here in Luxembourg, to the extent that we can in a small bloc of flats. But the plan would be, to the extent possible, to rally the ancestral family home about 110 miles away, which is “atomic-ready”.

If Threads is still accurate almost 40 years later, I think I'd rather die in the initial blast than bother with life afterwards.

Edited by the_bloke

Its a far less risk to take Putin out than the world suffer nuclear war, around the world there are professional people who can do this.

5 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

If Threads is still accurate almost 40 years later, I think I'd rather die in the initial blast than bother with life afterwards.

I watched that a few nights ago.

Probably the 3rd time I've watched it in recent months and if I'm honest that is what helped me form the opinion I'd rather just go in a blaze of glory, or fire. I'd certainly not want to live through a nuclear winter.

However, should I survive the world being put back in the stone age on the plus side some of my clothes would possibly be back in fashion. 

My Pub Landlord has the best idea . He is going to be open all day