Is Sheffield Town Center Getting Worse Or Better ?

14 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Seems to be far too much rose tinted nostalgia to me.

Firstly, I frequent Sainsbury's on a regular basis as I work nearby and don't have to face any 'gauntlet' nor am I constantly surrounded by Spice users.   On the rare occasion, god forbid, I do have an encounter with some vagrant I do exactly the same procedure as I do in any other City across the world. I say no thank you and keep moving.  You must have lived a very sheltered life not to have seen the realities of humanity out on public street, spice is just the latest trend.  So what if you happen to see one? as long as they're not bothering you.... let's not get all hysterical as if it's some major crisis where we can't so much as step out of our front doors without tripping over one. Let's also not pretend for one second that drunks, beggars, vagrancy and drug use wasn't prevalent on our streets back in the so-called good old days. Ive been around long enough to remember Peace Gardens version 1 or that Prize winning dank cesspit known as the hole in the road or had to deal with many a creature of the night bus.

If you are wanting a TV in the city centre, Atkinsons has a department selling them, Argos has pages full of them in their catalogue, you could click and collect from John Lewis and pick up at Waitrose or a short journey further I'm sure you will find one of the many Currys stores that sell televisions or pick up a television sold nowadays in any large supermarket.......  it's almost as if somehow the world has moved on and the trend of buying large bulky goods from city centre locations has evolved. It's as if there's some alternative to shopping within a city centre that people are attracted to these days.  I wonder what that could be.....

Of course parking is more difficult and costly than yesteryear because unsurprisingly, there's a global trend to get people out of their cars and on to other modes of transport. That is not just in our city but every city on the planet.  In any event, our parking is still much cheaper compared to many of our so-called rival cities.  

Now, whilst I admit that our Arena is losing out some of the more prestige gigs in favour of the new and shiny Leeds one, let's not forget that we have also had nearly 30 years ahead of Leeds on the arena front. We still also have one of the largest Theatre complexes outside the West End, our own Comedy and documentary festivals each year and several films and television shows still being made and produced in the city boundaries.  The arena, city hall and theatres all have a full schedule and the more populist touring acts still reaches us.

Finally, as for your comments on London, I can tell you as someone has to travel there very regular for work -  you must have been extremely lucky. I don't know where you went but I have seen plenty of Street Homeless in all parts of London including the more exclusive areas of Belgravia and Sloane Street. Of course you would find it "looking rather pleasant" considering it is our Nations capital and gets the vast majority of the money share. Not much different from any other capital city in the world. Hardly a fair comparator with Sheffield is it.

It's not rose tinted nostalgia though. I was born and lived in Chesterfield untill aged 24 and I think that is better than ever now. 

22 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

This pandemic thingy hasnt helped.

It is before the pandemic I last visited Sheffield. Christmas 2018. The Christmas Market was in progress on Fargate. Fantastic Christmas lights and displays.

On 24/03/2022 at 10:02, HeHasRisen said:

Yes, which was clearly the point ffs, Kevvy was making it sound like Sheffield was a warzone.

Can't really see where I made it sound like a "War Zone" ? I was just pointing out that the unnecessary Road closures have made it awkward to access the shops that are trading, especially so if you are elderly or disabled.   And as has been said your use of comparisons and language isn't called for.

Just now, kevvy said:

Can't really see where I made it sound like a "War Zone" ? I was just pointing out that the unnecessary Road closures have made it awkward to access the shops that are trading, especially so if you are elderly or disabled.   And as has been said your use of comparisons and language isn't called for.

The term "no go area" is a bit dramatic, dont you think?

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

The term "no go area" is a bit dramatic, dont you think?

And your use of "War Zone" isn't ??

To prove a point, and clearly it worked.

7 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

To prove a point, and clearly it worked.

Chill out and grow up . Cheerio !!🙄

Just now, kevvy said:

Chill out and grow up . Cheerio !!🙄

Yes, I am the one who needs to grow up, and not the person who has proclaimed a city a "no go area" because one or two street have been shut🤣🤣🤣

You wont be replying to this I assume, given you have gone,

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Yes, I am the one who needs to grow up, and not the person who has proclaimed a city a "no go area" because one or two street have been shut🤣🤣🤣

You wont be replying to this I assume, given you have gone,

Ok, last reply.    You're clearly the sort who's opinion counts and anyone who doesn't tow your line is wrong .

Well meaning people giving to beggars are a big part of the problem.  Someone died in Sheffield recently after refusing to go to hospital because they wanted to beg to get money for drugs. That is the reality of giving money to beggars.